SCART Distributor -- not a switcher - know where to get one?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
opt2not

SCART Distributor -- not a switcher - know where to get one?

Post by opt2not »

I'm looking to get into live-game streaming. Most of my consoles are RGB ready, and I have an XRGB-mini for the highest quality output. But I'd like to play on my PVM at the same time as capturing the audio and video with my PC.
So I figured I can have the RGB outputted from my consoles and distributed to a PVM and the Mini at the same time. The mini would be plugged into the Capture device via HDMI. (I haven't decided on which capture device to get yet -- most likely an AVerMedia live gamer)

I have the SCART cables for my consoles and XRGB-mini already, but I can't seem to find a SCART distributor so I can get it connected to the monitor.

My questions are:
- Does anyone know where I can get a 2-way SCART distributor of decent quality? This is different from a switcher since I want to have 1 device output 2 feeds simultaneously.

- Does the SCART distributor need to be powered/amped? If not, could I just make (or get someone to make) a SCART cable that splits off the signals?

I appreciate the help from you pros. :D
Ed Oscuro

Re: SCART Distributor -- not a switcher - know where to get

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I barely remember it at this point, but I think Arasoi suggested that I get an Audio Authority AccessEz Model 985U. I haven't tried using it, however.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I use a simple SCART splitter (not that exact model, just something similar and non-powered) and just plug it in "backwards" - that is, I used an adapter to change the male plug into a female one, plug my console into that, and lo and behold, from the two female plugs meant for input I output the signal to both my normal TV and TATE-TV at the same time.

I can't say if every model works both ways like that, but some certainly do.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Ghegs wrote:I use a simple SCART splitter (not that exact model, just something similar and non-powered) and just plug it in "backwards" - that is, I used an adapter to change the male plug into a female one, plug my console into that, and lo and behold, from the two female plugs meant for input I output the signal to both my normal TV and TATE-TV at the same time.

I can't say if every model works both ways like that, but some certainly do.
Of course! Brilliant.
Thanks Ghegs. :D
Thrill

Post by Thrill »

I'd also like to know of an exact model of SCART amplifier I can buy that is 1 input and 2 outputs. Can you really get away with non powered here?
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Thrill wrote:I'd also like to know of an exact model of SCART amplifier I can buy that is 1 input and 2 outputs. Can you really get away with non powered here?
I'm going to assume it's any non-switchable SCART splitter, since I believe they are wired in parallel. Most splitter descriptions I've read state that when connected normally, one device should be set to stand-by/off.

As for non-powered, I think it should be OK for 2 outputs. There shouldn't be too much draw to cause troubles, but I'd be more worried of interference. I'll test my theory once I get my hands on one.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Does anyone own a Hama SM-420 and a capture card? You can get it for 5€ on eBay quite often. I know a guy on another forum who bought one, but he stopped responding after he got it. I would also be interested in recordings from an unpowered splitter.

A general note about recording gameplay with commentary when you're playing on a CRT: remember to filter out the 15kHz noise. I just watched Trihex's stream yesterday and it was really annoying.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

blizzz wrote: A general note about recording gameplay with commentary when you're playing on a CRT: remember to filter out the 15kHz noise. I just watched Trihex's stream yesterday and it was really annoying.
How does one go about that?
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

My Shinybow scart switch is a matrix switcher, so you can output a single source to two monitors at the same time.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

broken harbour wrote:My Shinybow scart switch is a matrix switcher, so you can output a single source to two monitors at the same time.
Nice! that's a more elegant solution.

I'm assuming this is what you're talking about?
http://www.shinybow.com.tw/pro/detail.p ... f=58&pa=58

Edit: Holy crap. I just read what these go for...$150+!
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

I have the 6 input version but yea.... this seems to be the best solution for you.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I use a simple SCART splitter (not that exact model, just something similar and non-powered) and just plug it in "backwards" - that is, I used an adapter to change the male plug into a female one, plug my console into that, and lo and behold, from the two female plugs meant for input I output the signal to both my normal TV and TATE-TV at the same time.
Knowing how finicky SCART can be I am frankly astounded that setup works for you :shock:

I use one of Keene's 1:5 splitters and it works well, though of course overkill for what you need. http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene ... -/SDA.html

Sometimes they come up on ebay for a fraction of that cost though.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Anybody want to comment on the AccessEz posted upthread? You need RCA connectors and the inputs are labeled for component, and it's discontinued, but there's still quite a few available for far less than $150 - more like $50.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Anybody want to comment on the AccessEz posted upthread? You need RCA connectors and the inputs are labeled for component, and it's discontinued, but there's still quite a few available for far less than $150 - more like $50.
Yeah it looks interesting, but it's not really what I'm looking for. Like I mentioned in the original post, I'm looking to distribute RGB from my consoles via my SCART connections. The AccessEz you posted, I'd either have to use composite or convert my RGB to component which is just another conversion step that I'm not willing to do.
BuckoA51 wrote: I use one of Keene's 1:5 splitters and it works well, though of course overkill for what you need. http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene ... -/SDA.html

Sometimes they come up on ebay for a fraction of that cost though.
Cool, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for one, hopefully I don't have to pay too much just to split-off a video signal. :shock:

I've found this site that has some really good information on various switchers:
http://www.videogameperfection.com/av-g ... h-roundup/
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

opt2not wrote: I've found this site that has some really good information on various switchers:
http://www.videogameperfection.com/av-g ... h-roundup/
That's Bucko's site. Great resource, used it many tmes.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

broken harbour wrote: That's Bucko's site. Great resource, used it many tmes.
:lol: I should have recognized that in his sig! Nice job BuckoA51!
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

opt2not wrote:
blizzz wrote: A general note about recording gameplay with commentary when you're playing on a CRT: remember to filter out the 15kHz noise. I just watched Trihex's stream yesterday and it was really annoying.
How does one go about that?
You would need either a low-pass filter or a band filter. I don't use any streaming software, so I can't say if there's an easy way to do it in XSplit or OBS. You will most likely need VAC and a program that can handle live audio streams and VST plugins. Something like this should do the trick: HiLoFilter
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Anybody want to comment on the AccessEz posted upthread?
It's for component video isn't it? We're after an RGB splitter here.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I was under the impression that if you had RCA connectors that it'd work. Voltage levels should be about same and I don't think there's anything in the device that's fiddling with the signal. Yes, if you want to deal only with SCART plugs, the other devices shown here all look more compelling - though I think that you could still buy SCART to RCA connectors, and back if needed, while still staying far under the price of some of the SCART distributors.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

blizzz wrote:You would need either a low-pass filter or a band filter. I don't use any streaming software, so I can't say if there's an easy way to do it in XSplit or OBS. You will most likely need VAC and a program that can handle live audio streams and VST plugins. Something like this should do the trick: HiLoFilter
This is some great info. Thanks!

I'm thinking I should try and pick up one of those simple SCART splitters for now, like Ghegs linked, and give that a go. It's much cheaper, available, and at least with it being SCART it'd be easy to open up and see what's happening inside. I just need to find some Male to Female adapters.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Forget the plugin I mentioned yesterday, it messes up the other frequencies.

Here's what you can use to filter the 15kHz CRT noise: VSTHost, Kjaerhus Audio: Classic Auto-Filter
Settings

Filter: Band Restrict (for some reason it doesn't say BR in VSTHost)
Frequency: 15kHz (15.5-15.7kHz)
Mix: 0:100

If you have two soundcards you can use a headset to test it. Just open a video with bad noise, set Stereo Mix (or Wave) as input and your headset on the second sound card as output. You can use the mix slider to compare original (100:0) to filtered (0:100). If you don't have a seperate headset you can also record the audio in VSTHost, or use Audacity to check the filter.

For live broadcasting you would use your microphone as input and either your default audio device or a VAC line as output.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I was under the impression that if you had RCA connectors that it'd work.
Typically no, if you feed RGB through a component switch or splitter usually it won't work properly. There usually isn’t enough bandwidth for the full range of RGB through a component switch, unless it’s designed for component and RGB.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30061

There is also a diagram from a few years back (which I found easily weeks back...but finding this forum link again proved far too difficult today, for some reason) Fudoh drew up with the model in question in the chain, though I forget what it was switching.

Note also on the product's description page that the 985u is designed to tackle HD component sources.

Fudoh, if you're reading, could you clarify this?
BubbaMc

Post by BubbaMc »

Perhaps an obvious suggestion, but does your PVM have an RGB analogue pass-through output?

Mine does.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

BubbaMc wrote:Perhaps an obvious suggestion, but does your PVM have an RGB analogue pass-through output?

Mine does.
Unfortunately neither of my PVMs have an RGB output pass-through, they only have composite and s-video outs on the other lines.
Drjebus

Post by Drjebus »

Along this same topic (apologies for Thread Bump of great magnitude) my PVM is the 1910, which has BNC ports for input *and* output. If I am guessing correctly, this means I can display the console video via RGB SCART to BNC, then do BNC outs to SCART into a SyncStrike, VGA that to an SLG3000, and finally VGA into a capture card, right? Since my PVM can function as both the display *and* the A/V splitter amp, I do not need to get an external one, yeah?
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

What will you be feeding to the Slg 3000? It must be 480p. You need to add an upscaler like the "ebay cga to vga" to the chain for it to work.
Drjebus

Post by Drjebus »

Ah, thanks, that's an important piece of the puzzle. One more device for the chain gang!
Drjebus

Post by Drjebus »

Drjebus wrote:Ah, thanks, that's an important piece of the puzzle. One more device for the chain gang!
You mean this thingie here? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGA-EGA-YUV-RGB ... 1200469581