Your Dream Game Hackz

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ruldra

Re: Your Dream Game Hackz

Post by Ruldra »

gameoverDude wrote:Super Street Fighter IV (hell, even any SFII or SFIII): Another survival mode but with no health bar. Instead of health you'd lose time for getting hit- while doing combos, first attacks, perfects, or KOs would regain it. If the time runs out, you lose. So, no wins by Time Over here. One round against each character (will be a total of 44 in Ultra SFIV), then the total time remaining would be your record- challenging you to bank lots of time by avoiding damage, using combos, and KOing opponents ASAP.
Only game I can think of that has something like this is the arcade mode of MotoGP 10/11. You have a set amount of time to finish the race but you can regain time by overtaking, doing tricks with your bike and doing clean laps (not going off-track or bumping other riders). At the end of the season all your banked time would decide your place in the leaderboards.

Pretty fun mode. Even better than the main career mode.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

emphatic wrote:Ninja Kid 2 - 3 button version.
Use a third button to cycle through the weapon inventory instead of pushing the joystick upwards (original mechanic is making it quite unplayable with Japanese joysticks as they're too sensitive).
I'll probably do this tonight. Been really enjoying the game recently, and I'm kinda bored :P

I've not encountered this problem much myself though; it happens occasionally but I've trained myself not to accidentally do it heh. The hack would only work on a PCB or a modified MAME, because MAME has some weird aversion to including inputs that are hooked up but not acknowledged by the game.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Gunnail alarm free version
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

trap15 wrote:
emphatic wrote:Ninja Kid 2 - 3 button version.
Use a third button to cycle through the weapon inventory instead of pushing the joystick upwards (original mechanic is making it quite unplayable with Japanese joysticks as they're too sensitive).
I'll probably do this tonight. Been really enjoying the game recently, and I'm kinda bored :P

I've not encountered this problem much myself though; it happens occasionally but I've trained myself not to accidentally do it heh. The hack would only work on a PCB or a modified MAME, because MAME has some weird aversion to including inputs that are hooked up but not acknowledged by the game.
My hero. :D Which romset are you playing? Set 1 is superior to all of the others. Me and some other fans of this game discussed the demo sequence difference, and 2b was the first revision, Rad Action / Set 2a is the second and Set 1 is the last one, as it has the shortest demo sequence (difficulty tweaked to perfection).

Best add your 3 button hack to set 1, for great justice! This will finally make me get proper roms for my PCB (aftermarket clone of the original sans the suicide audio CPU).
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Interesting! I didn't know there was a difference. I'll have to take a look :)
However I'm mad tired now because I slept bad last night and ate awesome dinner, so I'll do it tomorrow :lol:
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

In some romsets, if you hang around a stage too long, and the wheel of fire comes along to eventually kill you, you're supposed to begin again with the full time. But alas, you'll only get 90 seconds or so instead of 300 seconds, because the game thinks that you're just milking that stage for points (which you probably are :lol: ). But that takes the fun out of the game for me.

Differences that I know of:
Spoiler
Ninja Kid 2 (set 1)

Clear stage 3 fast and get the reward weapon. If you've already gotten the Fire weapon by now (by picking up two Fire power-ups really quick) this'll mean you'll get the Bomb weapon already. If you're not carrying Fire, you'll get the Boomerang.

Stage 4 (the cool, blue stage) has three Fire power-ups and no friggin' birds.

Ninja Kid 2 (set 2a)

Clear stage 3 fast and get the reward weapon, Boomerang, as there aren't enough Fire power-ups to pick Fire up on a regular stage. Stage 4 has pesky black birds, and these also appear in greater number than in Set 1. Much harder. Enemies also tend to jump and fire more frequently.

Ninja Kid 2 (set 2b)

Stage 3 gives you the Boomerang. Same number of power-ups as in Set 1. No extra birds.

Rad Action

Except for the title screen - same as Set 2a.

Fish Stage demo sequence differences:

"Set 1 " - Extremely short.
"Set 2a" - Short.
"Set 2b" - The longest.
"Rad Action" - Short.

^^Suggesting that the difficulty has been tweaked and the demo play didn't get any attention which is quite common apparently.
Oh, and if you get too many extends in stock without suiciding, you'll get punished for it. Unless you already know this, I'll let you figure this one out yourself. ;) It's the same for all revisions AFAIK.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
quash

Post by quash »

Initial D Ver. 3+, with all tuning options available as soon as you choose your car, as well as courses from later games.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Someone hack Crisis Force so that it shows you your score at the end. Seriously, Konami. You know how to make shooters, why did you not do this?

It would be nice to see it on the pause screen, too.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Kingsley's Adventure with the attack and block buttons set to the shoulder buttons like in Souls games. And right thumbstick to control the camera. That's just the start, as I could think of a plethora of things to make the game a lot more enjoyable.
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

A bugfixed, rebalanced version of Psikyo's Daraku Tenshi with playable bosses and every character given a Level 2 desperation move.
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

A major overhaul to Battletoads & Double Dragon, to fix the Double Dragon side of things, since the developers apparently never ever played a Double Dragon game.
Image Image Image Image
KAI

Post by KAI »

quash wrote:Initial D Ver. 3+, with all tuning options available as soon as you choose your car, as well as courses from later games.
This so much, and Radirgy Noah without collision damage.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

trap15 wrote:However I'm mad tired now because I slept bad last night and ate awesome dinner, so I'll do it tomorrow :lol:
Did you ever do anything with this?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Wow, what a terrible thread. I'm not sure what's worse: all the I-have-no-idea-how-to-play-the-game garbage, or all the translation-pls filler posts. Oh wait, I know!
lilmanjs wrote:Give me all of the Rockman Zero games(GBA ones only) in a new release package that only replaces the music with the III soundtracks from the Remastered soundtrack releases. A lot of that is great music period, let alone video game music.
The Remastered albums aren't even good. There are very very few songs that sound at all decent, let alone better than the source as per the usual implication. I will admit that Mythic has a bit more heart put into it than the main albums, but it happens to be the one that really can't be brought up, so...

On the other hand, the ZX Tunes albums are almost entirely better than the source, without question. Funny how that works! Those are the ones that need your fancy little package, because Rockman Zero Collection is almost the best that one can possibly do with those games at all.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

emphatic wrote:
trap15 wrote:However I'm mad tired now because I slept bad last night and ate awesome dinner, so I'll do it tomorrow :lol:
Did you ever do anything with this?
Thanks for the reminder :oops:

Took me like 20 minutes to figure it out and hack it in... I'll just post the instructions to modify it because ~lazy~.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Patches
Open nk2_01.rom (ROM labeled '1') in a hex editor. Change the following sets of bytes:

Code: Select all

Address 0x18:
  Original data: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
  New data     : 2F E6 F7 CB 77 28 02 F6 08 C9

Address 0x20A0:
  Original data: 2F
  New data     : DF

Address 0x20A8:
  Original data: 2F
  New data     : DF
What this does
Disables the up functionality on stick, and replaces it with button 3.

Tech info
Assembly version of the new code:

Code: Select all

0x18:
cpl      ; 2F
and ~8   ; E6 F7
bit 6,a  ; CB 77
jr z, +  ; 28 02
or 8     ; F6 08
+
ret      ; C9

0x20A0:
rst $18  ; DF

0x20A8:
rst $18  ; DF
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

trap15 wrote: Thanks for the reminder :oops:
Very cool, I'll give it a shot. Does this work for all romsets? I'll try to find a hex editor now. ;) Edit: If UP is totally disabled, the game is broken on the swim stages!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

emphatic wrote:
Very cool, I'll give it a shot. Does this work for all romsets? I'll try to find a hex editor now. ;) Edit: If UP is totally disabled, the game is broken on the swim stages!
Only known to work with set 1.

Didn't think about the swim stages... :oops: What should I do then :?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Despatche wrote:Wow, what a terrible thread. I'm not sure what's worse: all the I-have-no-idea-how-to-play-the-game garbage, or all the translation-pls filler posts. Oh wait, I know!
Whatever it is going on in your life at the moment, you have my sympathies. You should probably stop posting on video game forums until you've come to terms with your grief, anger, pain, or whatever it is that's got you locked into raging asshead mode.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

trap15 wrote:
emphatic wrote:
Only known to work with set 1.

Didn't think about the swim stages... :oops: What should I do then :?
Well, I don't know how game logic works, but on swim stages, the weapon switching only happens when you are out of the water, so maybe there's some "if" logic you can apply that enables the up function when it's swim time? Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier. :oops:
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Skykid wrote:Whatever it is going on in your life at the moment, you have my sympathies. You should probably stop posting on video game forums until you've come to terms with your grief, anger, pain, or whatever it is that's got you locked into raging asshead mode.
Did you travel through time to leave a message for yourself?
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

TheRedKnight wrote:
Did you travel through time to leave a message for yourself?
Nice dig. :)

I'm great at the moment, I'm in happy asshead mode.

Back to the Hackz.

Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Despatche has become pretty unbearable.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
trap15

Post by trap15 »

☐ Strongly Agree
☐ Agree
☐ Disagree
☑ Strongly Disagree
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Setting aside the message, he is pretty shrill and tedious.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ninja Cop / Ninja Five-O (GBA): Bomb throwers stand out as one of this excellent game's very few weak points. Should've been trickier to approach, and their bombs deadlier to ignore.

-make flying bomb explode on impact with player, if it's not sliced.
-bigger explosion radius on timeout; say, a few crate lengths. Cornered player should be forced to either slice incoming bombs, or evade.

Deftly slicing bombs feels great, just like all the game's other projectiles, but there should be similar pressure. Screw up and they'll bounce harmlessly off you, or go out in an irrelevant pop, in the air and ground respectively.

Related, literally every god damn game ever: unlockable difficulties/courses should be accessible via cheat code, as contingency for save data failure. F-Zero X got it right. "But ppl will just unlock everything and nevr play again!" Yeah, but fuck people. >:[
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Hell, BIL, nix the codes, too. Just let it all be there from the start. Anyways, there's quite a few games that I think could be improved with a few small patches.

Super Mario Bros. 3:
- Either make the autoscrollers NOT autoscrollers, or make the scrolling speed faster. Shit's boring as hell.

MD Sonic games:
- Don't lock control after roll-jumping
- Use Sonic CD-esque camera system that lets you see farther ahead when you start going fast.
- Give Super Sonic transformation an input that doesn't overlap with jumping/gliding/etc

Sonic Advance:
- Let Amy run as fast as everyone else and make hammer hitbox come out faster. (i.e. like it is in the Amy in Sonic 1 hack)

Sonic Adventure 2:
- Remove somersault, and let rolling/spin-dash take over its functions.
I mean, seriously, you can destroy METAL ROBOTS while rolling, so why not wooden crates?

Sonic Heroes:
- Mid-air formation switching

Mega Man games from SNES onwards:
- Instead of left/right weapon cycling, just hold down one "switch" button, then push one of the eight directions to change weapons.
- If not that, then at least have some weapons be accessible through simple command inputs like Zero. Like, in X4, just put Rising Fire on Up+Shoot, and Ground Hunter on Down+Shoot, and they don't have to be in the list of weapons you cycle through.

Einhander:
- Extra button so that the two-pod ship can shoot its regular machine guns without wasting weapon ammo.
- Vulcan Gun locks angle while firing.

3D Tales games:
- Free Run is default movement, and the Free Run button becomes the lock-on button that changes movement to linear style.
- When using Semi-Auto with projectile attacks, characters only rotate to face the enemy, instead of also running up to them. There's not much point in getting into melee range to use a projectile attack, now is there?
- General animation tightening. It's not as much of an issue in the newer games, but man Vesperia has some really shitty, impractical attack animations.

Wild Guns:
- Move left/right with the L/R buttons instead of the D-Pad, making movement and aiming independent.

Star Fox Assault:
- Increase turning speed for on-foot characters or add a 90- or 180-degree turn button.

Pocky & Rocky and various other overhead shooters:
- Add Shock Troopers' strafe mechanic.

The Red Star:
- Remove Gun Overheat gague/mechanic. It adds literally nothing to the game. At least half of the regular enemies in the game are immune to bullets, and most of the other half aren't stunned by them, so it's not like you're using them a shit-ton during stages. It just makes boss fights slightly longer and more annoying. Either that or make the gun coolant/recharge upgrades better.
- Start off with ALL level 1 guns. I generally just upgrade the main gun and see buying the others as a waste.
- Put more of those grenade-shooting enemies in the game, or something else that shoots something like turrets or whatever. Too many enemy encounters are totally frivolous because there's nothing pressuring you. You can just wait for the goons to walk up to you and combo them from there.

Okay, I should probably stop now.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

TMNT: Tournament Fighters

I'd love to see this game updated with better balance between characters, a speed upgrade, and perhaps a re-working of the super attack ability. Possibly adding a dash forward ability too!
A speed hack alone would be incredible, especially if it got up to the rate of ST or Hyper fighting.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

hard mode for Grandia II: such a strategic battle system, but without a need for very much strategizing because it's so easy. Actually, this apparently exists, but only works with the PC version. I have not yet tried it, but I definitely will sometime.

Some kind of hack of Omega Fighter that gets rid of the need for powerup dodging and the degree to which you get screwed over when you die and get wide shot back. IDK what way to do it, but it's very frustrating as is.

A version of Samidare that gets rid of the enemy contact damage to make it more Mars Matrix like. Not that I mind it how it is, but I think I'd like it better that way.

On a related note, other games that have proximity based scoring might be improved by either Takumi or Psikyo style enemy collisions. Then again, aero chimera already does that, and it's awesome. only way to get max multiplier on proximity is to actually be on top of the enemy in question.

Triggerheart Exelica mod to not punish death in terms of multiplier but also give you more feedback for dying

I could probably think of more. I also really like a few of the ideas already mentioned, such as Drum's Sonic 2+3+K ultimate version from page 2, BIL's 6 button Thunder Force IV idea (also with infinite milking removed), and BIL's Elemental Master difficulty upgrade.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

- Gradius III SNES play without slowdown
- Smooth scrolling in Nemesis 3 MSX
CStarFlare wrote:Someone hack Crisis Force so that it shows you your score at the end.
Also remove any slowdown, it will be my favorite game EVER if they did.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

For Akira on the Amiga to get reworking:

Add music
Tone down impossible difficulty level
Shorten length by an hour