Rob's Complete list of SNES shmups.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RGC

Re: Rob's Complete list of SNES shmups.

Post by RGC »

Last edited by RGC on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Friendly wrote:Rendering Ranger R2 is half shmup, half platformer/run and gun.
100% exploitable broken levels
and I am 200% invested in that title :oops:
CID

Post by CID »

10 days past from the previous post. *SMH*

Yeah, most don't put R2 on the list.
"That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." ~ Trevor Goodchild

Always looking for obscure Castlevania ports and related items.
gabrielesquaratti

Post by gabrielesquaratti »

i'm sorry rob's tastes are god awful to me.to say the least
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

oh wow, i didn't know there was an snes remake of fucking GALAXY WARS. guess imagineer was inspired by that whole "space invaders the original game" project.

i keep forgeting tekkaman blade is partly a shmup, hue
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I like it that this topic seems to rise from the grave every now and then. It's entertaining fun. :lol:
gabrielesquaratti wrote:i'm sorry rob's tastes are god awful to me.to say the least
I'd say the list is about pretty accurate; about 5 good snes shooters (+ the unlisted R-Type 3 and Pocky and Rocky), 5 OK ones, and the rest pretty much worthless outside a curiosity playthrough. Though I enjoy UN Squadron - definitely a 6/10 for me! :P
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yeah, it's a pretty good list imo.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

It's decent. I think the "good" examples need a bit better score (I would personally give Axelay and Super Aleste much higher scores.)
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Heat

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Those scores in the OP are hilarious, though I recognize that it was written back in the caveman times before the gods brought us fire. Super Aleste is a crown jewel.
dmk1198 wrote:Heat

Al Pacino's spread shot is amazing, but I still main Tom Sizemore for the raw damage output once you get his laser powered up. At least until I unlock Tone Loc, but beating that second loop with the LAPD helicopter that has 3 life bars and those stupid fast homing bullet patterns to get him seems impossible.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

That necro bump...

Also, that moment when the game you are currently playing is a 1 out of 10. Come on, don't do Darius Force dirty like that. It is not a great game, but a 1 out of 10? Oh my...
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

To Far Away Times wrote:That necro bump...

Also, that moment when the game you are currently playing is a 1 out of 10. Come on, don't do Darius Force dirty like that. It is not a great game, but a 1 out of 10? Oh my...
What are the chances?
Today was the first time I've ever played Super Nova/Darius Force. I really dug the SNES vibes which is something I don't usually dabble with. That heartbeat sound during the title screen is just pure SNES took me back to the 90s.
After an hour of playing I was left thinking "why haven't I ever heard/read anyone talking about this game??" and in the same though "oh yeah, everyone always said the SNES Darius games sucked!"
...and then here tonight that exact subject pops up.

I'm looking forward to playing it again tomorrow.
Those Darius Arcade and Console collections are so nice. Like my favorite discs yet for PS4.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Personally, I rank both Darius games above the TFAC port. Though I rank both III and AC above both SNES Darius games.
To Far Away Times

Koa Zo wrote: What are the chances?
Today was the first time I've ever played Super Nova/Darius Force. I really dug the SNES vibes which is something I don't usually dabble with. That heartbeat sound during the title screen is just pure SNES took me back to the 90s.
After an hour of playing I was left thinking "why haven't I ever heard/read anyone talking about this game??" and in the same though "oh yeah, everyone always said the SNES Darius games sucked!"
...and then here tonight that exact subject pops up.

I'm looking forward to playing it again tomorrow.
Those Darius Arcade and Console collections are so nice. Like my favorite discs yet for PS4.
I've been meaning to get those. I will get the new one with G-Darius and Burst on day one. Those are my two favorite games in the series.

So I put some more practice into Darius Force and ended up getting a 1CC of the lower route which was exciting. I'd say it took about 3 total days of playing, maybe 5 hours in total with save state practice. I actually died and powered down during the final descent and had to figure out that part and the final boss with just the pea shooter. It was a memorable run for sure though!

I do wish this game had a bit more exposure. I could only find a a few articles and reviews on the internet. I think Darius Twin leaves a better first impression with its better visuals but I think Force has the better soundtrack. Darius Force is pretty much what I'd think of as a base line for an average quality shmup. Worth playing for genre fans, doesn't really do anything exceptional, but does everything well enough and has a few flourishes.
BrianC wrote:Personally, I rank both Darius games above the TFAC port. Though I rank both III and AC above both SNES Darius games.
I'd agree with that ranking. Though, I really love the genesis version of Thunder Force III. Since they're built from mostly the same pieces, Thunderforce AC and Thunder Spirits just goes to show that it really is the artistry and secret sauce that is the difference between so-so and exceptional. Thunder Force III is the fullest extent of the jam.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

I hadn't realised till I spent time to 1cc TFIII and TFAC (and Spirits) recently that almost every enemy sprite, bar bosses and some minibosses, have been completely re-done for AC. It seems quite a bizarre load of work to do when there was nothing wrong with the original models and they don't seem to behave differently. It is not as if the new ones are higher resolution. Why not spend the time do make an entire third new level? Or even just an additional new boss?

Spirits uses the AC sprites and adds another two new levels, but they are so obviously not technosoft made. They have a different aesthetic and they quite noticeably lose the momentum/adrenaline that Thunder Force games all have. The only bit that does get crazy is the falling asteroids, but unless you sit at the front, the player is subject to a long series of repeated deaths without warnings. Thanks to the slowdown it is doable, but it is definitely a step down from the original Cerberus level.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm under the impression that the stages may have been changed at the last minute in TFAC. The high score screen still lists the TFIII names for the changed stages and a more polished version of the asteroid song is a hidden omake in TFIV.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

BrianC wrote:I'm under the impression that the stages may have been changed at the last minute in TFAC. The high score screen still lists the TFIII names for the changed stages and a more polished version of the asteroid song is a hidden omake in TFIV.
You may be right. The second new level is really just a mash up of Thunder Force II assets. They didn't make any attempt to improve on the rather basic TFII enemy models, and they do stick out in their garish colours and simplicity compared to the rest of the game. An ideal perfect TFIII would have the excellent St4 asteroid level included before the Hades stage, but the above st5 TFII temple level would be better as an omake/secret level, perhaps capping off with the Thunder Spirits short final level, (though the rights of Thunder Spirits may lie with Toshiba who did the port).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The TFII level in TFAC also keeps the TFIII bosses from Ellis instead of using the TFII bosses.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

BrianC wrote:The TFII level in TFAC also keeps the TFIII bosses from Ellis instead of using the TFII bosses.
Yes, it is really a budget level, although admittedly still fun to play through. The Mobile Fort boss always looked a bit out of place in the icy Ellis stage to me, and I think it would have been better as the boss of the St6 Cerberus level which doesn't really have a proper boss.
heli

Post by heli »

Thanks for the list, i be looking at them all.
Not looking at scores, its a matter of taste.
And indeed SNES sucks, i be playing advanced-buster-gleylauncer alot for megadrive, its the best 16-bit game i think.
To Far Away Times

Axelay and R-Type 3 are good games.

Space Megaforce and the two Darius games are decent.

Gradius III is passable.

But the Genesis and PCEngine definitely come out ahead.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

So many good shmups back then
Thank the gods for retroarch etc
I'm having alot of fun playing , discovering all these and the mame shmups to
Nvidia shield and classic SNES hacked are just to much fun

Loving the switch re releases etc

But is dariusburst like the last big budget release? Seems not many big releases of new shmups? Raiden V to I guess
To Far Away Times

Crimzon Clover just got a switch release. That game takes the bullet hell subgenre about as far as its gone before. And we have R-Type Final 2 to look forward to, which looks spectacular from the trailers. Should be really good unless there's an unforseen screw up.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

To Far Away Times wrote:Crimzon Clover just got a switch release. That game takes the bullet hell subgenre about as far as its gone before. And we have R-Type Final 2 to look forward to, which looks spectacular from the trailers. Should be really good unless there's an unforseen screw up.
R type deffo thnx for reminder
The bullethell ones don't win me over yet, think I prefer the minimal gradius style vibe

heli

Post by heli »

R-type i have the same on GBA, so not intrested to play here.
All those games play bad, i quickly launched the megadrive advanced busterhawk.
I play no SHMUPS on SNES again

Well, some i did not have in my ''complete" list.
Have to find them ROMs somewhere else.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Busterhawk plays really well mate via retroarch on SNES classic, playing it now

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

heli wrote:R-type i have the same on GBA, so not intrested to play here.
R-Type III on GBA is not the same as on SNES. It's a terrible port.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Samildanach wrote:
BrianC wrote:I'm under the impression that the stages may have been changed at the last minute in TFAC. The high score screen still lists the TFIII names for the changed stages and a more polished version of the asteroid song is a hidden omake in TFIV.
You may be right. The second new level is really just a mash up of Thunder Force II assets. They didn't make any attempt to improve on the rather basic TFII enemy models, and they do stick out in their garish colours and simplicity compared to the rest of the game.
It can't be that Garish. I've played the AGES port of AC a ton, and while I knew some stages had been changed from III, I didn't know which ones.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote: It can't be that Garish. I've played the AGES port of AC a ton, and while I knew some stages had been changed from III, I didn't know which ones.
Haides (moving cave) and Ellis (snow stage). TF2 stage looks pretty much like how it does in TF2 and it seems to be based on the MD version of the stage, not the X68000 version.

edit: I was mistaken about the stage looking just like it does in TF2. It is based off the MD version, but the graphics were actually touched up a slight bit.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

Personally, I would say that Space Megaforce and Axelay deserve to have like 9/10 or so. They're both some of the best shooters in the SNES. Gradius III and R-Type III are also good.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki