PSN Classics - Best Configuration?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Thrill

PSN Classics - Best Configuration?

Post by Thrill »

Is there any definitive settings on what should be used when playing PS1 games on a PS3, or is it simply just taste?

From what I can gather the settings that influence this are:

1. PS Upscaling. Turn this off and you get a 480p image.
2. Upscaling on gives two options. Normal and full screen. Normal seems to be a proper 4:3 ratio and Full screen looks to disregard AR and set it as 16:9.
3. Smoothing: On or Off. As the name suggests, smooths out the image.

Thanks
austin532

Re: PSN Classics - Best Configuration?

Post by austin532 »

No, I would say it's simply taste.

After using the Frameister I can never go back to playing PS1 games on the PS3. Seriously save your money for one. It blows away what the PS3 does in terms of tweaking.

1. IMO most PS1 games look better with upscalling turned On. You get a clear picture as well as a slightly larger resolution. Take Tomb Raider 3's title screen for example. Even with it set to Off it's still technically upscalling from 240p to 480p.
2. Normal (4:3) is the only way to play PS1 games. Why some people like to play in Fullscreen is beyond me.
3. As muddy as it looks, the Smoothing option is best left On as turning it Off is way too sharp and shows every single flaw. This wouldn't be so bad if there was an option for scanlines to help hide the flaws.

The only advantage with playing PS1 games on PS3 is that the sound is much better. Take MK4 for example the punches and kicks sound much crisper and cleaner compared to playing on a PS1. This is probably due to the fact the sound coming out of the PS3 is Digital compared to Analog on the PS1.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
Thrill

Post by Thrill »

Yeah I like upscaling On, Normal and Smoothing on. As good as it will get I think.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Setting the PS3 resolution to 480p helps to as it gives it a softer look and hides most of the checkerboard filters for 2D games and the diamond filters for 3D games. Not much of a difference if Upscalling is set to On or Off at that resolution though.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

dat lag tho

Or are you talking about disc-based games as oppsed to PSN downloads?
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Is there a difference in lag between the disc version and PSN version? I figured they were both bad.

Speaking of PSN games I've noticed the PSN version of PS1 games look slightly better.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

psn classics has unplayable lag, and always will if you are playing on a ps3.

I've even tried turning the scaling off and outputting composite to a crt, and it still lags (but not quite as much).
Thrill

Post by Thrill »

zaphod wrote:psn classics has unplayable lag, and always will if you are playing on a ps3.
I'm actually quite confused. Most people here seem to recommend a XRGB Mini but from what I read, that will introduce like 20-24 ms. I've read elsewhere that the PSN Classics will lag about 1.5 frames (Fudoh's website) so 1.5 frames would mean about 24-25ms. That's pretty much exactly the lag that an XRGB Mini would give me if I was to get one to play games from an actual PSX or PS2 console anyway. Obviously more tweaking options on the Mini I guess.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Even if that's true I don't really notice any lag using the Mini unless I'm playing the exact same game on a CRT right next to it. It's very very minor and you have to really search for it to even tell. Where as playing on the PS3 I immediately notice a difference. Still even with the PS3's lag I never found to be so bad that a game was unplayable. (Not counting Rhythm/Dance games)
22point8

Post by 22point8 »

I have persona 4 on ps2 and bought it on psn too, why are the blacks so grey compared to on the ps2 on the same displays properly calibrated?
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Is your PS3 set to Full Range RGB? That makes a hell of a difference with the blacks. Also most HDTV's save settings for each input now so if your PS2 for example is on Component and your PS3 is on HDMI then you have to calibrate the settings for that HDMI input.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Thrill wrote:
zaphod wrote:psn classics has unplayable lag, and always will if you are playing on a ps3.
I'm actually quite confused. Most people here seem to recommend a XRGB Mini but from what I read, that will introduce like 20-24 ms. I've read elsewhere that the PSN Classics will lag about 1.5 frames (Fudoh's website) so 1.5 frames would mean about 24-25ms. That's pretty much exactly the lag that an XRGB Mini would give me if I was to get one to play games from an actual PSX or PS2 console anyway. Obviously more tweaking options on the Mini I guess.
Addmittedly i tested with a disc of dance dance revolution, so that's how I knew it still lagged.

Some games are more sensitive then others to lag, and shmups seem to be more sensitive to lag then your typical 3d platformer.
22point8

Post by 22point8 »

austin532 wrote:Is your PS3 set to Full Range RGB? That makes a hell of a difference with the blacks. Also most HDTV's save settings for each input now so if your PS2 for example is on Component and your PS3 is on HDMI then you have to calibrate the settings for that HDMI input.
Hey you were right, I had RGB Full on the PS3 and HDMI Black [Normal] on my TV. Set it to RGB Limited and HDMI Black [Low] and black was black again. I guess the PS2 classics only work at 16-235, whereas everything else doesn't matter as long as the PS3 and TV settings match. Although weren't there reports of FFX/X-2 HD Collection having black crush if you didn't use 0-255?
austin532

Post by austin532 »

22point8 wrote:
austin532 wrote:Is your PS3 set to Full Range RGB? That makes a hell of a difference with the blacks. Also most HDTV's save settings for each input now so if your PS2 for example is on Component and your PS3 is on HDMI then you have to calibrate the settings for that HDMI input.
Hey you were right, I had RGB Full on the PS3 and HDMI Black [Normal] on my TV. Set it to RGB Limited and HDMI Black [Low] and black was black again. I guess the PS2 classics only work at 16-235, whereas everything else doesn't matter as long as the PS3 and TV settings match. Although weren't there reports of FFX/X-2 HD Collection having black crush if you didn't use 0-255?
I see you have a Samsung TV as well. Which HDMI Black level do you consider Full Range? Normal or Low? I often get mixed answers about that.

Yes, the FFX/X-2 HD collection does have crushed blacks.

Unseen

Post by Unseen »

austin532 wrote:I see you have a Samsung TV as well. Which HDMI Black level do you consider Full Range? Normal or Low? I often get mixed answers about that.
At least on mine (T27C370EW) the "Low" setting corresponds to limited range while "Normal" corresponds to full range.
22point8

Post by 22point8 »

Yes, Low=16-235 Normal=0-255

On my Plasma, the PC mode despite having colour locked at 50 and colorspace at Native its very accurate to sRGB.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Yes, my TV is the same way. When using PC mode the picture is not as clear and when using VGA the color is locked and can not be adjusted.

Don't you want your TV to output Native instead of Auto anyway?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

austin532 wrote:Don't you want your TV to output Native instead of Auto anyway?
That depends if you prefer a more colorful or a more color-accurate picture.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

For me, Native is more accurate even though it's on the colorful side. Where as Auto the colors look a little off.
22point8

Post by 22point8 »

I have a spectrophotometer and several colorimeters, and native in pc on my particulat plasma is bang on accurate. Only applies to pc mode with an rgb source, I use Custom for everything else because I can calibrate it to near perfection.