Ace Combat

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

What is your favorite Ace Combat game?

Air Combat
4%
Ace Combat 2
4%
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
29%
Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies
21%
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
8%
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
8%
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
17%
Ace Combat Assault Horizon
4%
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
No votes
Ace Combat Joint Assault
4%

Total votes: 24

Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Re: Ace Combat

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

I really hope it's not free only for PSN Plus subscribers.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

So I've spent some more time with the recent AC outings. I'm starting to like the 3DS version a bit more, even if it feels like AC 2 has been assimilated by the borg. Custom paint jobs are sweet and at least played a mission I remember. However that mission (the one in the canyon, hunting the secret enemy sub) suffered because it didn't have this track playing which really made that mission for me - the mood just is so perfect. :mrgreen:

Also started playing the PS3 of Assault Horizon I picked up last month as I found the limited edition, brand new, for the cost of a used copy.
And....ugh....we knew this, I knew this but...ugh. The aerial combat itself is actually pretty sweet although the enemies seem much more agile now so it feels like I almost have to rely on the new dogfight-mode-thing even for random enemy mooks. Though I guess better enemy AI should actually be a good thing, here it feels like I need to rely too much on that particular mechanic. Or I just suck, anyhow. :mrgreen:

Music so far hasn't been bad at all and I actually quite like the new take on interactive cutscenes which of course was impossible in the older games because we never saw our protagonist. With that out the way however, waaaay to kill my excitement with the heli missions early on. And the missions just seem to drag on, and I never realized this from playing the demo (I should've known) but I actually really didn't expect to spend this much of my time in Assault Horizon to rain fire down on terrorists in the same blue pick up trucks :roll: So, yeah, much more of a CoD wannabe than I thought...and that is sad. But it's not all bad however, if the game just would let me fly more aircraft and throw less gunner/heli missions my way. Oh, and setting that "Optimum" control scheme as default should be a punishable offence.

If Infinity does away with the helis (nothing against helis actually, just don't need them here), uses a more preferable color palette and generally stays more true to the older games, I might actually like it, I'm afraid. Was this your goal, Namco? To starve me on real AC games so you could feed me your free2pay shenigans? :twisted:
CHECKPOINT!
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

No highly-retarded DFM confirmed

http://www.reddit.com/r/acecombat/comme ... _infinity/

But still no buy for me.
Expect them to remade classic AC campaigns (including AH?) and sell them as insanely expensive DLCs at a certain point.
To starve me on real AC games so you could feed me your free2pay shenigans?
I'm pretty sure FeeToPley is $camco's primary goal for now. Just take a look at Tekken and Ridge(Burnout)Racer.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

New teaser!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xrHueStBmY

Looks good (enough?) with a secret message:

Now with 1000% more microtransactions!
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

So I read somewhere that the game was to be released today in Japan, I even made a Japanese PSN account just to check, and it seems that today isn't the day.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:So I read somewhere that the game was to be released today in Japan, I even made a Japanese PSN account just to check, and it seems that today isn't the day.

Meh, there's hadly any announcement of release date either, although I do recall back on the first-announcement day they said it'll be out somewhere on September.

Or maybe they mistook it with AC:Verdict Day.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Gespenst wrote:
Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:So I read somewhere that the game was to be released today in Japan, I even made a Japanese PSN account just to check, and it seems that today isn't the day.

Meh, there's hadly any announcement of release date either, although I do recall back on the first-announcement day they said it'll be out somewhere on September.

Or maybe they mistook it with AC:Verdict Day.
I suppose that's the reason why, but I recall reading on a website that the rumored release date was September 25.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/19/ace-c ... -for-ps3/‎
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

At least so far there's still no sign of $camco announcing any form of godwaful microtransaction in AC:I yet.

Oh wait.
Apparently, the campaign will be 5 missions long and the charge system will be for sorties and items, which I believe is limited to coop.
Well, crap. But since it has its own single player counterpart I won't complain much.

TGS gameplay videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK9PXvGaArI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49aQQEjCkdI
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I picked up AC6 since it's the only (good) one since Zero I haven't played.

Aside from GO DANCE WITH THE ANGELS!(which is kind of hilarious in its silliness), I really enjoy it. Gameplay and graphics are firing on all cylinders. I bet it's damn sure better than Assault Horizon.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Well, apparently AC:I got delayed to November, so yeah.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... creenshots
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Furry Fox Jet Pilot

OMG Next-gen Ace Combat, someone please punch me in the face, I must still be dreaming!!!!!! :D *Drools uncontrollably and passes out*
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

"With Ace Combat Infinity, we're moving back to the roots," Kono adds, "and if this is perceived well by the fans then maybe we'll take this root [for future titles]. But it totally depends on how the users react."
Okay, I really want this to be a good game now. I want to like it. Especially if that means more Ace Combat on the up and coming systems.

*Here's to hoping!* :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

May, people. Plus they're considering PvP mode too (hopefully not).
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/22/ace-c ... on-may-27/

On the bright side, recently someone's managed to rip ACAH's model and make ACAH of his own:
http://zxstudio.org/blog/author/razgriz/
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

So, seeing as Infinity is out now, what do people think?

I must say that I find it pretty entertaining, despite the F2P design and what it brings to the table.
It's definitively more classic AC than Assault Horizon, which of course is a good thing, even though it pretty much just looks & feels like AH with the DFM/other gimmicks removed.
A bit strapped for cash right now, but I'm probably going to buy the single player campaign pass on PSN in the future soon - which...might be the only thing I'm feeling like buying in the game store right now, as the rest seems to the standard F2P staple.

My main gripes right now are a lack of really interesting aircraft (I'm missing quite a few of my favourites) - although some have shown up as enemies - and a lack of variety.
I'm also not really fond with how different aircraft have different damage stats - seeing how long it can take to upgrade to a better plane, I'm getting a bit of a "pay to win"-vibe that makes me a bit worried.

Right now, at least during the time I've played, aircrafts between players have been pretty even but some more powerful planes have started to show up.

So what are you thoughts so far? If you're playing, what plane are you currently using etc? :mrgreen:
I'm using the Mirage 2000 because it seems to be the best I have, for now. The upgraded F-16C beats me on a few things, mainly mobility, but not enough for me to switch over :P
CHECKPOINT!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sounds like the perfect time to use one of those Hori Flight Stick 3 setups with Ace Combat Infinity. On the JPN region PSN site, ACI is already up & running.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

my favorite game is air combat 22 and i'm kinda unhappy that this poll doesn't prioritize it over that silly ace combat series
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:On the JPN region PSN site, ACI is already up & running.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Well, it's out in the west too now : )
EU users might have to search the store for it, as it wasn't featured on the main page.
Despatche wrote:my favorite game is air combat 22 and i'm kinda unhappy that this poll doesn't prioritize it over that silly ace combat series
Oh snap :wink:

Actually, did emulation of Air Combat 22 (and the original) ever get decent enough? I want to try those sometime.
CHECKPOINT!
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Hey guys, look!!!
KAI

Post by KAI »

AC Collection?!
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Hm...I remember hearing about that meeting. Wasn't the guy in the suit just given a PS3-cover mockup to hold for the photo at some event?
CHECKPOINT!
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

KAI wrote:AC Collection?!
Is this real? I assume it would just be upscaled ports of the PS2 games.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Ji-L87 wrote:Hm...I remember hearing about that meeting. Wasn't the guy in the suit just given a PS3-cover mockup to hold for the photo at some event?
"The guy in the suit" is Kazutoki Kono, the head of Project Aces, so this gives me hope for this project to be real! Hopefully they include AC6 as well
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

The artwork on that mockup cover is taken from Ace Combats 4, 5, and Zero, so I wouldn't expect 6. Too much effort to port to PS3 at this point, I would think, and Microsoft may still have exclusive rights to it.
Last edited by Pretas on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Pretas wrote:and X.
Zero
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Corrected, I confused it with the PSP game.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Seems the "cover" is similar to the custom cover usually found back when people petitioned for Ace Combat remasters, so I think there's still very little chance of happening.

Or maybe not.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

So it's definitely a fanmade mockup that someone handed to him, then, since there's no actual ESRB rating for an Ace Combat Collection.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242130/

Still lacks of proper content and highly unstable, but so what. Doesn't prevent people from throwing in quite amount of Ace Combat-related mods already. Plus there's another group attempting to re-create Ace Combat campaigns in there.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

KAI wrote:
Pretas wrote:and X.
Zero
Mega Man X Ace Combat would be awesome. :D