N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mickcris

Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*

Post by mickcris »

It is possible that there is something wrong with your power adapter (like outputting too much voltage) and it is damaging the chip that Jason replaced. May have got zapped again when you plugged it back in at your house as it was working fine for him after he replaced that chip.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I don't know. Maybe I'll send him the adapter I'm using, and let him see.

EDIT: He said that can't be the problem.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I posted on Jason's video about this issue as well. I had the same thing happening with a kit that was faulty. Tim himself told me my problem was the pixel clock is not being synchronized with the video data correctly at start up. There is a good chance yours is the same issue.

It does not matter how long you run the system, it will happen randomly when you power up the system (mine would show the problem 1 in every 10 times the system was powered on and off, could be more or less). It is an intermittent issue on power up, resetting the system when the problem is not present will not make it show up. The system has to be power cycled to see it. Sometimes you can power it on and off for half a day without seeing the problem then it will randomly start doing it again.

Things Tim said could be the culprit...

1.) There is not a good connection on pins Ext0-3
2.) You are using a noisy power supply
3.) The power supply you are using has a startup time greater than 20ms
4.) Poor Ground Connection
5.) One of the three resistors next to the ground and 3 pads of the palette select are bad.

Try using an official power supply and if you are, try buying a new one (just in case yours is having issues) to rule out problems 2 and 3
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'll pass that along. Thanks.

I am using an official power supply though. I have two of them.
Skips

Post by Skips »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I'll pass that along. Thanks.
I also forgot to mention the amount of speckles in the picture was random as well. Sometimes it would have a ton of them and sometimes it would look as if it was working right but you would see the occasional one once you got in game. The rest of the time it would work right. You really have to test the crap out of it (by power cycling it, not resetting it) to make sure the problem is present or not.
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Jason has done a ton of testing.

We've changed the CPU, SRAM. He even changed the whole board.

Now he's gotten the same speckles with another NESRGB modded top loader.

OK, you guys that aren't having these problems....are any of you using an EverDrive N8 and a top loader? Or are you using front loaders?
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Jason has done a ton of testing.

We've changed the CPU, SRAM. He even changed the whole board.

Now he's gotten the same speckles with another NESRGB modded top loader.

OK, you guys that aren't having these problems....are any of you using an EverDrive N8 and a top loader? Or are you using front loaders?
Famicom version N8, Sharp Twin Famicom.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I should be more specific.... a NES 101.

I'm starting to think this may be an issue with this model.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Famicom N8 and AV Famicom, latest batch and crystal clear video.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I've never had a single issue with the Everdrive on my top loader. Technically I have the Famicom version of the N8 but it's not too different than the NES version.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So, you're running the Famicom ED thru an adapter?
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

evil_ash_xero wrote:So, you're running the Famicom ED thru an adapter?
Yes, I'm using a Gyromite converter with an external audio mod.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I have a NES 101 with a NESRGB also, no problem on the N8 with it.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

More updates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igv-zp-hRog

Looks like it may be a problem with the reset switch in the NES 101s.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

I have a 1st batch NESRGB board in my NES-101 and have used my everdrive on it quite a bit and never have seen this issue. I wonder if its a compatibility problem with the ram chip, that was switched out on the NESRGB board after the 1st batch, that caused the background fault. Maybe if Jason still has a 1st batch NESRGB board laying around (not likely) he could try that on your console?

edit:
! also sent this email to Jason with this idea.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

I've eliminated most possibilities. The things that might still be issues are: nes-101's clock or reset circuit, and maybe the nesrgb's ram chip.
It seems like Tim made the original ram chip available to ppl wanting to fix 2nd batch nesrgb's hardware instead of doing the firmware, so if I can find that chip I might be able to fix or eliminate it as the problem.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

mickcris wrote:I have a 1st batch NESRGB board in my NES-101 and have used my everdrive on it quite a bit and never have seen this issue. I wonder if its a compatibility problem with the ram chip, that was switched out on the NESRGB board after the 1st batch, that caused the background fault.
That can't be considering the NESRGB I have in my top loader is a second batch board. I've also installed second batch boards on other top loaders and never encountered this particular problem.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

ApolloBoy wrote:
mickcris wrote:I have a 1st batch NESRGB board in my NES-101 and have used my everdrive on it quite a bit and never have seen this issue. I wonder if its a compatibility problem with the ram chip, that was switched out on the NESRGB board after the 1st batch, that caused the background fault.
That can't be considering the NESRGB I have in my top loader is a second batch board. I've also installed second batch boards on other top loaders and never encountered this particular problem.
It could be you haven't tried hard enough, it sometimes takes all day to make them appear, but turning it on and off and resetting a lot seems to make them appear faster.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

game-tech.us wrote:
ApolloBoy wrote:
It could be you haven't tried hard enough, it sometimes takes all day to make them appear, but turning it on and off and resetting a lot seems to make them appear faster.
Could it possibly be the reset switch itself causing the noise? Maybe it got more abused on some consoles.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

game-tech.us wrote:It seems like Tim made the original ram chip available to ppl wanting to fix 2nd batch nesrgb's hardware instead of doing the firmware, so if I can find that chip I might be able to fix or eliminate it as the problem.
Jason - For what it's worth mine have the original revision board and still exhibit this.
adimifus

Post by adimifus »

I have an NESRGB from the first batch with the original firmware still on it (1.0?) installed in an NES-101 with a Famicom Everdrive N8 (+Gyromite converter). I've never seen any kind of speckling like the pictures here or in the Game Tech US videos. I tried leaving my NES on overnight, occasionally resetting and power cycling it trying to get them to show up, but I've never been able to.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Yeah I haven't heard of any fami everdrives having the issue either, could be another clue...
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Do you have access to one? It wouldn't be terrible to have another one but I don't have a real need for one either. I do have a nice Famicom adapter.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Time to start over with a new top-loader and EverDrive? :shock:
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, other top loaders have the problem, and I have two different EverDrives. I actually have 3 EverDrives. :lol:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Take one for the team and buy a Famicom ED!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Me? No way! :lol:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Haha. I really don't want to either but probably would if Jason could show it made them go away. I tried to offer him my black Sharp NES controllers lol.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Yeah, if it made them go away, I would sell off my NES EverDrives, and just go with that. But I need to know for sure.

And I don't see enough hands on with this theory yet. There's still people out there whose NES EverDrives work fine for them, and their top loaders. So, I'll wait and see on that one.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

I'm going to let Jason borrow my Famicom Everdrive to test for you guys. I am going to mail it to him tomorrow so hopefully you will know soon if the NES version is the problem or not.