Mars Matrix (new thread)

Plasmo

Re: Mars Matrix (new thread)

Post by Plasmo »

Megan Crimson wrote:Mars Matrix High Score using different ship, aiming for both scoring and exp

Mosquito 1 - 999,999,999,990 pts - 7,148,877 EXP by ATH-Megan
Mosquito 2 - 999,999,999,990 pts - 7,136,558 EXP by PMT-Vince
Those experience scores are pretty unbelieveably good. Do you have any replays at hand?
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Rob

Post by Rob »

Inspiring exp levels. They're almost identical, but I take it the first score is you and the second is a friend's?

Do you chain level 6? That's the one stage I still can't manage.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I think it's reasonable to ask for a little bit more of somebody who comes out of nowhere and posts an experience count that is way above what anyone else has on the table. Since it's the AC version, it shouldn't be hard to record a similarly high scoring MAME replay.

On the other hand though, if you add up Rob's stage 2, 3, and 5 score attack videos that he posted
2.09m + 3.15m + 2.66m = 7.9m
This means it should theoretically be possible to get 7.15m without even chaining stage 6 (or 1 or 4, for that matter).
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Rob

Post by Rob »

LordHypnos wrote:On the other hand though, if you add up Rob's stage 2, 3, and 5 score attack videos that he posted
2.09m + 3.15m + 2.66m = 7.9m
This means it should theoretically be possible to get 7.15m without even chaining stage 6 (or 1 or 4, for that matter).
I'd bet 20+ million exp is possible in godly hands. Tiny improvements can really add up.

Exp listed in my DC score attack charts are a little higher than the videos-

1: 651,024
2: 2,263,525
3: 3,773,519
4: 1,199,684
5: 2,732,833
6: 143,570 (...)
total: 10,764,155

I should've been able to top my old score long ago, but I love playing the stages individually.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

That's a shame. I'd love to see a 9-10m run of Mars Matrix, but I can understand that. Score attack mode is the purest form of Mars Matrix scoring, and as interesting of a survival game as it is, for me, the scoring seems to be where it really shines.

EDIT: Here's mine. they're pretty bad by comparison :lol:
All blue ship
Stage 1 - 333,320
Stage 2 - 211,458
Stage 3 - 1,032,947
Stage 4 - 272,598
Stage 5 - 558,050
Total - 2,408,373

Not too bad if I could actually put it together into one run, but I guess not. Also, I have yet to have as good of a stage 1 or stage 3 run as I did those specific times. I think it was something like +770 and +1400 respectively.
1) Create Scoring System
Rob

Post by Rob »

Score attack mode is the purest form of Mars Matrix scoring,
It's more about enjoying the chaining on its own (than watching the score - the score feels like it only starts to begin at level 6) and playing without being nervous or conservative. I need to get the score attack totals to 13-15 million before I can get to 10 in a complete game. Need room for significant error.
they're pretty bad by comparison
Looks like a solid foundation to me. The hardest part is getting any kind of chain going. It's not my first or second favorite, but working on level 3 provides (by far) the largest boost for not so frustrating effort. Connect a decent chain to the freebie fountain and you should have a reliable 2 million.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Rob wrote: It's more about enjoying the chaining on its own (than watching the score - the score feels like it only starts to begin at level 6) and playing without being nervous or conservative. I need to get the score attack totals to 13-15 million before I can get to 10 in a complete game. Need room for significant error.
Well that's kind of what I mean. You can go for really high chains in score attack, and just restart if you don't quite make it. You have to be a lot more conservative in a normal game, because restart = start at the beginning of stage one, and it's not like you can connect a chain between levels, anyway, so if you just want to enjoy chaining (generally what I think of as "scoring" in MM), score attack is the best for that.
Looks like a solid foundation to me. The hardest part is getting any kind of chain going. It's not my first or second favorite, but working on level 3 provides (by far) the largest boost for not so frustrating effort. Connect a decent chain to the freebie fountain and you should have a reliable 2 million.
Thanks :) . My best runs have actually been that. Chaining from a bit after the beginning through the waterfall and then a little after. But I usually only get about 800k-1m even then. It does make the biggest difference to my experience whenever I manage to do it, though, I've noticed that. I've definately chained stage 2 from the rotating turret a few times, but failed to chain the third stage at all, and ended up with only like 700,000 (total) or so (or if I die in the middle of the waterfall maybe even less.). I suppose I could probably imitate other people to get a bit better of a route in stage 3, though, without too much additional risk. I tend to have a lot of trouble imitating people, but it'd probably be worth it.

EDIT: basically confirmed that Megan Crimson is posting fraudulent scores, if it matters to you. Tons of WR level scores and not even a screenshot / photo to prove it
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Hate to change my post count to something other than 666, but I can't let this slide, I made it to stage 6!!!! :shock:
581,248,126,480 - 1,933,819 - Lord Hypnos - 2 - 6

And this time I actually managed to save the score in my local table! :mrgreen:

Pretty good run with the exception of the stage 4 boss for some reason (I've gotten really consistent on him recently, too :x )
No miss to S4 boss
Died twice during the whiplash attack, of all things :x
Died once near the end of stage 5
Inexplicably managed to no miss S5 boss in spite of how much I was shaking 8)
Basically didn't remember my route for stage 6 because it's been ages since I last practiced, so I lost my last two lives pretty early on, there.

Chained pretty well on S1 (+730ish in the stage, and around 300,000 ep by the end)
Nothing remarkable about stage 2 chaining, but I managed to be around 430,000 after the boss, which is good.
Broke my chain partway through the first half of stage 3, but only once. around +1100 after the waterfall
I think it was something like 1,200,000 or 1,300,000 by the end of the stage.
Pretty good chaining in S4. managed to chain the first part (I don't always) probably something like +400, then +350 or so from the midboss (I haven't bothered learning to bridge that gap yet)
What I did manage to do quite nicely in S4 was the experience fountain there (been practicing that recently) around +600 I think. Can't remember how much experience.
Chained most of S5, though it wasn't too great of a chain. I think it was like +1000 before I died. Still not too bad though (probably should have practiced S5 before doing the run)
No chaining in S6, because nobody ever chains S6. Lotta points from the many large enemies in the stage though, even though I didn't survive too long.
1) Create Scoring System
Rob

Post by Rob »

Excellent. :] I've just started warming back up over the past week. Mars Matrix refuses to age.
+400, then +350 or so from the midboss (I haven't bothered learning to bridge that gap yet)
This is one of the spots where rapid piercing is almost essential, so you can get some cubes from the sides of the midboss and weaken it for a long charge/finishing blow.
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

this is the best damn shooter I've ever played and one of the most replayable games you can find, regardless of the genre.

I played three times tonight, but there is something I have a hard time to grasp: what is chaining exactly? (I come from a Gradius/Thunder Force background and have just warmed up to ''newish'' STG in the last few months...)
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Rob wrote:Excellent. :] I've just started warming back up over the past week. Mars Matrix refuses to age.
+400, then +350 or so from the midboss (I haven't bothered learning to bridge that gap yet)
This is one of the spots where rapid piercing is almost essential, so you can get some cubes from the sides of the midboss and weaken it for a long charge/finishing blow.
It is a pretty awesome game in a lot of respects :mrgreen: Hard to imagine it getting old. Especially with the DC version also including that lovely arrange mode (with the not-so-lovely practice mode with all those extra cubes). Definately looking forward to what you'll be able to accomplish now that you're back to it.

As for the midboss strat, I'm pretty sure that's actually what I'm doing. hahaha. I get varying amount of cubes coming off of it from my piercing cannon though. I think I got over +400 from it alone once in practice, but it's usually +300 to +370 or so. Mind you, that's without connecting either the earlier part of the stage (where I get around +400 or maybe like +450, I think, if I can keep the chain going, though that number might be off. I did about well as ever this time, though). It seems like continuing the chain involves going from the right side of the mid boss to the left as collecting the cubes that the guy sheds when you pierce him. I think Moreno manages to do it in his counterstop video, with the red ship and no auto, no less, but it's been a while since I've watched it.

@Nintendo Saturn:

From the shmup glossary in shmups chat:
Chain: Any of a number of various repeated techniques a player can perform to increase the points awarded for shooting enemies, collecting items, or other things under the right circumstances: the most common varieties involve shooting down many enemies (or enemies of a specific type) quickly in a row, or collecting a certain type of score item many times in a row. Often utilizes a multiplier. Sometimes called “combos.”
There's a very good summary of chaining specifically in Mars Matrix in the forum's Mars Matrix ST thread
1) Create Scoring System
Rob

Post by Rob »

LordHypnos wrote:lovely arrange mode (with the not-so-lovely practice mode with all those extra cubes).
Yeah, this is the one real crying shame of the port.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Here's my best score so far :
Spoiler
ImageImage
MAME (JP version)
13,883,220,900 - 250,329 - M.Knight - 2 - 3

I have not managed to defeat the stage 3 boss yet.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

The trick to getting past MM bosses 2 and 3 is killing them quickly. It's not too hard once you've figured it out. I could try to give you some assistance if you'd like, though watching some gameplay videos would probably be your best bet. Captain Ransom and SFKhoa both have good ones (done in MAME) with the blue ship (though neither is what I do), on Youtube. Moreno's (red ship) might be helpful to watch, too, depending on how he's going about it (can't really remember).

Also: always nice to have another person playing :mrgreen:
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:Hate to change my post count to something other than 666, but I can't let this slide, I made it to stage 6!!!! :shock:
581,248,126,480 - 1,933,819 - Lord Hypnos - 2 - 6

And this time I actually managed to save the score in my local table! :mrgreen:

Pretty good run with the exception of the stage 4 boss for some reason (I've gotten really consistent on him recently, too :x )
No miss to S4 boss
Died twice during the whiplash attack, of all things :x
Died once near the end of stage 5
Inexplicably managed to no miss S5 boss in spite of how much I was shaking 8)
Basically didn't remember my route for stage 6 because it's been ages since I last practiced, so I lost my last two lives pretty early on, there.

Chained pretty well on S1 (+730ish in the stage, and around 300,000 ep by the end)
Nothing remarkable about stage 2 chaining, but I managed to be around 430,000 after the boss, which is good.
Broke my chain partway through the first half of stage 3, but only once. around +1100 after the waterfall
I think it was something like 1,200,000 or 1,300,000 by the end of the stage.
Pretty good chaining in S4. managed to chain the first part (I don't always) probably something like +400, then +350 or so from the midboss (I haven't bothered learning to bridge that gap yet)
What I did manage to do quite nicely in S4 was the experience fountain there (been practicing that recently) around +600 I think. Can't remember how much experience.
Chained most of S5, though it wasn't too great of a chain. I think it was like +1000 before I died. Still not too bad though (probably should have practiced S5 before doing the run)
No chaining in S6, because nobody ever chains S6. Lotta points from the many large enemies in the stage though, even though I didn't survive too long.
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I know how long you've been at that game LH. Great work!
My lord, I have come for you.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

LordHypnos : The stage 2 boss is defintely a walk in the park with the right approach and does not last long, so it is good to know the stage 3 boss can be quick-killed as well. I'll try to come up with a strategy on my own before checking out videos if I am really stuck. I guess it boils down to using the shield during the proper patterns and piercing as much as possible.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I know how long you've been at that game LH. Great work!
Thanks. I still have a long way to go, but Making it to Stage 6 was a big step. A few months ago that would have seemed impossible.
M.Knight wrote:LordHypnos : The stage 2 boss is defintely a walk in the park with the right approach and does not last long, so it is good to know the stage 3 boss can be quick-killed as well. I'll try to come up with a strategy on my own before checking out videos if I am really stuck. I guess it boils down to using the shield during the proper patterns and piercing as much as possible.
Yeah, basically. You can't kill it quite as fast as the stage 2 one, but I'd say you can kill it before it gets too dangerous pattern wise. I did used to have a lot of problems with those giant purple bullets though, but then figured out a strategy to make them pretty easily dodgeable.

In a sense, this is also how killing the 4th boss works, too, but you can't avoid having to dodge some seriously gnarly patterns on that one. Don't worry about that now, though :wink:
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Argh! So close and yet so far

812,723,228,960 - 2,359,684 - Lord Hypnos - 2 - 6
Spoiler
Died in the 2nd stage, died on the final car of the 5th stage boss, and the rest were really embarassing and stupid deaths on the 6th stage. I continued and proceeded to die only once more before clearing. Such a bad 6th stage

Also am really surprised by the EP, pleasantly, though 8) I bet I would have broken 1,000,000,000,000 if I had cleared!
Another note: Ended up with 1.6 million ep in stage 4 before (!) the gold cube fountain, so that's pretty cool. Must've chained stage 3 really well. I think I did pretty well on stage 1 chaining. Not especially good on stage 2, but a normal amount. Full chained stage 5.
1) Create Scoring System
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Keep pushing brother, I wanna see this clear
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

It looks like the day I'll see you 1cc Mars Matrix is close at hand. I'll say it with ACSeraph: Keep going LordHypnos, it ain't too far now! ^^
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I just saw your update on RS, Hypnos. :)
This seems to be shaping into a mighty 1CC score, keep pushing it!
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Thanks for the support guys! I was literally within a couple of seconds of the clear earlier today, but didn't quite get it. I died on the last pattern that the rose form of the final boss shot, and if I hadn't stupidly died on the first form would have totally made >_< So close! Unfortunately my score was pretty low that time (lower than that RS score you were talking about, Kollision). It would be awesome if I could manage that 2.3 or so mill when I do finally clear it. That would be over a trillion for sure!
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

OMG!

Post by LordHypnos »

OMGNOWAIWTFTAKETHATMARTIANREVOLUTIONARYSCUM!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!eleven!

1,177,519,631,500 - 2,505,809 - Lord Hypnos - 2 - ALL

Managed to get lv. 8 shot by the end of the 3rd stage, died attempting to milk the gold cube fountain in stage 4, but managed to recover and milk it anyway. no missed up to the boss in lv. 5 but broke my chain half way through. died on the third and final cars (final car is cheap as fuck, btw!). Then no missed all the way till the 6th stage final boss. I either died on the rose (which would make sense) or else the final form (WTF is wrong with me if so! >_<). So altogether pretty sweet. Also, lets not forget that I got the final digit 8)

EDIT: PEW PEW MUTHAFUCKAZ!
EDIT2: I'm actually pretty sure I died on the final form of the boss >_<
Last edited by LordHypnos on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
1) Create Scoring System
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Hypnos

CONGRATURATIONS :D
and welcome to the pink club! :mrgreen:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Kollision wrote:Hypnos

CONGRATURATIONS :D
and welcome to the pink club! :mrgreen:
Thanks, Kollision! I can't believe how much I've improved in just the past few month at scoring ^w^
I knew I'd get the clear, but I didn't predict that I'd get the pink digit so soon :mrgreen:
1) Create Scoring System
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

So you finally nailed that 1CC? Congratulations, man! :D
Are you going to keep playing to improve your score or to get a proper replay? It seems like you have some room for improvement.

Best of luck for the next games you'll tackle, by the way! Though given how long you stuck with Mars Matrix for the clear and how you may have greatly improved your skills by playing it, I don't think much luck will be necessary. :lol:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

M.Knight wrote:So you finally nailed that 1CC? Congratulations, man! :D
Are you going to keep playing to improve your score or to get a proper replay? It seems like you have some room for improvement.

Best of luck for the next games you'll tackle, by the way! Though given how long you stuck with Mars Matrix for the clear and how you may have greatly improved your skills by playing it, I don't think much luck will be necessary. :lol:
Thanks M.Knight! Yeah, there's much room for improvement (pretty much always is in MM). I intend to someday beat Randorama's Dreamcast score, but for now I'm gonna take a break from MM.

As is, in a perfectly ideal run where I didn't screw anything up, I'd probably end up with around 3.1 million experience (Still quite a bit short of Rando's score). Getting 2.5 is therefore pretty decent I'd say

I did however manage to get a replay, if you don't mind shitty digital camera footage :P

I'd say the run was overall around as good as my clear with the differences being that I got probably the lowest experience in the first stage that I've not restarted on in a while, managed to chain the second stage from the turret (which probably about made up that earlier difference), died a little early in my 3rd stage chain (but it was still quite good, got me to 1.5 million), really botched the gold cube fountain in the 4th stage (probably got about half as long of a chain as usual), and managed to full chain the fifth stage (which is not unusual, but I failed to in my high scoring run). As for deaths, I think it was in basically the same places except that I died in the 3rd instead of the 4th stage. Also ended up with slightly lower score and slightly higher experience.

I certainly wouldn't mind some feedback from more experienced players than myself, if any of them happen to be reading this :wink:

TL;DR: WATCH MY MARS MATRIX 1CC GUYZ!
1) Create Scoring System
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Excellent job! Mats Matrix is a beast, that's seriously nice work. Looking forward to seeing what's next.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Rob

Post by Rob »

LordHypnos wrote:I certainly wouldn't mind some feedback from more experienced players than myself, if any of them happen to be reading this :wink:
Video quality is crystal clear compared to the garbage I posted. Also like the button-clacking live feel.

As for more substantial feedback - well, you have a really good handle on the game and I think you are aware of what can be done better. I'd just be repeating myself if I mentioned level 3, but I like being repetitive. You could easily slide into #2 and maybe #1 ;] if you mastered that stage. I clearly need to get back to gold panning.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

CStarFlare wrote:Excellent job! Mats Matrix is a beast, that's seriously nice work. Looking forward to seeing what's next.
Thanks CSF! I'm not sure what's next, yet!
Rob wrote: Video quality is crystal clear compared to the garbage I posted. Also like the button-clacking live feel.
As for more substantial feedback - well, you have a really good handle on the game and I think you are aware of what can be done better. I'd just be repeating myself if I mentioned level 3, but I like being repetitive. You could easily slide into #2 and maybe #1 ;] if you mastered that stage. I clearly need to get back to gold panning.
Thanks! Yeah. I know you're right. I was having a lot of trouble following your route though for some reason, when I was trying to at one point. I've never been much good at copying routes. For my current ones, I really only copied more general strategies if anything. Are there any sort of specific parts of it that are more significant than others, might I ask? The prospect of getting #1 or 2 is definitely a tempting one.

And what about that gold panning anyway? Are you ever gonna try to increase that top score of yours? Shouldn't be too hard, considering the improvements that you've made in score attack mode. You might even be able to beat it by the end of stage 5 or something :)
1) Create Scoring System