Stella Vanity V0.2 & 0.21

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gs68

Re: Stella Vanity V0.2 & 0.21

Post by gs68 »

xfullmetal17 wrote:Irritatingly enough, Stellavanity is *not* in the Twitch database :roll:
It's a relatively obscure game; most of my doujinshmup-playing friends have heard of things like Hellsinker, Crimzon Clover, and Ether Vapor, but not Stellavanity.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I was under the impression that Stellavanity was fairly anticipated by the doujin community. It was getting score threads for the demos here, which usually only happens for high-profile releases.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

CStarFlare wrote:I was under the impression that Stellavanity was fairly anticipated by the doujin community. It was getting score threads for the demos here, which usually only happens for high-profile releases.
It was, but I think its muddied release history caused interest to sharply decline, at least outside of Japan. I think it's a shame though, because the game is heavily influenced by CAVE's style of bullet hell, and can be a score optimizer's wet dream.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Now that I'm able to play SV again, I'm trying to get a grip on mechanics.

This is what I understand so far:
- Coins raise multiplier
- Jewels add score
- MODES:
-- Story Mode: Level and items are applied.
-- Rule Mode: Level is fixed at 10, stats fixed too; accessories permitted
-- Strict Rule Mode: Same as Rule Mode, but accessories not permitted.
- STATS:
-- You have a base value that you begin with, shown by green bars
-- Stats increase throughout the game, indicated by purple portions
-- The increases while playing do not carry over to subsequent playthroughs
-- Leveling up increases base stats
- C-TYPE ONLY:
-- Assault's cancel radius depends on how much the gauge was filled.
-- Assaulting during a boss generates jewels but doesn't necessarily cancel bullets
- S-TYPE ONLY:
-- Excess damage with Assault, Blade, or Raid causes Overkill bonus
-- Overkilling multiple enemies causes Multikill bonus
-- D-Shift (shown by big gauge at top) is used to farm jewels
-- E-Shift (shown by Ether gauge at bottom) is used to farm coins
-- Second of the two small bars at the top is some sort of chain meter
-- Bombing and then Raiding causes a huge Overkill bonus
-- You can Counter out of a D-Shift for a ton of jewels.
-- You can lock onto enemies by shooting them, limit is shown (can be raised, through leveling I think?)

I think we should make a GD thread in Strategy at this point so we can focus more on how all of this works and piece it together.

I tried the tate mode in this game. Not having access to half the interface is bleh. Will stick with yoko for this one.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

It would be fantastic to have a guide for this. I bought it ages ago but abandoned it after a couple hours because I had no idea what I was doing.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Has anyone ever attempted to translate the ganeplay-related info on the official page? It would indeed be nice to know how (almost) everything works...
microfolk

Post by microfolk »

I've been debating to myself whether buying this game or not, having a discussion aimed towards explaining the mechanism of this game (and trying to help myself!) would incentive me so much to buy and play it.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well in a weak start I'll link to The Manual run through google translate, which is better than nothing until someone does a translation proper.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

I spent a long time trying to figure out the S-Type system, but I burnt out on the game when it came time to put it all together. It has been quite a while since I last thought about this game so some of this might be inaccurate. C-Type is a totally different beast and I never spent any time with it.

Weapons:
  • Shot/Laser: Self-explanatory.
  • Bomb: Typical bomb attack. Varies depending on character.
    • Overdrive: Holding down the bomb button triggers this at the cost of a bomb. It just increases the strength of your shot and laser, like a DOJ hyper.
  • Assault: Guided lasers that home in on locked-on targets. Shooting things with your shot or laser beforehand locks onto enemies. Doesn't work on popcorn enemies though. Double-tapping the Assault button will toggle Auto-Assault on or off.
  • Blade: Close-range melee attack.
    • Raid: When you hear a chime while attacking an enemy ("Raid OK" is also displayed in the lower-right corner), using Blade will trigger the Raid attack instead. You automatically dash towards the enemy and attack it for massive amounts of damage. There is no worry of being hit because you are invincible while doing this, and you will automatically return to your starting position after the attack. Enemies that Raid works against tend to clear the screen of bullets when defeated anyway.
Modes:
  • Delayed Shift: Bullet speed slows down, but density increases greatly. When an enemy is killed in this mode, all of the bullets it fired out that are still visible on the screen will be converted into gems. Straight out of Espgaluda, this is the primary scoring mode. Using a bomb will cancel the Delayed Shift, but Overdrive is okay.
    • Counter Shift: A Delayed Shift may be deliberately canceled at any time by pressing the Delayed Shift button again. If you have canceled enough bullets during the Delayed Shift, this will result in an attack called Counter Shift, which takes the form of a circular wave emitted from your character that damages nearby enemies and converts nearby bullets into gems. The radius of this wave corresponds to the level of Counter Shift, which is built up as you cancel bullets during a Delayed Shift. The purpose of Counter Shift is to end your Delayed Shift with one last cash-in, but it may also be used as a defensive maneuver.
  • Ether Shift: More enemies will spawn on the screen and killing them causes them to drop a lot of coins. In this mode, your Assault weapon fires non-stop and you can use Blade as much as you like, but Raid is unavailable. Getting hit will cancel the Ether Shift but will not consume a life.
    • Counter Burst: When you are in Ether Shift mode during a boss fight and you finish off a segment of its life bar, the current boss phase will be extended for the remaining duration of the Ether Shift, and you can continue dealing damage to it. The bullet pattern will become more aggressive during this phase, however. Getting hit during Counter Burst mode will end it but will not consume a life.
---Note: Delayed Shift and Ether Shift may be used simultaneously.

Scoring:
  • Combo Bonus and Overkill: The Combo Bonus is the number displayed next to the chain bar in the upper left. It is critical to scoring well because it acts as a multiplier for a variety of things. The Combo Bonus is derived from a percentage of your current Combo Bonus, as well as overkill damage dealt to an enemy or to a group of enemies. Overkill damage occurs when you kill something using using Assault, Blade, or Raid. A higher overkill may be obtained by using multiple weapons simultaneously; for example, holding your laser on an enemy, firing Assault, and finishing it off with Raid or a bomb.
  • Combo Bonus and Chaining: Once a Combo Bonus is set, it functions as a multiplier as long as you chain enemies. If the chain drops, the Combo Bonus will deactivate and you will be able to set a new Combo Bonus by dealing overkill damage. If you half-ass the next overkill, the new Combo Bonus will be lower than the previous one. The way the chain bar functions is similar to the one in DDP, but it isn't as strict: killing enemies fills it back up, and holding your laser on certain enemies keeps it from falling.
  • Combo Bonus and Delayed and Ether Shift: You want to enter a Delayed or Ether Shift with an active Combo Bonus. The chain bar freezes during a Shift, but once the Shift ends, the chain terminates and the Combo Bonus deactivates. Generally, you want to set a new Combo Bonus before activating another Shift.
  • Coins & Gems: Gems * Combo Bonus = score. Something like that. The base value of gems can be increased by collecting coins. Gem value is reset at the beginning of each area, and as you get farther in the game, it requires more coins to level it up.
Miscellaneous:
  • Rank: Rank enables suicide bullets, and together with number of lives lost and bombs used, determines which of three TLBs you'll face at the end of the game. Two TLBs are called False TLB A and False TLB B; the third is called True TLB. Rank may only increase in the first four areas of the game. To increase rank, your score must pass certain thresholds after each area. Here are a few charts detailing all of these requirements.
  • Extends: One in Area 5 -- simply destroy all the buildings, and the final building before the boss will have an extend. There is also another in Area 7 -- destroy the two giant orb mid-bosses before the time runs out to get it. There are also score-based extends.
---

Putting it all together, at the beginning of each stage you want to use a combination of weapons to deal high overkill damage and set a nice Combo Bonus. You then chain enemies until you reach a portion of the stage that's well-suited for farming coins with Ether Shift or gems with Delayed Shift. After the Shift ends, you then deal overkill damage to another enemy and set a new (and hopefully higher) Combo Bonus, and the process repeats. I found the following replay really helpful to watch:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18088970
00:15 ~ 00:24 - Sets a Combo Bonus by locking onto enemies and then killing them in one go with a combination of Overdrive, Assault, and Blade.
00:26 ~ 00:38 - Ether Shift. Coins are collected and gem value is leveled up once (seen in upper right-hand corner).
00:42 ~ 00:55 - Raid on the big yellow stone for a new Combo Bonus, and then Delayed Shift to farm gems for score. Ends with a Counter Shift.
00:56 ~ Mid-boss - Raid on another yellow stone for a new Combo Bonus, then Ether Shift again. Gem value levels up again. Mid-boss is finished off with a Raid attack for a new Combo Bonus.
01:20 ~ 01:35 - Delayed Shift again, ending with a Counter Shift. After, a new Combo Bonus is set using Raid on a yellow stone.
01:36 ~ 01:45 - Ether Shift again. Gem value levels up to maximum.
01:46 ~ 02:01 - Raid on the yellow stone and then careful chaining. At the second yellow stone, Blade/Raid is still unavailable so it's killed with the standard laser.
02:02 ~ 02:15 - Delayed Shift, ending with another Counter Shift.
Boss - Just as the first segment of her life bar depletes, Ether Shift is enabled, which triggers a Counter Burst phase. The duration of the Counter Burst phase is spent dealing damage to the boss with Assault and Blade. When the Counter Burst phase ends, the Combo Bonus increases by a substantial amount: from 810k to 5.5M. The duration of the second segment of the life bar is spent in Delayed Shift, which ends with a Counter Shift. Near the end of this life bar segment, Overdrive is enabled at the cost of a bomb and Ether Shift is started to transition into another Counter Burst phase. Once again, the Combo Bonus increases by a massive amount, from 5.5M to 8.5M. The final segment of the boss's life bar is spent in Delayed Shift again, ending with a Counter Shift. The boss is unceremoniously finished off with a Raid attack.

Here is a replay of the full game on the highest difficulty setting, ending with the True TLB (one of the hardest TLBs I've ever seen).

Stages 1 ~ 3: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19833779
Stages 4 ~ 6: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19833827
Stage 7: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19833890
True TLB: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19833924

And here are videos of the other two TLBs:

False TLB A - http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18448457
False TLB B - http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18968359
Last edited by Aisha on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Aisha wrote:Here is a replay of the full game on the highest difficulty setting, ending with the "true" TLB (one of the hardest TLBs I've ever seen).

Stages 1 ~ 3: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19833779
Stages 4 ~ 6: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19833827
Stage 7: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19833890
"True" TLB: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19833924
Wow, I'm impressed that someone managed to clear this on Pandemonium. That difficulty is just nuts. Thanks for all the info, too - StellaVanity looks really interesting but I'm reluctant to play it without having at least some idea of what's going on.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Thanks for the writeup, I'll be looking through this next time I fire the game up.

Pandemonium is just...let me put it this way, even Mushi and Futari on Ultra don't look this ridiculous.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Yeah, according to this interview (thanks Shmuplations :)) Type C is supposed to be a lot simpler.

Also the developer's apparently gotten an Ura 2-ALL of Ketsui so I can forgive him for making this game as crazy as it is.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

He also posted an SDOJ clear not too long after the game came out. He seems to be pretty experienced with shmups, and I'd hazard to say that it's given him insight on how to screw with shmup players, given how so many bullet patterns in Stellavanity seem to be designed to make the player uncomfortable by coming from multiple directions and using deceiving angles.

The player who uploaded the Pandemonium clear above also has videos of the other TLBs that I figured I'd put here just for completeness' sake:

False TLB A - http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18448457
False TLB B - http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18968359
gs68

Post by gs68 »

You might also wanna add something about how using ES during a boss prevents Raids, but instead continues to drag out the boss's current form until ES ends for Overkill bonus.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

S-mode scoring: you can recover the previous chain-value at any time (shown in gray in top left) with an overkill. How high value the overkill is determines the magnification of new chain, shown below OVERKILL next to the green number (old chain). This is key to scoring along with the coin & gem collection. If you recover with low value overkills the chain value will keep dropping & if you use E-shift on a low value chain you'll be stuck with it.

So you generally want to get a high chain value, then lock it in place with D-shift or E-shift and kill a bunch of enemies. Then break it and recover with a good overkill (preferrably Raid or Multi-kill on high value enemies) and repeat. In the case of D-shift concentrate on bullet cancels I guess. In S-shift try to kill enemies as quickly as possible to get more to spawn. Absolutely try avoiding going into E-shift without an active chain since you wont be able to restart it until the shift is over. If you cancel D-shift into E-shift the chain doesn't break but starts dropping extremely fast, idk if it's possible to maintain without a bomb.

If a boss phase has respawning destroyable parts you can milk it by using E-shift to extend the phase.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

Zaarock wrote:S-mode scoring: you can recover the previous chain-value at any time (shown in gray in top left) with an overkill. How high value the overkill is determines the magnification of new chain, shown below OVERKILL next to the green number (old chain). This is key to scoring along with the coin & gem collection. If you recover with low value overkills the chain value will keep dropping & if you use E-shift on a low value chain you'll be stuck with it.

So you generally want to get a high chain value, then lock it in place with D-shift or E-shift and kill a bunch of enemies. Then break it and recover with a good overkill (preferrably Raid or Multi-kill on high value enemies) and repeat. In the case of D-shift concentrate on bullet cancels I guess. In S-shift try to kill enemies as quickly as possible to get more to spawn. Absolutely try avoiding going into E-shift without an active chain since you wont be able to restart it until the shift is over. If you cancel D-shift into E-shift the chain doesn't break but starts dropping extremely fast, idk if it's possible to maintain without a bomb.

If a boss phase has respawning destroyable parts you can milk it by using E-shift to extend the phase.
Thanks; I updated my little write-up to reflect this. I also started the game up again to check a few things and jog my memory regarding how the Combo Bonus and chaining work.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Nice Type-S scoring demonstration by yakamino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6jlMrZ0sQ
1.1 billion from stage 1 alone. The normal stage 1 video linked before was just 0.2bil. Though both are on story mode where your stats can be grinded up.

A weird thing I noticed is that you can cancel a Raid into E-shift while it's killing a boss phase (the raid gives a ton of ether gauge before cancelling)
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Are there different modes that skip stages or something? yakamino has another clear on his channel of version 1.21 that's about 50% longer. Both are story mode, normal difficulty, but one says rank 0 while the other says rank 4.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

He skipped optional stages (2&4) which would have increased rank, I think you just do that after each stage. Getting 'qualified' on stages 1-4 should give rank 4. replays dont show the stage select screen I guess.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

It also looks like skipping a stage resets your rank.

But yeah, in order to increase your rank all the way, you have to play through the optional stages. Area 4 is the last stage you can rank up in.
cuttingagent

Post by cuttingagent »

http://imgur.com/TlufSxB

Not sure if this has been gone over before, but I only just now realized there's a dipswitch for this game. Well, the extra resolution is certainly nice, stumped on what the others do, except for one option either kills the program immediately upon pressing the Esc key and one gives a confirmation dialog first. Any help with the rest? I'm especially curious what the 36/18/9/6 option does.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I've had mixed results with the photo translation, but the handwritten input feature, while less convenient, works splendidly for these sorts of things.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
tate

Post by tate »

cuttingagent wrote:Image
http://imgur.com/TlufSxB

Not sure if this has been gone over before, but I only just now realized there's a dipswitch for this game. Well, the extra resolution is certainly nice, stumped on what the others do, except for one option either kills the program immediately upon pressing the Esc key and one gives a confirmation dialog first. Any help with the rest? I'm especially curious what the 36/18/9/6 option does.
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm always happy to bypass display scaling, which the 1280x960 option facilitates.

And while I agree that the mobile Google Translate app is great for addressing these sort of questions, to prevent others from having to go through the effort, here's my take:

Screen Refresh Mode: Timer / Vertical Sync [Refresh rates over 60 Hz result in abnormally high speed with Vertical Sync, in which case set to Timer.]
Stabilization Operations: OFF / ON [Sets Operation Stabilization introduced in Ver1.20B. Usually not a problem when ON, but set to OFF if problems occur.]
Program Termination on ESCAPE: No Confirmation / Confirmation
Bullet Colors: 36 / 18 / 9 / 6
Windowed Filter: Nearest Neighbor / Bilinear
Full Screen Resolution: 640x480 / 1280x960
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I completely forgot that I had ever posted in this thread. Lots of useful information here.

I still don't understand the "true" TLB qualification though. The "tips" page on the game's website mentions that you have to reach "Rank.EX" but doesn't explain what that actually is, despite explaining in full detail the requirements for ranks 0-4 and the two "fake" TLBs. The only other mention of it I can find is in the changelog, which mentions the conditions for Rank.EX being relaxed in version 1.21.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
shoryusatsu999

Post by shoryusatsu999 »

As far as I understand it, you go straight to Rank EX when you qualify at Rank 3 and go down to Rank 4 if you get hit before the normal last boss. You can tell when it's at Rank EX because the 4 is tinged red.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

shoryusatsu999 wrote:As far as I understand it, you go straight to Rank EX when you qualify at Rank 3 and go down to Rank 4 if you get hit before the normal last boss. You can tell when it's at Rank EX because the 4 is tinged red.
Thanks! Nice to know that, even if there's little chance that I'll actually achieve that. Looks like getting hit even in Ethereal Shift breaks the requirement, but (manually) bombing doesn't, which makes it worth it to exchange a life for bombs if you're out of bombs (by holding down the bomb button).
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
microfolk

Post by microfolk »

Did anyone have trouble with the game FPS in fullscreen? I get a terrifying amount of slowdown when running the game fullscreen no matter what graphical option I lower, while running the game windowed produces a super smooth experience.
It wouldn't be a big enough problem if I knew a way to resize the game window, using sizer doesn't work. :\
I'm 99% sure it's not anything about my specs, maybe it's something between running Windows 10 and having an Nvidia GPU that makes the game freak out.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

microfolk wrote:Did anyone have trouble with the game FPS in fullscreen? I get a terrifying amount of slowdown when running the game fullscreen no matter what graphical option I lower, while running the game windowed produces a super smooth experience.
It wouldn't be a big enough problem if I knew a way to resize the game window, using sizer doesn't work. :\
I'm 99% sure it's not anything about my specs, maybe it's something between running Windows 10 and having an Nvidia GPU that makes the game freak out.
I've had this problem for years on win8 & 10, never found a workaround. Setting dipswitches to Vsync: OFF & Stabilization operations: OFF reduced windowed input lag a ton so at least its playable.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I don't know how likely it is that you have the same performance problems as me, but I've only ever got the game to run in full-screen mode at full speed by (counter-intuitively) choosing 'no' at start-up.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

microfolk wrote:Did anyone have trouble with the game FPS in fullscreen? I get a terrifying amount of slowdown when running the game fullscreen no matter what graphical option I lower, while running the game windowed produces a super smooth experience.
I have the same FPS problems with fullscreen. There's a text file in the game directory that lets you set the window size, though. I don't remember what it's called but it should have a number at the top, 640 or 480 or something. I doubled it and that brought the window up to a comfortable size.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube