NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
leonk

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by leonk »

Wow lots of hostility in this thread. Play nice people.

Sync is one of the most misunderstood subject when it comes to video. It's like that because companies save $$$ by stripping the sync signal from composite video to get you sync for other signals (ie RGB). By definition RGB doesn't have sync. You need to feed sync to your display device on a seperate cable.

In the simplest form (arcade monitors) had a seperate horizontal and vertical sync only cables along with RGB. Newer models have H and V mixed together in a single cable. Extra circuit is needed in display device to seperate it as electron guns use H and V independently in the end. TVs have even more circuits to strip sync from composite (yellow RCA wire) video to get their sync. Makes cable simpler, and less jacks, but again more complex circuit.

C sync is what people should use. Only reason to use composite sync (V) for sync is if you have really old XRGB and didn't upgrade firmware to support CS# correctly.
APE992

Post by APE992 »

leonk wrote:Wow lots of hostility in this thread. Play nice people.

Sync is one of the most misunderstood subject when it comes to video. It's like that because companies save $$$ by stripping the sync signal from composite video to get you sync for other signals (ie RGB). By definition RGB doesn't have sync. You need to feed sync to your display device on a seperate cable.
It's misunderstood because people come into this thinking it's a great way to make some money and don't realize that to understand it takes a bit more knowledge than you have just by following a guide.

As evidenced here. Not saying everyone has to rush out to get an EE BS but people don't even care to read up on what they're doing and just roll with it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

leonk wrote:C sync is what people should use. Only reason to use composite sync (V) for sync is if you have really old XRGB and didn't upgrade firmware to support CS# correctly.
Speaking of confusions, you didn't mention what C sync is before. I assume you mean "clean sync?"

I'm far from knowledgeable about sync on arcade boards - I guess I'm lucky as my supergun has SCART output that works fine for RGBs. And this isn't RGBHV but RGBs. For the NESRGB clean sync is apparently a big deal, but for every other system it seems to be no big deal. I can use lots of stuff on my PVM with no problems from RGBs, which I assume is going to be composite video for most of them. (But honestly I don't know about that detail.)
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Speaking of confusions, you didn't mention what C sync is before. I assume you mean "clean sync?"
CSync = Composite Sync (Horzontal + Vertical together)
CVideo = Composite Video (NTSC/PAL video output) from which the sync signal can be "extracted" when needed.

So you could say clean/raw/composite sync and mean the same thing. The trip word is composite because composite sync and composite video are two different things that contain the word composite.

As for the NESRGB, ideally...CS# (Composite Sync) is desired, however sometimes others have had better luck pulling sync from composite video or even the luma line in order to get their sync from the board - This has been done to correct output issues.

This is why darcagn mentioned the benefit of using the multiout connector. You can have both composite video and raw/clean/composite sync available at the plug and just switch out the cable in order to try new things. And if you wire it up for everything (including S-Video), you could literally have three cables for RGB - One with CSync, one with composite video for sync, and one with luma for sync.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Hmm, must be tired; leonk didn't mention RGBHV.

Yeah, I get what the types are, but these abbreviations are wack. Much prefer "(composite) video as sync" and "clean sync" myself.
Yeah, the point about the multi-out is a good one; plugs like that make choosing a sync type less of a problem. For many people using CRTs still, though, I'm not sure this is normally a big problem no matter what we choose.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

darcagn wrote:As I have explained multiple times in previous posts to you, the multiout connector provides many different signals (left audio, right audio, composite video, composite sync, chroma, luma, red, green, blue, +5V, +12V, ground). If you're making a console with a multiout connector, you should hook up all of these signals. That's the whole point of a multiout connector. You choose what signals you want to use by purchasing the correct cable.

If you are seeing a problem with scrambled video when the multiout connector has all of its pins connected which it should, then something is wrong, perhaps with your cable. On many (but not all) Nintendo systems that have RGB output, both composite sync and composite video are available on the multiout connector. Perhaps something in your cable is bridging the two pins? I suggest you look into this, because if you happen to plug that cable into a console that has +12V on the pin 3, as many PAL systems do, and if somehow pins 3 and 9 are connected, then you will send 12V to your upscaler or television's composite input, which will probably not end well.
And as i have said many times, i know that the multiout socket main purpose is to have all pins connected up, but what am i going to do?, connect both sync's up regardless if i know doing so is causing issues?, so i remedied the issue by removing one sync and used the sync (c-sync) which was said to be most desirable for the NESRGB mod. I informed vault to get the NTSC version of the scart lead from retrogamingcables as that doesn't have resistors in the cable, but sadly he had already purchased the PAL version, what i didnt notice was they do 2 types of NTSC scart leads and that i hold my hands up to annd apologise for.

I never said i have a PHD in the in and outs of Video sync theory, and a lot of people on here have forgotten more than i ever know (you included darcagn) on this subject, but im competent at soldering, following instruction and simple schematics, have carried out many a mod, if something not work as it should do i try and get it working

darcagn wrote:If you have to ask this question, then you obviously don't understand what c-sync and c-video even are. In which case, I'm sorry, but you really shouldn't be modding systems for other people. You can use three different types of signals for your sync output.

Composite video signal = luminance (brightness) data, chrominance (red/green/blue) data, horizontal sync data, and vertical sync data all in one signal = GOOD
S-Video luma signal = luminance (brightness data), horizontal sync data, and vertical sync data in one signal = BETTER
Composite sync signal = horizontal sync data and vertical sync data in one signal = BEST

If you understood this, you would easily be able to deduce that c-video is the one with potential interference problems, and c-sync being just sync data obviously does not have that problem.
I did not me in general i ment where the NESRGB mod was involved, as i knew some people mention slight interference on this thread when using c-video and c-sync was a stronger signal its also been stated to get a NTSC RGB scart cablesas these dont have resistors in them and are not needed as the NESRGB already has them
darcagn wrote:Regarding your N64, the N64 model you have (NUS-CPU-04) is missing the c-sync buffering circuit, so it doesn't have c-sync and it's not worthwhile to rebuild that circuit when 99% of cables do not use c-sync anyway. Even though I had already finished your mod yesterday (just haven't gotten around to preparing it for shipping) as a courtesy to you and to prevent any further confusion, I unboxed and re-opened the N64 and I connected the luma signal to the c-sync pin. While it's not exactly c-sync, it's the next best thing and usually using luma fixes any problems for people who have problems with c-video as sync.
You can infact get c-sync from a REV04 N64 and doesnt even require building a circuit, and it is actually recommended to use c-sync as it eliminates the X pattern hatching effect you get from using c-video. All that is need is to cut the trace going to pin 9 on the mulitout and bridge pins 3 and 9 on the multiout together, thats it, doing this you can still use a PAL SNES RGB scart lead...so vault should still been able to use his PAL RGB SNES lead he got from retrogamingcables
APE992 wrote:Lettuce you aren't remotely qualified to be charging people money for your work unless you want to end up like Drakon mocked from here to Russia and back.
APE, how about you wind your neck in!, you have what 2 posts on this forum. This is the install i did for vault, its clean and tidy.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/izs6n6e0x0kr5 ... .50.23.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi1ucbrv20fi8 ... .58.18.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn0f2lokedt5s ... .58.27.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8faprphq735v ... .02.21.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlqftvoginpc9 ... .38.25.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxwuqpnn4tlmx ... .39.18.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6h38k0pwefcm ... .39.49.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4k0ih21hqol9 ... .45.45.jpg

so dont even think of comparing me to Drakon, theres no hot glue in sight!!!

I dont like to get personal, but when members attacks me im not going to sit back and take it, nor am i going to ship a mod to a customer which in my eyes was not working, i found a simple fix and changed it. I test 3 scart leads with vaults system and got all the same results, i was using NTSC scart cables (as they dont have resistors) and got the same results with all of them. Suggestion appear to point to the scart leads used i didnt make these and are bought from 3 different (highly reputable) companies, what has been wired incorrectly inside these scart cables that cause this issue??. I wasnt sure if it was the NES, NESRGB or xrgb-mini combination that was causing the issue, i knew how to sort it so i did...knowing that vault had the same setup to me, so i knew if it worked this end it would work for him.

If vault wants he can send the NES and PAL scart lead back to me and i attach the wire back up for c-video and test for no extra charge or i can send him the wire (just plug in) and if his happy yo open the NES up he can just connect the wire up...i cant say fairer than that.

I dont make a living out of modding consoles and i dont brandish myself to be the next GameTechUS ( i probably dont ask nowhere near as much) i just try and help people out where i can, after this i probably wont anymore.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Lettuce, respectfully; I believe that you're confused about sync and how it works operationally with RGB capable equipment.

If you're using a proprietary Nintendo multi-out, just wire it up in accordance to its pin-out, that's all you need to worry about. The source of sync should be changed via the cable. Regardless if you want to use Composite Video, Luma, or Composite Sync that's stripped by the NESRGB via the onboard LM1881, all of those changes should be done via the cable. Without a switch or modification in the SCART hood, you can't wire multiple sync sources together to the Video/Sync input (Pin 20) on the SCART head.

Ie: If you want your console to use Composite Sync, only wire Composite Sync to pin 20 of the SCART connector, leaving Luma and Composite Video unconnected on the SCART end of your RGB cable.

It defeats the purpose of installing the female multi-out connector if you move the outputs around on it, and wire it to your own liking. That effectively breaks the standard, and thereby, breaks compatibility with all Nintendo Multi-Out cables. There might come a day when you or the client may need to use Composite Video or S-Video and can't because you've wired the multi-out out of spec.

It's all a learning experience, you'll get there.
Last edited by Voultar on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

APE992 wrote:Lettuce you aren't remotely qualified to be charging people money for your work unless you want to end up like Drakon mocked from here to Russia and back.
Hey, hey, hey! No need to get nasty, mate - this is supposed to be a learning environment and there's no call for rudeness. If someone doesn't know something, we teach - we don't mock.

While I think it would be wiser for Lettuce to educate himself a bit more before offering his services, I don't think it's okay to be rude like that. Don't be so quick off the jerk-train, Ape.
"Thanks for the nice reply. I do offer to do work without hot glue too if people prefer it that way." - Drakon
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

It continually baffles me how much the subject of composite video versus composite sync is brought up in these forums. I feel like I read it mentioned every single day.

My gut feeling is the hype surrounding this subject stems from very rare occurrences of people actually having equipment that needs one over the other in order to work properly, and I mean very rare.

Then this ethereal subject just snowballed from there and gained the monstrous corporeal form that it now enjoys.
Hypersport

Post by Hypersport »

Hi, I live UK and have a NTSC front loader and one of Tims newest boards + scart cable kits. Is there anyone in the UK doing the mods for customers?
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

lettuce wrote:And as i have said many times, i know that the multiout socket main purpose is to have all pins connected up, but what am i going to do?, connect both sync's up regardless if i know doing so is causing issues?, so i remedied the issue by removing one sync and used the sync (c-sync) which was said to be most desirable for the NESRGB mod.
What you should do is figure out why it is not operating properly and fix it. Don't sell something to someone that doesn't work right except if you employ some kind of hack. That leads to situations like what we're dealing with right now. Your customer is unhappy. Do the job right or don't do it at all.
lettuce wrote:You can infact get c-sync from a REV04 N64 and doesnt even require building a circuit, and it is actually recommended to use c-sync as it eliminates the X pattern hatching effect you get from using c-video. All that is need is to cut the trace going to pin 9 on the mulitout and bridge pins 3 and 9 on the multiout together, thats it, doing this you can still use a PAL SNES RGB scart lead...so vault should still been able to use his PAL RGB SNES lead he got from retrogamingcables
What you are describing is a hack to get c-sync on c-video cables on N64's that have c-sync and you don't want to buy a proper c-sync cable. That's just modifying the pinout of the multiout, and you should never do that for general customers. It does not restore c-sync on consoles that don't have it, and the Rev04 N64 does not have c-sync. If you did that on a Rev04 N64, since there is nothing to take c-sync from (pin 3 is completely dead!), you would essentially be killing the functionality of all cables except S-video cables. Again, please, it does not sound like you know what you are doing! You should not be charging people for this!

The only way to get proper c-sync on a Rev04 N64 is tap the unbuffered c-sync from the chip that generates it, then build a proper buffering circuit, then connect that circuit to the pin 9 on the multiout.

I don't mind coming on here and helping anyone, anyone can look through my posts and see that I spend a lot of time answering questions for people, simply because I enjoy helping on a subject that I feel I am knowledgeable, and when I do help others it helps solidify my knowledge on the subject as well. I am not trying to personally attack you, you obviously have good intentions here, but I don't think it's right that you are doing these mods and charging people for them if you don't actually understand what you are doing, and not only that, but you are on here asking questions to us so that you can support your customers. If you can't answer these questions yourself, then you shouldn't be doing the mods for money.
Last edited by darcagn on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forks

Post by Forks »

I recently just got this mod done on my AV Famicom, and while most games look flawless, as I've gone through testing, I've found issues with background colors in a select few games, though they are pretty important games (Mario 1, Zelda 1, Castlevania 1).

Here's a link to a video I made showing these issues: http://youtu.be/mPZNcT4JqDU

This is captured through a Framemeister using RGB. I didn't do the mod myself. Is this an issue that's come up before?

Note that I'm playing these through a NES to Famicom cart converter, which has always worked flawlessly for everything except Castlevania III.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Updated the firmware to 1.7 yet? Or you can wait for RGB32 to come in here and tell you it's an installation error :roll:.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Forks wrote:I recently just got this mod done on my AV Famicom, and while most games look flawless, as I've gone through testing, I've found issues with background colors in a select few games, though they are pretty important games (Mario 1, Zelda 1, Castlevania 1).

Here's a link to a video I made showing these issues: http://youtu.be/mPZNcT4JqDU

This is captured through a Framemeister using RGB. I didn't do the mod myself. Is this an issue that's come up before?

Note that I'm playing these through a NES to Famicom cart converter, which has always worked flawlessly for everything except Castlevania III.

Do you know which version of the firmware your NESRGB is running? You should update it to the latest firmware if you don't have the latest already.

The background fault is something that is common with older firmware revisions, however, I have not seen it manifest itself in the way it is appearing on yours. Update to 1.7 if you haven't already, and if you continue to have issues, I'd contact Tim about it.

More info here: http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/background_fault/
Forks

Post by Forks »

darcagn wrote:Do you know which version of the firmware your NESRGB is running? You should update it to the latest firmware if you don't have the latest already.

The background fault is something that is common with older firmware revisions, however, I have not seen it manifest itself in the way it is appearing on yours. Update to 1.7 if you haven't already, and if you continue to have issues, I'd contact Tim about it.

Thanks. I don't know anything about updating the firmware. Does it require some special hardware? I have a friend who is experienced in programming, and he can do soldering too... he might be able to help me, but I actually had this mod done by the US distributor of NES RGB. Can the software update be done while the chip is in the system, and is that hardware fix equally as good? I believe this chip must be one of the ones from the May 2014 batch that is mentioned there.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

How do I set the different pallets with just a jumper wire?
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

Einzelherz wrote:How do I set the different pallets with just a jumper wire?
Just solder one of the palettes you want to ground. That's pretty much it. If you want the option to change them, you might want to think about using a switch.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Forks wrote:
darcagn wrote:Do you know which version of the firmware your NESRGB is running? You should update it to the latest firmware if you don't have the latest already.

Thanks. I don't know anything about updating the firmware. Does it require some special hardware? I have a friend who is experienced in programming, and he can do soldering too... he might be able to help me, but I actually had this mod done by the US distributor of NES RGB. Can the software update be done while the chip is in the system, and is that hardware fix equally as good? I believe this chip must be one of the ones from the May 2014 batch that is mentioned there.
I would contact your modder first to ask him if he knows which firmware was used. The software update can be done while it's in the system, you need to solder an Altera USB programmer (costs about $10 on eBay) with 6 wires and then plug it into a PC and update it using the software at that link.

I would not try any of the hardware fixes, as I haven't seen it manifest itself exactly in that way before and we don't know if that will fix it. And it's better to update the firmware anyway as it fixes other bugs too.
LaC

Post by LaC »

Anyone try adding a NESRGB to a twin famicom? Can't really find any guides out there. There are none on Tim's site, I did get the proper twin famicom kit from him though.
I've only done them for a top loader and toaster. But seems like it's pretty much the same. Not sure if you have to do something different with a Famicom vs an NES though.
It's for someone else, and an expensive console, so I'd like to avoid any issues as much as possible.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

LaC wrote:Anyone try adding a NESRGB to a twin famicom? Can't really find any guides out there. There are none on Tim's site, I did get the proper twin famicom kit from him though.
Several of us have already including myself. It's really not much different than other consoles, you just install it upside down since the PPU is located right next to the cart slot.
eightbitminiboss

LaC wrote:Anyone try adding a NESRGB to a twin famicom? Can't really find any guides out there. There are none on Tim's site, I did get the proper twin famicom kit from him though.
I've only done them for a top loader and toaster. But seems like it's pretty much the same. Not sure if you have to do something different with a Famicom vs an NES though.
It's for someone else, and an expensive console, so I'd like to avoid any issues as much as possible.
ApolloBoy wrote:
Several of us have already including myself. It's really not much different than other consoles, you just install it upside down since the PPU is located right next to the cart slot.
Here's my not-so-fancy-or-clean install you can at least reference which way the board should be oriented:

Colored wires going to the power board in the event you want to swap out the DIN connector with a proper DIN8 and make the necessary cuts:

The DIN connector you swap in has to have to be fully pinned as the stock on in the system is not. You also may want to double check the pin outs on the connector, I ran across some on eBay that didn't follow standards.

With that you can you just use a readily availble Neo-Geo AES Mono audio (which is split into both Left and Right channels) SCART cable:

Of course you can wire it up to whatever you want, I just went with the simplest route without cutting in the chassis.
LaC

Post by LaC »

eightbitminiboss wrote:
ApolloBoy wrote:
Here's my not-so-fancy-or-clean install you can at least reference which way the board should be oriented:

Colored wires going to the power board in the event you want to swap out the DIN connector with a proper DIN8 and make the necessary cuts:

The DIN connector you swap in has to have to be fully pinned as the stock on in the system is not. You also may want to double check the pin outs on the connector, I ran across some on eBay that didn't follow standards.

With that you can you just use a readily availble Neo-Geo AES Mono audio (which is split into both Left and Right channels) SCART cable:

Of course you can wire it up to whatever you want, I just went with the simplest route without cutting in the chassis.
Thanks!
I was hoping I wouldn't have to swap the DIN, the neogeo cable I already got. I was hoping to use the existing din connector and just rewire it. The cable already seems to fit.
Did your PPU have a heatsink? How did you remove it?
eightbitminiboss

LaC wrote: Thanks!
I was hoping I wouldn't have to swap the DIN, the neogeo cable I already got. I was hoping to use the existing din connector and just rewire it. The cable already seems to fit.
Did your PPU have a heatsink? How did you remove it?
Unfortunately the RF DIN that's already in it has 8 holes, but only 4 I believe are actually pinned. My PPU did not have a heatsink. Never seen that before, only on PC10 PPU's. :shock:
leonk

Post by leonk »

Wow. We are about to hit 100 pages in this thread!!! And the craziest thing ... I read practically every post since it started. ;(
GohanX

Post by GohanX »

Hey guys, wondering if I could get some help here. I installed a NESRGB ver 1.7 into an AV Famicom I just got yesterday. Everything works great except for expansion audio. It works fine when using an Everdrive, but I get nothing from using a real FDS system. The game I'm using to test is the FDS version of Legend of Zelda. Here's how I hooked it up:

Cut pins 45 and 46. Wired pin 46 to the expansion audio spot on the NESRGB board via a 100k ohm resistor. Connect CPU pins 1 and 2 to the Audio A and B on the NESRGB board. Cut a trace on the audio pin of the multi AV connector and wire it to the audio out of the NESRGB.

Did I get that right? Am I missing something?
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

GohanX wrote:Hey guys, wondering if I could get some help here. I installed a NESRGB ver 1.7 into an AV Famicom I just got yesterday. Everything works great except for expansion audio. It works fine when using an Everdrive, but I get nothing from using a real FDS system. The game I'm using to test is the FDS version of Legend of Zelda. Here's how I hooked it up:

Cut pins 45 and 46. Wired pin 46 to the expansion audio spot on the NESRGB board via a 100k ohm resistor. Connect CPU pins 1 and 2 to the Audio A and B on the NESRGB board. Cut a trace on the audio pin of the multi AV connector and wire it to the audio out of the NESRGB.

The Famicom and NES mix audio together very differently. The Famicom generates system audio and sends it to the cartridge via pin 45. The cartridge then mixes the system audio with the expansion audio, and outputs it via pin 46. Pin 46 then outputs out of the console.

I have yet to do an AV Famicom installation, but my guess is that you would cut pin 45 and then put the NESRGB audio output to pin 45 instead, so that it goes to the cartridge, and then pin 46 should not be cut and stay intact. That's only a guess, though, I have yet to do one.
Forks

Post by Forks »

GohanX wrote:Hey guys, wondering if I could get some help here. I installed a NESRGB ver 1.7 into an AV Famicom I just got yesterday. Everything works great except for expansion audio. It works fine when using an Everdrive, but I get nothing from using a real FDS system. The game I'm using to test is the FDS version of Legend of Zelda. Here's how I hooked it up:

Since you're using an AV Famicom with 1.7, could you by chance be able to test Super Mario Bros., Zelda 1, or Castlevania 1, to see if you get background issues like the ones in my video here? http://youtu.be/mPZNcT4JqDU These are NES carts, but I also found a fault in the opening cutscene for Famicom Wars (gray background that should've been black). Before the mod, my NES to Famicom converter worked flawlessly on all my games, except for Castlevania III.

I've confirmed from my modder that it is not firmware 1.7 on my board (from the May batch), but someone said that these specific issues have not been reported before, so I was concerned if maybe AV Famicom is not as good of a candidate for the mod as had been previously believed, and if 1.7 will even fix my issues.
Jeppen

Post by Jeppen »

Quick question,

Is the Original japanese Famicom using the same CPU chip as the US ones?

I want to stereo mod it, but have only done it on a Frontloader, but if the CPU delivers sound on the same 2 pins it should be the same procedure right?
keropi

Post by keropi »

@Forks

I have a FamicomAV+ updated 1.7 NERGB, will test when I get back home and report back