RQ: Shikigami no Shiro EX

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Damocles

RQ: Shikigami no Shiro EX

Post by Damocles »

I've recently been playing this on my computer and I have a couple of questions.

1.) What's the difference between the main game and I.R. mode? I was expecting an extreme game like in Shiki 2, but that's not really the case.

2.) Did characters differ in the amount of bombs they carried in regular Shiki 1? I noticed that different characters carried more or less than three in EX. Since I didn't play much of Shiki on the PS2, I can't tell if this has always been the case.

Overall, it's an interesting game, though inferior to Shiki 2. Oddly enough, I've found that I enjoy playing with the ???? girl. Her shiki seems relatively powerful and I enjoy the homing shot. Sadly, she only comes equipped with one bomb. Unfortunately, my beloved Kim was apparently greatly beefed up for Shiki 2. Any suggestions character-wise?
BulletMagnet

Re: Shikigami no Shiro EX

Post by BulletMagnet »

Damocles wrote:Oddly enough, I've found that I enjoy playing with the ???? girl. Her shiki seems relatively powerful and I enjoy the homing shot. Sadly, she only comes equipped with one bomb.
The most interesting (and sometimes frustrating) thing about her, though (if she plays on PC like she does on PS2) is that she has the ability to teleport a short distance if you double-tap in one direction: good for getting out of a jam if you see one coming, but makes rapid tap dodging hard to do, not to mention that you may appear right on top of another bullet (I think she may get a split second of invincibility to get outta the way, but I'm not sure). And as for the bomb, yeah, unfortunately one is all she gets for the whole freakin' game, but at least the thing's powerful, heh heh. In any event, I don't mind too much that she didn't make Shiki 2, seeing as she's more or less Fumiko on steroids.

As for the bomb thing, I'll have to check for you...I didn't notice anything too weird in bomb numbers (aside from "???" anyways), but next time I whip thye thing out I'll have a look.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Ok....I've found out a few things after playing around.

1.) I.R. mode is basically an arranged mode designed for internet ranking, much like the method in Shiki 2. There are more enemies, they are more likely to advance to your position, and they fire more. Not quite extreme mode, but not simply a difficulty crank.

2.) I was wrong about different numbers of starting bombs. I figured Kuga recieved more because his is a weak-ass bomb. Not so. He simply recieves bombs much faster because the Shiki attack allows him to level up much faster than say Kim without the Shiki engaged.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

It looks like my goal of a 1cc within a week is not to be. Anyway, I still have a few questions.

A.) What's the story with 5-3? Does this operate on a time-based system, or do I have to do something special to end the level?

B.) Is there a relatively simple way to tackle 5-2? My (relatively) safe method is to begin by taking out the lower right leg while the bigass blue orbs are being spit at me, waiting until the third pattern then moving toward the two left center legs and bombing to kill them. Following that I switch to autofire and take out the top left leg while dodging the pink fan fire. After that, moving down and taking out the lower left leg so I only have to deal with the spread fire on the bottom. Using autofire to quickly kill that, then moving up-right and point-blanking the two center legs, bombing the top one if needed. After that, we go into the fan-fire and fireball section and then the random blue bullets, which are no problem.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Again, answered my own questions.

1.) Not time based. The boss simply goes through his pattern until he (quite weakly) self-destructs.

It took two weeks to 1cc this bastid, a week longer than any other game. Now, however, it's on to I.R. mode.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, congrats: the farthest I've manged to get on the thing so far is level 4.