Silent Hill (Spoilers, All Series)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: Silent Hill

Post by Blinge »

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/12/599653 ... o-del-toro

A. Fucksake
B. I retain some amount of optimism
C. Silent HillS ?

..ground zeroeS -_-

Edit: considering the shit stains on the series that homecoming and downpour were, maybe this is a good sign. I just hope they draw on 1-4 and not the fucking movie
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

*shrug*

Can't really do any more damage at this point. There's a comfortable distance between KCET's stuff and outsource land anyway, sealed off forever by the nuclear wreckage of the HD Collection. And if Kojima is involved it might at least be unintentionally hilarious!

To cheer everyone up, here's some quality Garfield fan fiction.

Garfield: Royal Rescue: Garfield helps celebrate wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

The Garfield Network: Garfield teaches Mark Zuckerberg about life love, and the ladies! Based partially on The Social Network Movie.

Garfield: Sheen Instincts: Garfield talks to Charlie Sheen to save the show Two and a Half Men.

I particularly recommend "Sheen Instincts."
"We have no choice, we must waterboard you." Said Garfield with Regret.

"NOOOO." Cried out Charlie Sheen with despairing shout.

"This will hurt you more than it hurts me." Said Garfield with heavy heart.

"Is there no ways other?" Asked Jon Arbuckle with concerned face.

"This is the only way to talk sense." Said Garfield with convinced eyes.

With these sad words Garfield began waterboarding Charlie Sheen with his waterboard for sake of patriotism and civilization.

"NOOOO THE PAIIIN." Cried out Charlie Sheen.

"Only after you see the rightness of Two and Half Men will pain be ended for good." Said Garfield with truth.

After 48 hours of waterboarding Charlie Sheen began to see the wrongness in his ways.

"Garfield you are right, I was a wrong stupid idiot to leave Two and Half Men." Said Charlie Sheen with realization.

"So are you of right thinking now?" Asked Garfield with wonder.

"Yes, Thank you for waterboarding me Garfield." Said Charlie Sheen with gratitude.

"No problem, I do what is best for you." Said Garfield with pride.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

there's a lesson here somewhere..
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I'm honestly a bit Optimistic about this. I like Kojima's games, and Downpour wasn't really as horrible as it could have been. Downpour had a lot of good points that were mostly ruined by it's lack of atmosphere and commitment to the character. Had the game been darker, with scarier enemy design, and had they not made the incredibly stupid decision of allowing player decisions to affect Henry's past it would have been a good game imo. It was clearly influenced by 2, but it missed the point. SH2 allowed player decisions to affect the future, how James coped with the truth. You couldn't change the truth of his past, because that would have de-legitimized the entire experience of atonement that Silent Hill represents. Had Downpour realized that it would have been on par with the main series.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
BIL

Post by BIL »

Double Penetration is the most salvageable outsource to date, but beyond the fundamental problems in its narrative and presentation, I wish the post-Konami games would move on from James's particular arc. SH2 perfectly established an anthology format, contributing a new story and defining the town as a canvas with unlimited potential for further episodes. SH3+4's stories orbiting SH1's wasn't my ideal, but it didn't harm that potential. Then Origins, Homecoming and the movie smothered it all under EBIL CULT, and even the otherwise original SM sold itself as an SH1 nostalgia act.

So I appreciated DP's genuinely new episode. But it once again revolves around a tragic wanderer tormented by a profoundly guilty conscience (with inferior execution to boot - Murphy can also be an irredeemable cunt depending on player input, ramming a square peg into a round hole). Far less offensive than Homecoming's astonishingly brazen and facile SH2 ripoff, but still well within its established comfort zone. How about a story from the very different perspective of a Kaufmann, or an Eddie or Vincent? Or better yet someone new? How about this guy? I'd hate grueling penance to become the new cult.

Well not hate, I'd just continue ignoring new games and immersing myself in SH1-4. But it'd be a shame for the series to keep treading water after making such a strong start against typical horror sequel fatigue.

About Kojima (I'm repeating myself from a page back, but this topic spans aeons) - I respect the obvious care he takes with his pet projects, and have always enjoyed the sense of humour and affection in his works. But I could see an SH with his melodramatic, overexpository bent entering MST3k territory (with not entirely negative effect, mind). If he were reined in to production duties, I'd enjoy a sequel with the old in-house standards restored.
Blinge wrote:there's a lesson here somewhere..
Yeah! Even princes must obey the law of the fist.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

been reading impressions on GAF from people who have been playing the demo, and they've been saying it's scary as all hell. no one can really figure out what to do and I heard gamespot was failing for like 4 hours to complete the demo.

kinda interested because nothing ever came about with del toro's inSane which was announced like what... 5 years ago? and I was pretty pumped to play a game by him.

it's also crazy that kojima is so good at keeping his new projects a secret.
a creature... half solid half gas
BIL

Post by BIL »

Some-Mist wrote:been reading impressions on GAF from people who have been playing the demo, and they've been saying it's scary as all hell. no one can really figure out what to do and I heard gamespot was failing for like 4 hours to complete the demo.
I'm such a weakling, this made me kinda happy to read. :mrgreen: Absolute zero fuck-all onscreen information like the ol' days pls! Image
KAI

Post by KAI »

Del Toro=Lolis guaranteed
but seriously, this sounds like a train wreck.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Reading the GAF thread, amusing if nothing else.
KAI wrote:Del Toro=Lolis guaranteed
but seriously, this sounds like a train wreck.
SH2's loli was the best character!

I'm sure it could go badly, and/or bear little resemblance to the KCET days, but it honestly feels kind of good that for the first time in over a decade since SH4, the upcoming game has apparently not been outsourced for the lowest dollar to Screensavers R Us in darkest goatfuckville.

Small comforts. Thank you for waterboarding me Garfield.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

BIL wrote:
Some-Mist wrote:been reading impressions on GAF from people who have been playing the demo, and they've been saying it's scary as all hell. no one can really figure out what to do and I heard gamespot was failing for like 4 hours to complete the demo.
I'm such a weakling, this made me kinda happy to read. :mrgreen: Absolute zero fuck-all onscreen information like the ol' days pls! Image
that's exactly what I want and it also creates a type of tension unmatched in other horror games. you're focusing on what to do or how to get our of your situation... while putting the "zombies" as a 2nd priority.... which creates a very unnerving environment since you know the threat is there but it's pointless to seek it out.

sort of like the amnesia games where you have to solve point + click puzzles while hiding from enemies.

I'm expecting this to be more of a stealth-based game (thank you based kojima) too where you're conserving ammo and trying to use the gun sparsely. the last thing I want is another horror-action game.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

While it will probably be far better-developed than the outsourced games, I have strong doubt that Kojima has it in him to capture the less-is-more style of the trilogy's characters gradually going insane under the weight of their inner demons. I'm picturing him taking the route of "solving" Silent Hill and providing a theatrical, conspiracy-driven explanation of everything.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I guess that's true... if MGS4 is anything to go by (I still haven't played the newest one). Here's to hoping that Kojima is strictly on gameplay and Del Toro is in charge of the dialogue/story.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I still have a copy of Silent Hill 1 sitting unplayed in my room. I really need to get on that; I guess I haven't been in a spooky mood. It's a series I've really been meaning to play.

I've watched some playthroughs of Downpour and such, and I am aware enough to know those do not represent the general series in terms of quality. As far as the new batch, anyone should be cautiously wary of Kojima's directing skills, but at least Del Toro can whip up some creepy designs.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

EmperorIng wrote:I still have a copy of Silent Hill 1 sitting unplayed in my room. I really need to get on that; I guess I haven't been in a spooky mood.
If possible for a much better experience play it while you're alone, at night, in a quiet environment.
And turn the volume up.

If you can play it in that kind of setting, please don't sit on a pricey sofa and don't wear pants (or wears Huggies instead, whatever).
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Zerst wrote:While it will probably be far better-developed than the outsourced games, I have strong doubt that Kojima has it in him to capture the less-is-more style of the trilogy's characters gradually going insane under the weight of their inner demons. I'm picturing him taking the route of "solving" Silent Hill and providing a theatrical, conspiracy-driven explanation of everything.
Particularly with the current lack of previous games' writing staff, that would definitely be my number one apprehension about his involvement. And this series' threshold for over-exposition is already very low. Even the relatively literal SH3 was careful to leave its supernatural elements ambiguous, peripheral to the human characters and their motivations. My favourite aspect of this series is that just as in mundane reality, it could be there's no "god" or higher meaning out there at all, only a bunch of neurotic primates doing donuts in the parking lot. Just with added metaphysics funnin'.

I sometimes imagine how SH2 might've gone in lesser hands. It usually involves a fiendish plot to resurrect the god of SH1's cult by luring in tormented souls with promises of POWWA, a flying, lightning bolt-flinging Eddie and pyromancing Angela being the penultimate bosses before the ultimate showdown with acolyte Laura. At some point, a villain is thrown out a window Hans Gruber-style.

I get a pretty good feeling from what's been revealed of this so far, though. I'm going to treat it like the prior in-house games and not pay it too much attention from now until release.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

BIL wrote:I sometimes imagine how SH2 might've gone in lesser hands. It usually involves a fiendish plot to resurrect the god of SH1's cult by luring in tormented souls with promises of POWWA, a flying, lightning bolt-flinging Eddie and pyromancing Angela being the penultimate bosses before the ultimate showdown with acolyte Laura. At some point, a villain is thrown out a window Hans Gruber-style.
D:

Now that's horror.
BIL

Post by BIL »

"I knew it, James! You've been makin' fun of me all along! But with my new powers..."

*sounds of electricity arcing violently*

"ZAPPIN' A PERSON AIN'T NO BIG DEAL!"
Spoiler
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Love that Benimaru hair :lol:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote: this series' threshold for over-exposition is already very low.
Dear Kojima san pls read this
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

For a while there I was confused about why people were talking about CAVE arcade hardware in a Silent Hill thread.

\_0_o_/

I wish I could get into these games a bit more, but limited resource mechanics always bum me out too much.
BIL

Post by BIL »

SH1 and SH2 are actually really generous with ammo and health items - to a fault, some say. You're also free to carry as much as you like, and their mid-game melee weapons can actually kill stuff effectively. So as long as you don't do anything really silly, like seeking out infinitely respawning monsters to fight in the streets, they're nowhere near as tight with inventory management as the typical oldschool RE. SH3's a bit more stringent and SH4 finally introduces an inventory cap and the Box O' Doom, but again they're pretty mild by hardcore survival horror standards.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

kinda interested because nothing ever came about with del toro's inSane which was announced like what... 5 years ago? and I was pretty pumped to play a game by him.

it's also crazy that kojima is so good at keeping his new projects a secret.
I haven't read anything about it, but I had to stop. It's late and I wasn't going to sleep well if I spent another minute. I even went into the PSN store so I could be sure it wasn't still running. :D
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

brentsg wrote:It's late and I wasn't going to sleep well if I spent another minute. I even went into the PSN store so I could be sure it wasn't still running. :D
I'ma seep in 40 minutes, and am starting to watch a youtube playthrough of it as we .txt
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's never the same thing as playing a horror game yourself. More like watching someone watching a horror movie. But not as good.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

BIL wrote:It's never the same thing as playing a horror game yourself. More like watching someone watching a horror movie. But not as good.
+1

Agreed please don't watch it, you'll ruin it for yourself. The experience can only be truly appreciated during your first blind run.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I pooped myself from the scary hallway right at the start (pictures were hanging on the walls, so scary) and then some unpleasant things to look at appeared and about 14 minutes in I decided it wasn't the kind of thing I wanted on my mind while going into sleep mode.
ACSeraph wrote:The experience can only be truly appreciated during your first blind run.
Considering the last console I got for myself was the Playstation 2 back in 19 dickity 2, well, even if I didn't prefer the experience vicariously to begin with it'd be some long eons before I'd get the chance.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Wut?! I had the impression you, too, were a vet of the chest-crushing nightmare that is... Ecco Teh Dolphin for Sega Genesis :shock: (the prehistoric areas still make me feel all nasty, uuugh)

GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU GROSS DUNKLEOSTO-FUCK
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

BryanM wrote:I pooped myself from the scary hallway right at the start (pictures were hanging on the walls, so scary) and then some unpleasant things to look at appeared and about 14 minutes in I decided it wasn't the kind of thing I wanted on my mind while going into sleep mode.
I quit at probably the same point you did, but I was unnerved. And get this, in the middle of the night my A/C freezes up and I had to go down into the basement storage room with a flashlight at about 4AM. Not good timing..
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'm stuck at the end of the demo. i've gotten past the speeded up section but now I'm stuck. I watched the youtube and the phone rings but my phone didn't ring so I don't think I can finish the demo.

I'll play another go now and see if I can finish it. Strangely its the first thing i've ever played on my PS4 for any great length of time lol.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

^ the crazy thing is that a lot of the playthroughs differ quite a bit which is kinda cool... you might just have to do something different than what you've been seeing on the youtube videos.