Under Defeat HD

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bonus!

Re: Under Defeat HD

Post by Bonus! »

Well, get the collectors edition for DS, or the HD version AND a PS3. You decide.

On this forum, some people are quick to point out the most minute differences between ports, but it's not the case that those games are unplayable. I own the HD for Xbox 360, which is a fine game. Since I haven't played the DC version, I am of course unable to notice the colossal differences. I do think that the 'new order' wide-screen mode looks quite nice on a HD screen.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

I own both the Xbox360 and PS3 ports (how did that happen anyways? :mrgreen: ) and I've played the DC version....

I'm no purist, but I feel the game is broken without dual stick controls, so I only like New Order mode personally. Heresy I know...
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

synapse wrote:
rancor wrote:This thread shows the differences side-by-side:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 37#p772237
Uhm... Thanks. I guess the DC version is still the winner? It's sooooo much cheaper for the PS3...
For 15€ the Ps3 version or 10€ the 360 in Game stores is a no brainer.
New Order mode is worth playing and while arcade mode is broken, if you're not an expert you won't notice the diferences.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Pardon the bump, but I gotta ask, anyone tried this baby on a CRT? Because I am considering getting it but the problem is that I no longer have a HDTV to connect up my PS3 with because reasons. It's pretty important before I get it.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Kaiser wrote:Pardon the bump, but I gotta ask, anyone tried this baby on a CRT? Because I am considering getting it but the problem is that I no longer have a HDTV to connect up my PS3 with because reasons. It's pretty important before I get it.
This is an interesting question since it was originally developed on the NAOMI board, which is basically a DC and still looks good on CRT's.

At home I play through VGA and it looks really good. Graphics are sharp, colors are really rich.

Now in the event I absolutely HAVE to play UD at mom's (on a CRT) when I visit I keep a spare S-video cable there. Graphics are still sharp, but the colors are a bit washed out. Mind you it could be the TV I am playing on.

Gun to my head I would say that as long as you're not playing it in the wide screen mode it will probably look O.K. I could be totally wrong though. Anyone else?
My lord, I have come for you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Agree with you all the way Stevens, I've tried it on both.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

This is on sale on PAL PSN stores right now if anyone is interested. £6.50 or $11.50 AU.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I am totally biased, but this game is a steal at twice that price.
President_Obama

Post by President_Obama »

You can pick up Under Defeat HD and Demon's Souls for just over £10 on PSN. That's fucking fantastic
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:
To an entirely rational person, the whole world seems insane.
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

broken harbour wrote:I own both the Xbox360 and PS3 ports (how did that happen anyways? :mrgreen: ) and I've played the DC version....

I'm no purist, but I feel the game is broken without dual stick controls, so I only like New Order mode personally. Heresy I know...
Ugh. Dual-stick kind of ruins the game.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

President_Obama wrote:You can pick up Under Defeat HD and Demon's Souls for just over £10 on PSN. That's fucking fantastic
I bought Under Defeat HD on disk for 4.50 GBP. While that offer is gone, you can still get it on Amazon.co.uk for under 10 pounds.
near_miss

Post by near_miss »

Easily worth it. There is a annoying bug where the music liekly cuts out on the stage 4 boss iirc, (anyone know if this has been fixed?) but what a great game, I've played the dc version too, and while I didn't play it with microscopic scrutiny, am sure purists have a point, but personally the game is still amazing. Also you don't have to play with twin sticks! I think it's more fun and feels more unique with the original lock and sway shooting!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

near_miss wrote: There is a annoying bug where the music liekly cuts out on the stage 4 boss iirc, (anyone know if this has been fixed?)
No. so fucking annoying. only New Order mode though i think.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Hey guys,

Out on Long Island watching my brothers dog's for the weekend.

I gave the s video another go (cause like I could go the whole weekend without blowing shit up) and the washed out colors is in fact a result of using s video and not mom's old CRT.

Fiddling with the colors a little helped to the point where the color level was around 80% of what it is through VGA.
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

This just turned up on the American XBL Games On Demand store for $20, for all the half-dozen people who didn't own it in one form or another already. No idea if that means a disc version is coming (but I wouldn't count on it.)
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Fucking yes!!! Great catch!
How is this happening?
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Surprising to see this happen so late. Was it an initiative by XSeed? They rereleased Deadly Premonition (another Rising Star license) on GoD for 360 in the US after Ignition went belly-up and that version went out of print.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

That situation seems to have been somewhat different as apparently the "Deadly Premonition" Xbox 360 licence always belonged to Marvelous (XSeed Games' parent company) but was initially handled in the US by Ignition Entertainment.

The version on the US Xbox Marketplace is definitely the "Rising Star Games" version. The most reasonable explanation is that PSN sales have finally plateaued (and/or some profit-sharing agreement with Aksys expired and/or Xbox 360 GOD hosting fees have reached an all time low) and that they are now going after the last Xbox 360 holdouts (i.e. there is no longer any danger of cannibalizing any PSN sales). I guess that there is some room for speculation that G.Rev Ltd. may have pushed for this (though the US DD release of Strania wasn't exactly a particularly happy financial experience for them) - but there is no mention of this US Xbox 360 GOD release on either Rising Star Games or G.rev Ltd. channels.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

I bought the disc for PS3 already, but I'll snag this one too so I can play it with my stick.

I suspect some of the reason for this appearing now is due to a policy change at Microsoft.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, some stealth release, and no social media response, either from G.rev or R.S. isn't replying yet, though they may be surprised soon enough. But hey, even though it took long enough, might as well finally get it, despite it being digital, and $20 is not bad for a good title and an easy 1K, lol. :3
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Anybody with the Xbox version want to see if this will play in fullscreen 4:3 high res at, say, 1024x768 or 1280x1024? If it can, then the Xbox version would be better for 4:3 CRT monitor users like me. PS3 only goes up to 480p in 4:3.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Has anyone checked if it's IP locked? Can it be purchased outside the US with a US gamertag?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

With VGA/ViewSonic PF 790 monitor in "Arcade Mode" with "Rotate Right" the game screen seems to occupy all of the screen real-estate in 640x480/1024x768/1280x1024 (if there are any borders, they must be extremely thin). As for minor differences realize that I'm a "New Order" guy though.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

HydrogLox wrote:With VGA/ViewSonic PF 790 monitor in "Arcade Mode" with "Rotate Right" the game screen seems to occupy all of the screen real-estate in 640x480/1024x768/1280x1024 (if there are any borders, they must be extremely thin). As for minor differences realize that I'm a "New Order" guy though.
Thanks! Can you tell which, if any, of those images are scaled?

For example, Shadow Complex and Halo 3 will display at native 1024x768, but at 1280x1024 they are upscaled from a lower resolution (probably 1024x768).
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

BazookaBen wrote:Thanks! Can you tell which, if any, of those images are scaled?
No Idea - to my untrained eyes both 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024 looked about the same to me (it wouldn't surprise me if both are scaled in some way). I wonder though if the engine was optimized to be pixel perfect for yoko-play on a 1280 x 720p display - resulting in something like a 540 x 720 internal rendering of the play area - pure unscientific speculation on my part though.

Also I thought that Bungie admitted that the internal rendering resolution for Halo 3 was 1152 x 640 (so unscaled 1024x768 would result in black lines on the top and bottom and the image would be clipped on both sides)?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

HydrogLox wrote:Also I thought that Bungie admitted that the internal rendering resolution for Halo 3 was 1152 x 640 (so unscaled 1024x768 would result in black lines on the top and bottom and the image would be clipped on both sides)?
All I know is that I played Halo 3 recently at 1024x768 on my multisync CRT, and it looked pixel-perfect. 1280x1024 was definitely upscaled from something lower. It could be that the 1024x768 image was close enough that it's hard to notice. Or it could be that they messed with FOV a little since it's in 4:3 and were able to run it natively.
HydrogLox wrote: No Idea - to my untrained eyes both 1024 x 768 and 1280 x 1024 looked about the same to me (it wouldn't surprise me if both are scaled in some way). I wonder though if the engine was optimized to be pixel perfect for yoko-play on a 1280 x 720p display - resulting in something like a 540 x 720 internal rendering of the play area - pure unscientific speculation on my part though.
I imagine for a dreamcast-era game, with no major graphical upgrades outside of shadows, they can run it at whatever resolution the Xbox 360 wants. I know that some games get extra anti-aliasing as you go down in resolution, though I'm not sure if G. Rev went to the effort to enable that. I'm just happy it runs in 4:3 at those higher VGA resolutions.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Sure this is old news to everyone, but the game is now $10 on US PSN. No sign of a patch though.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
shirorm

Post by shirorm »

BazookaBen wrote:Anybody with the Xbox version want to see if this will play in fullscreen 4:3 high res at, say, 1024x768 or 1280x1024? If it can, then the Xbox version would be better for 4:3 CRT monitor users like me. PS3 only goes up to 480p in 4:3.
hello
I've just tried the japanese version of UD on a CRT TV in tate mode: it seems fantastic to me
I have the Pal version too and I tried it in both yoko and tate mode on my hd monitor, but it didn't impress me at the same level
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

CMoon wrote:No sign of a patch though.
I presume that you are talking about an "Under Defeat HD+" patch. G.rev has released that patch for the Japanese versions that it published. It seems Rising Star Games isn't interested in expending any more resources on the version that it published.

That content is only really relevant if you want to play it as a widescreen scrolling dual stick shooter - which makes it feel even less "authentic Under Defeat" than "New Order" (with original controls). As it stands:

Under Defeat HD (G.rev NTSC-J):
VKL 7.04(V)W (DLC); VKL 6.02(A)P (DLC); "Under Defeat HD+" (included/patch)

Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition (Rising Star Games PAL or NTSC-U):
VKL7.04(V)W (included); VKL6.02(A)P (included); "Under Defeat HD+" (not available)

Personally I haven't spent much time with either the VKL7.04(V)W, VKL6.02(A)P, or "Under Defeat HD+".

Edit: Corrected NTSC-J VKL 6.02(A)P status. (Thank You, Kiken)
Last edited by HydrogLox on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

HydrogLox wrote: Under Defeat HD (G.rev NTSC-J):
VKL 7.04(V)W (DLC); VKL 6.02(A)P (not available); "Under Defeat HD+" (included/patch)
It is available for download on the Japanese XBL marketplace (file size is 264 KB).