ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!

Re: ST: Battle Garegga (15.09.10 - st6+7 edits)

Post by 7711 »

Overly obsessed asian girls fanatic.
23/08/2013 : I now swear on my honor (like I have any) never to use a bomb again.
dinosaurjerk

Post by dinosaurjerk »

Obscura wrote:Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y61va ... ramame.rar

Sorry for the "Zip inside of a RAR" thing, for some reason mediafire doesn't like it when I try to upload zips, but it has no problems with rars, and this was the laziest way to do it.
Thanks!
RIP TEAM FORKS AND MY AMAZING 18TH PLACE SHMUP PLACING, BUT I'M LEAVING THE SIG IMAGE ANYWAY
oops my sig imagine got replaced with an itunes ad
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

This has probably been asked before, but I can't find it in the OP, and it's hard to search for, so:

What does HARDER do, exactly? Does it make the rank higher, or is it orthogonal to rank in some way?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It's explained on a post in page 2 I think.
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

It's brought up, but not mechanically explained (unless I missed something).
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

My understanding is that you start at a higher rank than Normal, and rank can cap out at a higher point. Resulting in some wildness I'm sure. Don't know for certain if per-frame rank is altered etc but the rank does start fairly high on Harder.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Axelay

Re:

Post by Axelay »

SOUND OPTIONS
  1. OUTPUT TYPE
    Change the output type to Stereo or Mono.
  2. SOUNDTRACK SELECTION
    Select either the OST or the AST as your in-game BGM.
  3. SFX VOLUME
    Change the volume of the SFX to suit your tastes. Default is at 28.
  4. RESET TO DEFAULT
    Pretty simple, resets all sound options to their defaults.
  5. BGM PLAYBACK
    Play the selected track from the OST/AST (whichever you have currently selected in SOUNDTRACK SELECTION.
  6. SFX PLAYBACK
    Listen to the different in-game sound effects. EXTEND! SHOT POWER UP! ^_^
[/quote]

How do you tell between stereo sound and mono sound ?
This thread is fantastic so much great information thank you .
Arms installation complete Good luck
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I don't have a Saturn any more, but I would assume:

モノ - mono
ステレオ - stereo
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Thank you very much

Oh lord the music in this game .

I can't stop my self from maxing the volume :)
Arms installation complete Good luck
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Updating the replay list Plasmo and I compiled last year, with some additional things I've come across here and there.

Silver Sword:
WR: G,751,930 - みぐ (Migu)
• F,082,330 - DXP-Yoshidaya (INH DVD "The Madness Battle Garegga" Omake Disc)
• E,945,710 - KET (three parts: one, two, three)
• E,893,540 - DXP-Yoshidaya (INH DVD "The Madness Battle Garegga")

Grasshopper:
WR: F,981,940 - DBS
• F,072,450 - unknown player (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-NgQBrEv_8 - SDD-Kaede's channel)

Flying Baron:
WR: G,105,190 - T-OMN2号♂X68ま♀ゆるーい用
• E,226,430 - DBS (http://youtu.be/tbrAt82YazQ)

Wild Snail:
WR: H,413,590 - 山中将人☆OMN2♂68 (Yamanaka Masato)
• H,334,020 - T-OMN2号X68(ま) (was on YT, now private video, highest known - mp4 rip of st1-5 by dannnn)
• F,221,670 - unknown player (https://www.youtube.com/user/roland08100)

Gain:
WR: K,812,270 - T3-神威 (Kamui)
• K,720,100 - T3-神威 (three parts: one, two, three - old strategies)
• K,396,400 - T3-神威 (Special Demonstrations #1 - new strategies)

Chitta:
WR: G,790,350 - ツィ~まる@ボール部。 (Tsiimaru)
• G,062,720 - KET (three parts: one, two, three)

Miyamoto:
WR: I,546,440 - SDD-楓☆折り返し (Kaede)
• I,485,040 - SDD-Kaede (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwSumHGSZM) NEW
• I,119,230 - SDD-Kaede (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 17CB72573B)

Bornnam:
WR: H,791,750 ~ X68ま
• H,121,140 - unknown player (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_BWKQlwSw - SDD-Kaede's channel)

Harder Mode:
• C,898,850 - unknown player <Miyamoto> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQB5HzLPZIY - SDD-Kaede's channel) NEW

Extended Mode:
• Z,726,550 - T3-神威 <Gain> (personal DVD)
• T,062,670 - ZBL-JAC <Miyamoto> (http://youtu.be/IsCEI_ZWoCc)

WRs are as up to date as I can get them. Will add this list to the main guide soon.
If anyone finds anything of note, let me know and I'll add them to the list. I've noticed that a number of notable replays have disappeared, so it'll be a good idea to try and archive them somehow.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Apologies if it's already been mentioned (20 pages is a lot!) but I think that an outdated (erroneous) bit may have been left in the training plan section, under point #4:
Advanced methods involve suiciding/dying, and missing maximum value Medals
Medal-dropping is listed under the "debunked theories" section.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Ok, so this is hot stuff, get it while it's fresh, extra extra etc.

Bombing the laser turrets twice.
Rank has to be low (indicated by 4 BH Jr's and suiciding to your last life), damage the turret when it scrolls into picture and:
Bomb when the red box is about to cross the "INSERT COIN" line.
Going to try this out ASAP.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

High scoring rules of thumb for Golden Bat.

Never have more than two spare ships unless it's right before the Mad Balls or after stage 6.

Make sure you have at least 2,2 mil after the birds.
The stage should give you about 200k which means you'll hit the 3rd extend after the first or second successful suicide on Mad Ball which gives you the opportunity to destroy his main turret for 50/100k extra.

Should have 4 mil+ before stage 3 boss.

Close to 7 mil after stage 4 (with successful rails and boss milking).

Always start out stage 5 with an extra ship.
No miss until Mad Ball 2. This means you have either 3 extra ships or 2 - closing in on the next extend. Suicide/bomb all on Mad Ball 2.
If everything works out you should have or at least be very close to 10 mil at the start of stage 6.

Always have an extra ship to suicide on the gunblimps for medal rain.
It's crucial to never drop your medal chain. Especially not in stage 6 because of the amount of points lost and rank gained.
If you haven't already, raise auto-fire rate before Junky Monkey to destroy his arms faster (more points).
Suicide on Junky Monkey if you're close to a third extend (don't want rank too high for BH2).

Should start stage 7 with at least 12 mil and 2 or close to 2 extra ships.
No miss the entire stage and hope for good RNG on BH2. If rank is too high you won't be able to destroy BH2's grenades fast enough and therefore end up losing both points and lives.
With good RNG and medal chain intact you should be able to reach 15 mil on Glow Squid.
Image Image
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Eaglet wrote:Ok, so this is hot stuff, get it while it's fresh, extra extra etc.

Bombing the laser turrets twice.
Rank has to be low (indicated by 4 BH Jr's and suiciding to your last life), damage the turret when it scrolls into picture and:

Bomb when the red box is about to cross the "INSERT COIN" line.
Going to try this out ASAP.
What is the benefit of doing this? I vaguely remember hearing about this but don't know why - do you get the destruction bonus twice? How much is it? Can it be done with any ship?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

CStarFlare wrote: What is the benefit of doing this? I vaguely remember hearing about this but don't know why - do you get the destruction bonus twice? How much is it? Can it be done with any ship?
Normally you get 50k from destroying the turrets with a bomb.
With this trick you can bomb the turrets twice, giving you 100k for each turret.
I think it can be done with any ship, but Garegga ships are the only ones that want to use it.
Image Image
Icarus

Re: ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.10 - edits, record replays list

Post by Icarus »

Quick edits, adding some snippets from Eaglet, and dropping the Record Replays List into the OP.
I need to go through this guide sometime and completely rewrite and reformat it, as it's currently becoming a huge mess of copy-pasted elements. :p
Eaglet

Re: ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list

Post by Eaglet »

About the birds;
I'm not sure since i haven't reverse engineered the game, but i think the birds get trajectory and speed from RNG.
This would be the reason that you ideally want to bomb as quickly as possible as longer spawning time = higher chance of getting slow moving clusters.

Would love if somebody (trap15!) could get a definitive answer to this question.
Image Image
jhonny_d

Post by jhonny_d »

probably answered a million time but can't find it :(

the "default version" is considered to be the japanese Ver Sat Feb 3 1996 ?
It's possible to convert a normal garegga pcb to type 2 and the opposite?

I'm a bit confused since world-of-arcades say that later versions got yellow bullets, but tried it in mame and saw yellow bullets only on the type 2 version
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

To my knowledge the only difference is the roms, so yes, it should be possible.
Not that i understand why you'd ever play anything aside from regular Garegga.
Image Image
jhonny_d

Post by jhonny_d »

thanks for the clarification, I also asked because I was not sure what the "regular garegga" was
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Added the link to Special Demonstrations #8 - Kamui's new Gain WR - to the replay list.

Also, a few things about stage 4's rails:

• It is actually possible to control when the boss appears at the first rail - the key here is whether there are any tanks alive from the last square hangar when you break the first rail, if there's at least one still alive, the boss is delayed about two seconds, making it easier for some ships to collect the Medals safely. If there are no tanks alive when you break the first rail, the boss usually shows up when the rail is breaking, which can make collection really difficult.
I kind of theorised this the past fortnight during savestates practice on-stream, and it was indirectly confirmed by Kamui's notes for SD#8 where she mentioned that she destroys all the tanks and the hangar as quickly as possible to force the boss to appear as early as it can. I then figured that stalling it might be possible if a specific condition is met, but only really discovered the condition through a short session of offline savestate practice, and have 100% confirmed it through more extensive savestate testing.
So in Bornnam's case, leave one tank alive when you come to bomb the last hangar and first rail, and the boss won't show up until after you've collected the Medals. The tricky part now is the fourth rail…

• I've heard from a few sources now - Kamui, SDD-Kaede and Japanese player stgggggggg - that it is possible to control how many Medals are released from the rails. Kamui notes in SD#8 that it is based on your position on the screen - ideally you want as many "segments" visible when the rail breaks. The optimal number is 8x per rail, making it a total of 32x from the four rails and 20x from the hangars, but stgggggggg mentioned to me in my Twitch chat a few weeks ago that it is possible to get 9x from a rail:

Code: Select all

<stgggggggg>	8madals so difficult. I recommend 7medals at first rail for Bornnam.
<stgggggggg>	I heard,  Miyamoto can get 9medals!
I am still looking at the actual influences, but from save state practice, I've personally managed to get 32x Medals from the four rails. It is difficult to get consistently, however, and I still need to look into the correct ship and bomb positioning for everything.

• Rail break position is still kind-of random for area blast Weapons like Gain, Bornnam and Chitta, so the best thing you can do with these ships is work on bomb timing and positioning, and react quickly to where the rails break. The fourth rail is particularly nasty if it breaks from the right side of the screen.
DKA_Darius

Post by DKA_Darius »

I have a question about the form 1 of the stage 3 boss
The score you get by shooting or bombing is fixed?
The highest score I get is about 150.000 by destroy the form 1 of the stage 3 boss
Why T3-Kamui uses a bomb to destroy all of turrents instead of shooting? Is there any differences?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

DKA_Darius wrote:I have a question about the form 1 of the stage 3 boss
The score you get by shooting or bombing is fixed?
The highest score I get is about 150.000 by destroy the form 1 of the stage 3 boss
Why T3-Kamui uses a bomb to destroy all of turrents instead of shooting? Is there any differences?
The score you get is fixed. The reason players will bomb form1 is to get rid of it quickly, so you can spend more time getting tick points. Speed is of the essence.
DKA_Darius

Post by DKA_Darius »

Question:
①The difference of the damage between the different color of Gain is clearly?
I just know the most powerful main shot is A Gain,the most powerful bomb is B Gain,The most powerful option shot is C Gain...but I can't feel the clearly difference...just the different move speed
②sometimes I can use 3 bombs quickly,but sometimes I can't use the third bomb after 2 bombs immediately,Why?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

There is no change in damage from the types. A is base, B is faster speed, C is smaller hitbox, ABC is B and C combined. There are no other changes. The smaller hitbox makes the hitbox to collect items smaller too.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

DKA_Darius wrote:Question:
①The difference of the damage between the different color of Gain is clearly?
I just know the most powerful main shot is A Gain,the most powerful bomb is B Gain,The most powerful option shot is C Gain...but I can't feel the clearly difference...just the different move speed
②sometimes I can use 3 bombs quickly,but sometimes I can't use the third bomb after 2 bombs immediately,Why?
1. You're thinking of Armed Police Batrider (and I think Battle Bakraid as well). The differences between variants in Battle Garegga is as trap15 said.

2. From what I've heard it's something to do with the sprite count overloading the game and preventing it from properly registering your third bomb. Setting an autofire on your bomb button can help you deploy your third bomb more consistently.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I have a couple little questions about rank. Does anyone happen to know whether:

- The 20 weapon fragments you get after a death affect your rank? (I'm guessing not.)
- Rolling over to a new "full weapon" via a death avoids the extra rank penalty that completing a full weapon via small fragments normally gives?

I'm trying to calculate optimal suicide points in my route in order to avoid wasting the rank decrease and to see what "rank-raising" scoring targets I can go after safely. I want to sit down with MAME and try to see if my math is in the right ballpark first, though.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

The weapon fragments you get on death don't affect rank. They're Yagawa's gift to you for your sacrifice.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

That's what I was hoping. Thanks!
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

OK, I'm not sure how interesting my actual routing math would be to anyone, but here are maybe a couple little tidbits that someone could find handy.

First, a customized MAME cheat XML file; the Garegga cheats in the standard MAME cheat database don't display the per-frame rank at all, and the regular rank is also displayed in a bit of a (IMO) weird way. This may be useful for people who aren't using GareMAME or custom romsets.

Second, here's a cheatsheet of the rank breakpoints that you need to be under in order to not "waste" any of the rank decrease from a suicide. That is, if you want to get the most bang for your buck, it's best not to suicide when your rank is "below" (numerically, above) these numbers, unless you need to for another specific reason. (Sorry if this is already hiding in the thread somewhere, but I did a Google search and didn't get any hits.)

Code: Select all

Life Stock | Cutoff
------------+----------
     5      | EC0400
     4      | EA0600
     3      | E80800
     2      | E60000
     1      | E40200
This way, it's pretty simple to just check the first two digits of your rank to see whether it's a good idea to suicide for rank control at a given time or not. I was surprised at the flat-out wasteful suicides I had been doing in stages 2 and 3.

On a related topic, I also noticed that for my typical runs, certain early optional scoring targets (like bombing the red planes in stage 2) have literally no long-term effect on the rank, due to the suicides that you'll already be doing. If you suicide to zero stock before the birds in stage 2, and then again somewhere around Mad Ball in order to get fragments for stage 3, your rank will almost certainly be zeroed out at that point regardless of whether you bomb those red planes or not, making them completely free. Stage 3 isn't quite that clear-cut, but even if you bomb most of the optional targets, the rank should still be somewhat low. For me in a test run, it was in the E7xxxx range after a single suicide just before the fixed extend. With another suicide on or after the boss, that should probably come somewhere close to zeroing out your rank again, starting you at stage 4 with near-minimum rank. I can't guarantee that that'll be true for everyone, especially if you milk or power up a lot, but it may be worth checking into it if you're not sure.