Jaguar Soccer Kid vs. GBA Soccer Kid...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

It is still amazing on how many systems Worms was released for.
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

ST Dragon, about where I live, sorry, I did miss your questions. I'll send a PM :wink:
ST Dragon wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:And no one talked about James Pond 2:Codename Robocod ..... I think this is among the top platform games on Amiga too...
I totally forgot about Robocod. That’s one of the better cute platform games on the Amiga. Its awesome rainbow copper backgrounds are only matched by those seen in Turrican II.
What I didn’t enjoy in Robocod however, is the fact that gameplay was centered in collecting the penguins, rather than exploration like in Sonic or Turrican.
It was much better than James Pond & its disappointing sequel Operation Star Fish.
Well, one thing I didn't know until recent is that Robocod was released on Playstation (and GBA too). Just search Google to see covers. Now, GBA surely doesn't need another platformer in its library: PSone, on the other hand, needs retro 2D platform action badly. Retro Gamer says that the port is based on the Atari ST version, which would kinda suck, since even the CD32 port was based on the AGA release...

Anyone played these ports and can comment on them? I'd appreciate that.
X - P - B
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Soccer Kid is not getting a US PS1 release. :( :

http://www.telegames.com/soccerkid_psx.htm

Well that's just great! :? *sighs* At least the GBA ports of this and Robocod are both region-free.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

dave4shmups wrote:Soccer Kid is not getting a US PS1 release. :( :

http://www.telegames.com/soccerkid_psx.htm

Well that's just great! :? *sighs* At least the GBA ports of this and Robocod are both region-free.
The GBA ports released in the US, though. I actually saw Robocod at a local Best Buy.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Pretty stupid making the PS1 version of Robocod based in the Atari ST one.

The AGA version looked so greatly! (For such an old game)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Shatterhand wrote:Pretty stupid making the PS1 version of Robocod based in the Atari ST one.

The AGA version looked so greatly! (For such an old game)
As long as the gameplay's the same, I could care less. I tried out the Genesis rev. today, and found it to be quite fun!
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

[quote="Shatterhand"]Pretty stupid making the PS1 version of Robocod based in the Atari ST one.

Yes, the AGA version did look great but it real wasn't that much enhanced compared to the OCS/ECS version. Basically it offered a larger colour palette in the rainbow copper backgrounds & some slightly different levels.

But the in-game sprites & foreground were not broadly enhanced.

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

PS1/GBA Robocod was not based on the Atari ST version.
The background is more like the one used in the Megadrive version (parallax layer) combined with the colourful rasters of the Snes version (not looking as good as AGA). Also the levels are mostly redesigned so it's not fun to play it at all, i like the original leveldesign from Amiga 500 and Atari ST much more.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Stefan_L wrote:PS1/GBA Robocod was not based on the Atari ST version.
The background is more like the one used in the Megadrive version (parallax layer) combined with the colourful rasters of the Snes version (not looking as good as AGA). Also the levels are mostly redesigned so it's not fun to play it at all, i like the original leveldesign from Amiga 500 and Atari ST much more.
Ahh, I thought the level design of the GBA one seemed different when I tried it. The levels in the GBA version didn't seem to be redesigned in a good way either. I think the Genesis and SNES ones have the original level design, though.
K-J N.

Post by K-J N. »

Stefan_L wrote:PS1/GBA Robocod was not based on the Atari ST version.
Yeah.
It also got some transparency effects. It isn't sponsored anymore either so no penguins to p..p..p..pick up, you rescue elves instead. There is a new, ugly looking, intro as well.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Cool.
I hadn't noticed those transparencies. Those were not available on the Amiga version.

Thunder Force V
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

OK, so I got a spare cart of the GBA version and it's good fun, although a lot was left out. However, It seems that the game is on the buggy side - I reach the last boss but the game freezes. Has this happened to anyone - or is someone willing to test this too?

Here are the passwords, courtesy of me:

ITALY - CDNRTRMSFQHQ

RUSSIA - CCPRSLSSLJNJ

JAPAN - CBBRSDNQMQNQ

USA - CKCRPNMFJDLD

Load the last world (USA), get the eleven cards (four in 5-1, three in California, and another four in the last stage) and play the bonus round to get the last piece of the World Cup. The final boss fight should start after that but my game freezes (Soccer Kid dies, and I can play around with garbled graphics and even call the pause menu). And yes, before you ask, the cartridge is legit.
X - P - B