STGT Gaiden - Week 2 discussion thread (Xed)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KennyMan666

STGT Gaiden - Week 2 discussion thread (Xed)

Post by KennyMan666 »

The game for the second week of STGT Gaiden - Doujin Label is Xed!

Discuss here.

Original voting post below.

---

Well then.

Time to reveal the second week of games you can vote for for STGT Gaiden.

And these ones, you might not have heard as much about as the ones you had to vote for last week, because for week two, we want to highlight some of the lesser known doujins out there.

Week two is thusly Obscure Week!

And here's the games. Currently with short blurbs because I've barely played some of them and I almost forgot I was meant to post this topic today!

Solid State Survivor
Quite manic and Cave-y, Solid State Survivor does not mess around.

DoTonpachi Maximum
Gustav's at it again. If you think the graphics look weird, no, that's not just you.

Demolition Gunner
A frantic little game with lots of bullets. Your helicopter angles its shot as you move to the sides, allowing you to do some sweeping motions. There's two game modes - stay tuned to find out which one we're actually going to play!

Sonic Ironstorm
From the same company and a sequel of sorts to Demolition Gunner, Sonic Ironstorm is superficially similar but plays a bit differently. In particular, it's even more fast-paced than Demolition Gunner. Two ships to choose from, the game is only three stages long but you get to select a route out of the six existing stages.

Xed
A little-known gem, this. Kill enemies to charge up your Xed gauge and trigger it to "reflect" enemy bullets to kill enemies fast.

Voting works just like last week, each captain PMs the team's vote to both me and nasty_wolverine. Deadline for the vote is the same as the deadline for the current weel's score submissions - in other words, 16th August 2014, 23:59 UTC.
Last edited by KennyMan666 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Captain

Re: STGT Gaiden - Week 2 voting

Post by Captain »

Once again, I shall vote XED, and everyone will follow because THE CAPTAIN did so.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

Now this should drive most out of their depth. :D

Also, as a teaser, week 3 will be familiar territory, may be too close to home.

@captain: be nice, and pm. doesnt hurt anyone. the dice might not roll to your favor this time. FOR GRAET JUSTIKCE!!!
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Okay, Loser Gaidens, start sending those PMs!
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Wow, I actually already had all of those except for DoTonpachi Maximum. Are you sure these are all obscure?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
nasty_wolverine

Lord Satori wrote:Wow, I actually already had all of those except for DoTonpachi Maximum. Are you sure these are all obscure?
Well, a little obscure. If it was completely obscure, we would have never found them. get it?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Thanks for bringing these awesome games to my attention. I'm really enjoying the atmosphere and gameplay in Xed, as well as the awesome fast dodging in Demolition Gunner (I really hope you choose original over remix if this gets picked). I'm trying out everything right now before I decide on my vote.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Which one has the lowest minimum system requirements?
nasty_wolverine

mastermx wrote:Which one has the lowest minimum system requirements?
All. anything that runs on my machine, should run on every one elses. because mines 7 years old, and was a mid-tier one performance-wise even when it was assembled.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Never underestimate shitty work computers. The other day I saw a pc running on a celeron processor... Last time I saw one of these I was studying, and waiting for half life 2 to come out.

Looks like I might have to start sneaking in some shmup time during breaks. Otherwise I won't be able to keep up.
nasty_wolverine

voting closes tomorrow. I havent received any votes yet. Dont forget!!!
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

I've gotten, uh, one vote.

Yeah.
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

anyone knows what's needed to get XED working through wine?

seems my issue is with hspdx... but not sure..
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Just under 12 hours to go and I've recieved a total of two votes. Y'all need to get your votes in.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Four hours left to vote, five votes received.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Voting's closed! As Captain once again refused to PM in a vote from Great Justice, the vote ends with a tie between Solid State Survivor and Xed.

So I shall have random.org generate a random number between 1 and 100. If the number is odd, Solid State Survivor wins, if it's even, Xed.

The number that was generated was 20, meaning the winning game for obscure week is Xed. Captain lucks out again, the tiebreaker landing on the game he said he'd vote for but never actually sent in a vote that would be counted for.

What I'm trying to say here is stop being dumb and start actually PM your votes to us.

nasty_wolverine will make the scoring thread soon-ish, I assume.

Also, fun fact: When the first four votes for this week were in, four games had gotten one vote each.
Squire Grooktook

Did my vote get counted ;_;
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Given that the voting rules state that the captains are responsible for sending in their team's votes, I couldn't count it. But given Captain's behaviour with voting, we might have to do something about this because he's kind of being a dick to the rest of his team. At least the d100 rolled in your favour.
Squire Grooktook

I'm starting to think it's time for a good old fashioned mutiny.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Anyone got any ideas for getting Xed to run on a Windows 8.1 laptop with an integrated graphics processor? Whenever I start it up the screen goes black and won't do anything else until I close the program...
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Well bugger. I was really hoping for Solid State Survivor. :(

On the bright side, a new game I haven't played before. This'll be interesting I hope. :)

EDIT: Aside from the generic piano MIDI tunes I can't stand, it spews an error and crashes whenever I finish a game and choose to save a replay slot. Tried XP compatibility mode and running with Admin rights. Any ideas?

Code: Select all

---------------------------
HSP Error
“à•”ƒGƒ‰[‚ª”­¶‚µ‚Ü‚µ‚½(12)
OK   
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Same on my end, We'll have to screen shot out initials before hitting "END" and then failing to save our replay.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Well, huh. That was news to me, but it does happen to me too. Never actually tried to save a replay in it before.

I got a screenshot of the error message in Japanese but according to rancor it just reads "An internal error has occured", so no additional clues from that.

Anyway, when prompted to save a replay, hit the Xed button (default X) to cancel the replay save feature, and you should get to enter your initials for the score ranking list at least - I have a bunch of scores saved there but have never saved a replay and didn't know of the crash so I know that works, at least.

Or maybe the score initial entry is before the replay save. Anyway, game doesn't crash if you just cancel out of that, so it's the specific act of the game attempting to save the replay that screws it up.

Given that the ships have no names, but are marked in the scoreboard with blue and red frames, I suggest we simply refer to them as Blue and Red for the scoreboard. There's also an unlockable ship that I haven't unlocked so whatever colour that has in the ranking screen I guess.
KennyMan666

Re: STGT Gaiden - Week 2 discussion thread (Xed)

Post by KennyMan666 »

By the way, I have a bit of an issue with the problems with Xed reported in this thread.

Namely, that none of you reported any problems before the voting was already over.

If you find any problem with any of the games as you try them out to decide which one to vote for, report them to the voting thread immediately. If there's bad enough problems, we can do something about that, pull the game or something. We have only tried them on our own computers, and these are doujin games, they sometimes have a tendency of not acting the same on different computers.

So not saying anything until voting's been closed makes it look like you didn't try all of the games before voting.

But you wouldn't do that, now would you?
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

didn't i?

and then i got drunk and forgot to submit my highscore
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Well, you asked about getting it working in Wine. Which isn't really reporting a problem with the game as such.

I'm somewhat surprised someone would actually enter a STGT where all the games are freeware doujins made for Windows expecting to have it all play fine in Wine.
nasty_wolverine

Yazphier wrote:didn't i?

and then i got drunk and forgot to submit my highscore
you were right, the issue is with hspdx. its something called "Hot Soup Processor", some kind of weird interpreter used for scripting. and a win95 game if it helps. unfortunately dont a have *nixbox to test.
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

KennyMan666 wrote:Well, you asked about getting it working in Wine. Which isn't really reporting a problem with the game as such.

I'm somewhat surprised someone would actually enter a STGT where all the games are freeware doujins made for Windows expecting to have it all play fine in Wine.
true, I was however promised that most of them would (and yes, most have been working)

As i wasn't able to get it running, testing if there was other issues with it is not that easy <cough>
nasty_wolverine wrote:you were right, the issue is with hspdx. its something called "Hot Soup Processor", some kind of weird interpreter used for scripting. and a win95 game if it helps. unfortunately dont a have *nixbox to test.
yea...
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
Squire Grooktook

So here's what I've noticed about Xed so far:

-Bonus enemies appear that seem to be best handled by a reflect attack. They drop extra points.

-Xed rate at the end of the stage? I'm guessing you're rewarded for using as many reflections as possible?

-Killing enemies recharges reflect bar. Can it be charged fast - point blank kills? grazing? speed kills?

-Doesn't seem to be any bullet cancelling bonuses on bosses, so just kill them as fast as possible?

-Extra enemy waves seem to show up if you kill certain waves faster.

Unless there's anything I'm missing, scoring seems pretty simple and un-intrusive in this one. I guess just reflect as much as possible , kill everything quickly, and focus on no missing stages for the extend bonuses?
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.