Recca (non-Caravan modes)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
gs68

Recca (non-Caravan modes)

Post by gs68 »

The leaderboard for everyone's favorite tech demo of an NES shmup, dedicated to the non-Caravan modes.

You may use either the original version (ROM, original cart if you somehow own it, or 3DS VC version), the English-patched version (ROM or repro cart), or Recca Pure (which has Hard and Zanki Attack made easily accessible).

A word of caution: Results screens do not show the difficulty, nor does the in-game "HI-SC" field differentiate between scores set with Normal and Hard. Make sure you know what mode your score is for!

Useful links:
Carnival Games leaderboard - for Score Attack and Time Attack scores
ST: Recca
Recca Pure - Hack that allows easy access of Hard difficulty and Zanki Attack

NORMAL GAME
Format: NAME - SCORE - STAGE/AREA - TIME
Tiebreaking priority: Score > Lives > Time

NORMAL

Code: Select all

=============================================================
RANK NAME                          SCORE       STAGE     TIME
-------------------------------------------------------------
   1 noah                          5,045,721     ALL 23:35:22
   2 Lord Hypnos                   1,177,066       2 ??:??:??  
HARD

RANK NAME                          SCORE        AREA     TIME
   1 gs68                          3,465,505       2 10'53"30
ZANKI ATTACK
Format: NAME - LEFT - SCORE - TIME
Tiebreaking priority: Lives > Score > Time
If you do not finish the game (indicated by score screen showing "GAME OVER"), your score will not be validated.

NORMAL

RANK NAME                           LEFT      SCORE      TIME
   1 gs68                             52  ?,???,???  ??'??"??
HARD

RANK NAME                           LEFT      SCORE      TIME
N/A  (template)                        0  0,000,000  00'00"00
Last edited by gs68 on Thu May 22, 2014 6:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
gs68

Re: Recca (non-Caravan modes)

Post by gs68 »

Sacrifical score time!

Normal Game - Hard
gs68 - 3,465,505 -10'53"30 - Area 2
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Zanki Attack - Normal
gs68 - 3 - 3,197,717 - 22'15"58
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Seriously? nobody playing non-caravan Recca? Maybe I can stimulate some competition. Tried for a long time to beat this score, and can't (where I made it all the way to the area 2 boss). It's normal difficulty, 3DS virtual console, also the score was from a week ago or so, so I don't have the time, unfortunately
Lord Hypnos - 1,177,066 - Area 2 - ??:??:??

Pretty frustrating game, though. It seems like the number 1 priority is to not lose the seeker subweapon at full power, then number 2 is keeping your main weapon leveled (though that's a little less important with five way and blaster). Especially frustrating is that dying brings you back to the vulcan at low power, which is like the second worst weapon to have at lowest power. Pretty good if you can get it up to even 2nd level, though.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Noah!

Post by Noah! »

oh hey people are playing non-caravan recca

Normal Game - Normal
noah! - 5,045,721 - ALL - 23:35:22

i made a video of it here. at about 12 minutes in you can see why nobody plays non-caravan recca

(a sub-20min board might be interesting though i dunno)
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Perhaps...I know Hard is quite possible to counterstop, seeing as I can hit 3.4m before Area 2 even ends.

Zanki Attack might still be worth caring about.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

aha, I see. Fillin' up jugs of boss milk... That is pretty lame :(
Still seems like a solid survival game, or at least an addictive, and rage-inducing one.
Maybe I'll try playing Zanki attack, soon.
1) Create Scoring System
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Zanki Attack protips
* Bomb all day every day.
* Bomb aura shield all day every day.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

gs68 wrote:Zanki Attack protips
Basically what I figured. That's nice though, because the charge bomb is pretty much the best part about Recca IMO. That and the music.
1) Create Scoring System
Gopher's Ambition

Post by Gopher's Ambition »

This damn game.

Looks like I have an Easy course clear of 3,038,912. Apparently I thought it was good enough to screenshot at the time, hah.

I also remember getting a 34 zanki score in Zanki Attack Easy a month or two back. Not really impressive either, but it can help populate the board I guess.
at about 12 minutes in you can see why nobody plays non-caravan recca
*nods profusely* The boss milking really ruins the easy mode. It's like Yagawa understood the problem by implementing the timer, but his brain couldn't quiiiite make the connection on how to really fix it. :mrgreen:

Noah, you would have almost gotten the counterstop if you had milked more, which can get more than 4 million points for a run. But I don't blame you in the slightest for not wanting to. Who wants to bossmilk for 35+ minutes?

The best boss to milk is actually the Flamethrower guy. You can rake in roughly 120,000 per minute if you absorb two flamethrowers with your options, destroying the missiles with tap shots (Five Way seems best). You can get even more (about 138,000 per minute) if you also charge your bomb and use 'S' option shots on the missiles, but this is basically guaranteed to damage the boss. You can afford to screw up once I guess, since there are two Flamethrowers in the game.

The second best bet is the yellow spider you fight in the first half of stage 1, which gives about 100,000 points per minute using the milk in the linked video. You can fall back on milking the boss rush version if you accidentally kill both flamethrowers too fast.

The "evil twin" ship seems like a good milk, but will spawn bullets inside your ship even if a bomb is overlapping you. Even if you make it out unscathed, it doesn't give as many points as the Flamethrower.

Just play Zanki Attack, lol
(a sub-20min board might be interesting though i dunno)
It might be better than a regular board, but it would sure suck to lose a run because the Gravity boss decided to be a jerk.
Perhaps...I know Hard is quite possible to counterstop, seeing as I can hit 3.4m before Area 2 even ends.
It's incredibly easy. I've seen it as early as stage 5 in some playthroughs.
Zanki Attack protips
* Have smart pods. Don't stop shooting them unless enemies are right in your face (they'll spawn suicide bullets inside you, which still count as active for one frame even if absorbed).
* Don't fucking die. If you do, kiss about 10 lives goodbye.
* Uh... plan out the stages I guess? Bombing at the right moment is really, REALLY important. I lose about most of my lives due to enemies slamming into me with no bomb out on the field. It looks like you can do some shooting to get bomb timings right without too much risk.
* Kill enemies and take 1ups. It's how you score! :V

There is a TAS out there on youtube that gets a high 60's zanki score on easy, and high 80's or low 90's on hard.
Last edited by Gopher's Ambition on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Gopher's Ambition wrote:
Zanki Attack protips
* Have smart pods. Don't stop shooting them unless enemies are right in your face (they'll spawn suicide bullets inside you, which still count as active for one frame even if absorbed).
* Don't fucking die. If you do, kiss about 10 lives goodbye.

* Uh... plan out the stages I guess? Bombing at the right moment is really, REALLY important. I lose about most of my lives due to enemies slamming into me with no bomb out on the field. It looks like you can do some shooting to get bomb timings right without too much risk.
* Kill enemies and take 1ups. It's how you score! :V

There is a TAS out there on youtube that gets a high 60's zanki score on easy, and high 80's or low 90's on hard.
Sounds like how I play easy course recca hahaha. Losing smart pods kills me every time.
1) Create Scoring System
Gopher's Ambition

Post by Gopher's Ambition »

(Zanki Easy Mode)

Gopher - 44 - 3,770,217 - 22'52"32 - ALL

Also, I found the TAS I mentioned. The first result is zanki hard mode, the second is zanki easy mode. Hard zanki can be counter-stopped apparently, though I doubt that would be feasible.

This game gets surprisingly good once you get used to the bullshit moments. Dodging the laser cannons is a lot of fun.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Here's another 1cc to add to my small but hopefully growing list of achievements. Last night I finished this game in normal mode. I put countless hours and figured 4 stages should be relatively easy or attainable to complete. Game does not allow continues so the only way to clear is on one credit.

Shame very few people get a chance to play. I did see an actual cart earlier this year on a trip to Tokyo. It was selling for over ¥25,000 used loose in Mandrake (store in Akihabara) and glad to have recently acquired an Everdrive N8 instead.

There's a second part that's harder and longer (more stages up to 7) and after watching YouTube video of it, I have no ambition or interest to give it a go as I deem it too hard core.

In case the moderator would like to update, please add the following:

azmun - 4,445,653 - all - 21:31:64

edited:
I gave the game another shot while my memory's still fresh. Topped my old record. I also tried hard mode. Can't remember exactly how far I got, but I think it was up to area 4 or 5. It's not as bad as it seems and perhaps someday I'll get around to trying to complete that mode as well--super trippy! Here's my new record:

azmun - 4,556,438 - all - 20:48:08

addtional notes: no milking, running original version rom via everdrive n8 on actual famicom hardware.
Last edited by azmun on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Might as well throw up this Zanki Mode clear from about a year ago:

Shepardus - 2 - 3354281 - 24:22:74
Video

Done in emulator (Nestopia) with unpatched ROM. Most of stage 4 is a blind clear :lol:
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Normal Mode
M.Knight - 3,912,244 - 4 - Nintendo 3DS
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project