S2RPS - Beat 'Em Up 911

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

S2RPS - Beat 'Em Up 911

Post by Blinge »

*NOW AN ALL PURPOSE BEAT 'EM UP, AKA BRAWLER AKA BELT SCROLLER STRATEGY THREAD*

I'm gonna try and 1cc this.. but man, I suck.

I know you have to work on spacing and crowd control, but I can't ever seem to arrange the enemies, even just one on the other side of the pack (and me) causes me no end of grief. I end up just mashing special attack to stay alive and depleting a lot of my health.
I read in a guide that it's better to throw/grab some enemies, but just walking into someone to throw them is a pretty alien concept to me, even when i try from above/below I get hit most of the time.
that El Gato guy is an asshole!
Last edited by Blinge on Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Re: Final Fight Advice?

Post by BIL »

Excellent Haggar 1CC guide with commentary by ex_mosquito here (plus bonus sexy cosplay)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

It's very very difficult to 1cc. I gave up and moved on to something else. Good luck though, I'll expect a thread update with your success in three years time. :mrgreen:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

haha, noted.
And Cheers BIL

This game easier or harder in Co op?
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

you'll want to learn the turn-around punch now, and I'll just say Cody is a good choice. I'm biased, but going on a stabbing spree is great.

Skykid's right, it's a ridiculous 1CC though.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

stryc9 wrote:you'll want to learn the turn-around punch now
I think it's best if you didn't. Feels like you're abusing an exploit and isn't as satisfying if you beat the game that way. I feel my Captain Commando 1cc wasn't such a great achievement because I exploited the turn-around attack to hell and back.

I just barely got the 2cc on Final Fight, the last stage in particular is brutal. I could post some tips but the video above probably has everything you need to know.

Best of luck.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

My best advice would be to play a better game. FF is hard due to how extremely limited and sluggish the characters are, plus the little throw and wakeup invincibility.

Go for The Punisher, it retains the classic Capcom beat'em up feel while adding lots of options and lacks FF's dumb stuff. Captain Commando would be a good pick too to learn the basics, I guess, before you move on to more modern stuff like Alien vs Predator and Dungeons and Dragons.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Oh by the way, don't pick Guy. He's the weakest character and generally the toughest one to beat the game with. Either pick Haggar for a slow but absurdly strong character or Cody who is balanced but rip enemies to shreds with the knife.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Captain

Post by Captain »

final fight advice
Firstly, train for several years, and gather info about your adversary, then aquire weaponry unless you want a literal fight.
Make sure your adversary is completely alone when you strike, and show your skills, weaponless fights are 10% manlier.

In case your adversary was also preparing for this, please refer toe exibit 523-how to outman someone.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

stryc9 wrote:you'll want to learn the turn-around punch .
could you elaborate on that? thanks
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

IIRC, you do two hits, turn around (face away from the enemy) and do a third attack. This will reset the chain, enabling you to face the enemy again, do two hits and turn around combos infinitely. It's funny how the only advanced combo in the game is a bug.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Once you have mapped the enemy formations from every spot in your brain and learn how to get rid of them suitably, it's just a matter of good reflexes and cold blood to deal with the variables that will pop up at each different playthrough.

and great taste on tackling Final Fight, it's pure old school bliss and a very satisfying 1cc
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

BIL wrote:Excellent Haggar 1CC guide with commentary by ex_mosquito here (plus bonus sexy cosplay)
Hah, sexy cosplay :) I couldn't resist using that when I was looking for a title image. Amazing!

Good luck ok the 1cc, it's defiantly tricky but it shouldn't take you years of practice.. My main advice would be to memorise the enemy layout as best you can. Knowing when and where enemies come on can make all the difference when trying to control the screen. Also, on certIn sections it is best to limit the mount of enemies that come on screen so it doesn't get too out of control. Myself, I do this by using the background gfx as a landmark so there is no guess work. This strat is particularly useful at the start of the last stage which is one of the harshest sections without any energy, so you don't want to get unnecessarily swamped with enemies and losing precious health, even taking a couple of crappy random hits from punks can lose you 50% energy. I personally use the billboard gfx in the background for this section. Also, are you aware that if you hold 'up' whist doing a combo, on the last hit you'll do a throw in the opposite direction. I can't stress how key this move is to getting good at Final Fight, it's vital! Personally I feel the infinite punch is a cheap way to get a Final Fight 1cc, sure it works but I feel dirty if I abuse it too much. That's why on my 1cc recording I only used it in the stage 1 boss for a quick kill.

I'm off to work in a min but here's a little blurb I posted on another thread a while ago:

"Personally I think the element that makes it so tricky is all down to the recovery speeds of a knocked down enemy. For example: The blue grunts take the longest to get up, the punks a little quicker, Andre quicker still and knifemen the fastest. When all these enemy types are mixed together all with different attack priorities and recovery speeds, causes everything to thrown out of sync. Even more so after 5+ enemies all fall at the same time after a melee attack or a flying kick.

It's a very well designed game when you think about it. It feels like no enemy is just randomly placed in an attack wave, they feel cleverly crafted. I believe the different attack waves and enemy types have a specific idea/challenge about them. For example a scenario could go: 3 knifemen at once = easy to handle. One full knockdown and their recovery times are synced, easy to handle. Take a knifemen out and put in a single less threatening blue grunt in and the whole situation is a lot harder to handle, everything is out of sync. This is why the opening section on stage 3 is so tough. It's just a shitload of different speed recovering grunts and a single Andre, but because everything is out of sync and they're all recovering at different speeds it's bloody chaos!"
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

I've played final fight on and off. It's indeed very tough, I've seen many complain that is cheap, but I think it's like all the other arcade games of its time. How would you guys rate it, against other arcade games like Makaimura, is it tough. I know that they say most other beat em ups are easier than FF.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

mastermx wrote:I've played final fight on and off. It's indeed very tough, I've seen many complain that is cheap, but I think it's like all the other arcade games of its time.
I expressed my feelings about it best as I could here.

Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

mastermx wrote:I've played final fight on and off. It's indeed very tough, I've seen many complain that is cheap, but I think it's like all the other arcade games of its time. How would you guys rate it, against other arcade games like Makaimura, is it tough. I know that they say most other beat em ups are easier than FF.
I'd place it above average difficulty for the time but it's definatly doable with a little practice and focus. I personally can't comment on the difficulty of the other Capcom scrolling fighters, Final Fight was the only one I ever played more than a couple of credits on. I'm not really a huge fan of the genre really, but there was something special about Final Fight when it first came out.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Skykid wrote:my feelings
Like a lot of things i read about this era, that article makes me nostalgic for an age I never experienced.

Nice writing.
Last edited by Blinge on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Blinge wrote:
Skykid wrote:my feelings
Like a lot of things i read about this era, that article makes me nostalgic for an aged I never experienced.
Great, that's the whole idea. The majority of EG's readership are too young to have been there at the time of most retrospectives, but if I can channel a little nostalgia I'm happy.

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Hagane wrote:My best advice would be to play a better game. FF is hard due to how extremely limited and sluggish the characters are, plus the little throw and wakeup invincibility.

Go for The Punisher, it retains the classic Capcom beat'em up feel while adding lots of options and lacks FF's dumb stuff. Captain Commando would be a good pick too to learn the basics, I guess, before you move on to more modern stuff like Alien vs Predator and Dungeons and Dragons.
I agree with Hagane. There are much better beat em' ups to spend your time on. I'll add Streets of Rage Remake to his suggestions.
My lord, I have come for you.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Final Fight is one of those beat-em-ups that was obviously designed to be a quarter muncher. The last two stages are just too much to handle on one credit without severely exploiting the mechanics. I wouldn't put that label on any of Capcom's later belt scrollers though, even Captain Commando is quite well balanced.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Pretas wrote:Final Fight is one of those beat-em-ups that was obviously designed to be a quarter muncher. The last two stages are just too much to handle on one credit without severely exploiting the mechanics. I wouldn't put that label on any of Capcom's later belt scrollers though, even Captain Commando is quite well balanced.
I have to agree, sadly. I mentioned the same last time the FF topic came up: it's a superb game sullied slightly by commercial greed, as I realised after throwing in the towel on a clear. Not impossible, but it stopped being fun for me after a while.

louisg

Post by louisg »

Pretas wrote:Final Fight is one of those beat-em-ups that was obviously designed to be a quarter muncher. The last two stages are just too much to handle on one credit without severely exploiting the mechanics. I wouldn't put that label on any of Capcom's later belt scrollers though, even Captain Commando is quite well balanced.
Not to derail the thread, but I felt like that about the last stage or so of Streets of Rage 2. I know there's no profit motive there, but it feels like it just wants to make you use up as many credits as possible at that point. Or do you think that's doable and I should practice more? :D
Humans, think about what you have done
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

louisg wrote:
Not to derail the thread, but I felt like that about the last stage or so of Streets of Rage 2. I know there's no profit motive there, but it feels like it just wants to make you use up as many credits as possible at that point. Or do you think that's doable and I should practice more? :D
SOR2 is a pretty easy 1cc on defaults. Lengthy but easy. On hard it pushes back somewhat.

FF is way more stringent: death if you let in a few good shots and absolutely airtight management required at all times.

amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Great article, Skykid.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Skykid wrote:
louisg wrote:
SOR2 is a pretty easy 1cc on defaults. Lengthy but easy. On hard it pushes back somewhat.

FF is way more stringent: death if you let in a few good shots and absolutely airtight management required at all times.
Ahhh good to know
Humans, think about what you have done
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

This brings back memories of finishing SOR2 as a kid. Man seeing that ending was one of the highlights of my childhood. What a game.

I did beat final fight back then too. But it was a port, and I must of used all the continues. Playing the arcade version really angers me. It just seems impossible. I can't make it very far into the game. Worse yet I can hardly figure out why I die most of the time.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Pretas wrote:Final Fight is one of those beat-em-ups that was obviously designed to be a quarter muncher. The last two stages are just too much to handle on one credit without severely exploiting the mechanics.
Is this the same forum that's voted Battle Garegga #1 shmup of all-time for years running? :P

Final Fight arcade wipes the floor with Streets of Rage. 8) (imo)
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Skykid wrote:SOR2 is a pretty easy 1cc on defaults. Lengthy but easy. On hard it pushes back somewhat.

Agreed. The biggest factor is the run time in SOR2. Hard and Hardest settings still aren't a patch on FF's difficulty, Mania I hear may be a different story but I haven't got around to that yet, still trying to 1CC Hardest. It's the boss rush on the elevator before Mr X that tends to kill my credit on that setting.

I tend to struggle with Final Fight CD as well. Considering the max 4 enemies on screen limit of that version, you would think it may be a nice version to try to beat and yet it still throttles me. Anyone know how/if they rebalanced that version difficulty wise?
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Mania on SOR2 is pretty crazy, even more if you try it with 2 players (As the game throws more enemies to compensate). I've done once with a friend, but Jesus, it makes for a completely differente experience.

On defaults, I rememeber I 1cc it on my 2nd try. It's a pretty easy game, and I always think that's one of the reasons people like it so much (Also the variety on attacks and enemy types).

SoR 3 was a lot harder. SoR 1 was a little bit harder too.
1KMS

Post by 1KMS »

I read in a guide that it's better to throw/grab some enemies, but just walking into someone to throw them is a pretty alien concept to me, even when i try from above/below I get hit most of the time.
Try using throws as combo enders by holding up, down, or back before the last hit.