Ikaruga DC vs. GC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ac_slatercore

Ikaruga DC vs. GC

Post by ac_slatercore »

I currently own Ikaruga for the Nintendo Gamecube. I have a VGA adaptor for my Dreamcast. I was thinking about purchasing DC Ikaruga to experience it on the VGA. Does anybody have a console preference on Ikaruga? Does the VGA look better than the GC version? Any feedback will help.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

This is a touchy subject and it has caused much controversy in the past on the old board.

IMO: Ikaruga on DC through VGA is WAY more better looking than the Gamecube version.

The general consensus on both versions seemed (on the old forum) to be:

DC version is the best.
GC version is good but can't touch the DC incarnation.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Neon

Post by Neon »

GC version practice modes can be helpful in mastering the game. However the DC version, especially through VGA, is better looking and sounding.

Hopefully the DC emu will have savestates and legit game support in its next incarnation, then it would definitely be the ultimate version.
mannerbot

Re: Ikaruga DC vs. GC

Post by mannerbot »

ac_slatercore wrote:Does the VGA look better than the GC version?
GCN Iky looks like garbage in comparison.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Can someone post some comparison pics of VGA DC Ruga and GCN Ruga? I can't seem to find any VGA pics.
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Just to reiterate what most others say:

The only thing the GC version has on the DC original is conquest mode, which can be helpful; however, if you have VGA there is no reason not to pick up a DC copy if you like the game even just a little bit. It really looks amazing on a monitor.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I played the DC version first, then the GC version for months, then got a real copy of the DC version and went back to it.... which caused me to go right back to the GC version. The big difference to me is the slowdown hiccups that you get in the dreamcast version. Well, that and the missing pieces of text from the openings of each stage and the ending, though a Japanese GC copy would most likely include those.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

has anyone bothered trying to play the Gamecube version with a component or HDMI cable to compare it against the Dreamcast version?

I'd like to see some side by side screenshot comparisons of the Gamecube vs Dreamcause using HDMI(or Component) vs VGA...

Seriously, it sounds like a lot of you are trying to compare svideo to vga or composite to VGA...
oxtsu

Re: Ikaruga DC vs. GC

Post by oxtsu »

mannerbot wrote:
ac_slatercore wrote:Does the VGA look better than the GC version?
GCN Iky looks like garbage in comparison.
If utilizing 480p mode and modded D-Terminal for VGA, the GC version is mildly less sharp image in that case. And then it's only from Chapter 2 onwards where the degradation is seen (due to game program/bug I suspect).

Point is that image difference is minimal with the right setup, and people have been blowing the issue out of proportion for too long now. DC version image is perfect however.

Even though I prefer the DC rev for it's Naomi exactness, I would agree with Treasure's president Maegawa that GC version is better, because of slowdown elimination with big chains and extra fractured chapter practice. Also, the interent ranking password which can still be utilized thanks to dedicated efforts of the www.ikaruga.co.uk team.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

im not sure about the looks as ive not played the dc version with a vga box but i prefer playing the gc version cos i find it easier to change polarity with the gc pads big A button
Neon

Post by Neon »

I don't have an HDTV but I have done s-vid-s-vid and composite-composite comparisons between the two, and DC does look a bit sharper, though it's nothing to write home about. Sound is the issue between the two, and it's a big one. Perhaps because the music is designed for the dc hardware, while on GC it's wav files or whatever. DC also has nicer explosions.

I'd say the slowdown happens so rarely that it's practically a non-issue, even in TATE.
zubiac

Post by zubiac »

roushimsx wrote:has anyone bothered trying to play the Gamecube version with a component or HDMI cable to compare it against the Dreamcast version?

I'd like to see some side by side screenshot comparisons of the Gamecube vs Dreamcause using HDMI(or Component) vs VGA...

Seriously, it sounds like a lot of you are trying to compare svideo to vga or composite to VGA...
agreed(although you have an interesting name for the dreamcast.....?)

comparing VGA with SVideo/RGP is not right(it's like comparing the high speed of a 100 and 200PS car).

however...the slowdown elimination(which IS noticeable in DC ver) is a huge plus in the GC version

for those who are not playing in VGA I would say the GC version is the better choise(imo)
War is in my Heart -- Death is by my Side
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

zubiac wrote:agreed(although you have an interesting name for the dreamcast.....?)
I've got fat fingers :(
Kron

Post by Kron »

The slowdown in the DC version is a non issue.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Has anyone compared the DC version with the Naomi version? Wondering if the Naomi version has higher grade textures (if its noticable) since there is more memory than a DC.
japtor

Post by japtor »

from what ive played, the naomi version is pretty identical, but ive only gotten up through chapter 3 in the arcade. only real differences are is that is says 'this stage' or something instead of 'this chapter' at the chapter score screens, and that the naomi one has more slow down.
I'd say the slowdown happens so rarely that it's practically a non-issue, even in TATE.
its a non issue, but it happens a lot. if you switch dc/gc versions, there are a few specific situations where the slowdown/lack of could make a difference if youre playing with a bit of muscle memory based on one version or the other.

as for sound/video, based on composite vs composite, basically, the dc one looks and sounds cleaner. the sound bugs that can happen in the gc one are the biggest problem, otherwise its pretty much fine. in the first level the cloud overlay seems a bit thicker, but doesnt really cause that much of a problem cause theres not much going on. anyways yeah, the dc one looks a bit sharper and cleaner, but its not a huge deal.

if you play in yoko though, its a big difference. for me the dc one was harder to play that way because things seemed overly sharp and bright, like bullets seemed to bloom a bit. the gc one is softer but feels like a more natual scaled down image, otherwise has a smaller mode with nothing cut off which helps, even if it is smaller. either way, both are slightly off in their aspect ratio, the image should be a little wider. i played on a friends widescreen, and with the image stretched horizontally, it was nearly the proper size.

as for conquest mode, its semi useful. i never got big into it because its not a proper simulation of actual play for me. basically for some parts id usually come in with a maxed laser, in conquest its at nothing. just something to keep in mind. and i couldnt get my last internet ranking code to work at ikaruga.co.uk, but i was too lazy to ask about that.
druuna

Post by druuna »

Regarding DC slowdown in Ikaruga:I noticed that some dreamcast are faster than others.
Speaking on a dreamcast forum a few users told me that there're some Dreamcast with faster ram....I don't know if it is true, but I have 2 DC consoles and one is faster with very little slowdown.
I noticed the same in 'Border Down' too.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Conquest mode was hardly useful for me, since Kiken's videos are way better, and I ended up buying the Appreciate DVD anyways (although playing like Kiken is probably a somewhat more realistic goal at this point)

Also, the GameCube version has some graphical glitches like some textures not showing up (most noticeably on the mothership in stage 1 when you launch) as well as some out-of-sync timing with the music. That's a bigger problem when you rely on audio cues to time your movements and attacks (not to mention the off-timing screws up some of the more dramatic moments).
The text that appear at the end of the first part of each chapter (and also at the beginnings of some) have also been removed completely.
There are audio glitches, too, where the announcer voice turns very quiet or completely silent.
All of these problems combined are hardly offset by the addition of the conquest mode (which I don't think you can quit and restart easily, therefore wasting even more time than starting over from the beginning quickly and getting more practice there) which completely screws you up if you start a stage halfway through with no laser charge, but have a full laser if you play through from the beginning.

The Dreamcast version is far superior.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm happy with my GCN version. I'm glad that a great shmup got released on the GCN. Glitches (which are all minor IMO) or not, the gameplay is still intact. However, if I had the DC version, I probably wouldn't have gotten the GCN one.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

I have put an extensive amount of time into both versions on the same monitor in TATE.

The DC version is better, no questions.

A list is easier to view.

DC
-Better sound quality.
-Sharper image.
-Slowdown = There is slowdown in TATE mode, and I do not view this as a bad thing since it is identicle to the NAOMI version. I do not view the GC versions "No slowdown" as a good thing, and it will make areas of the game HARDER compared to the NAOMI. Examples are TAGERI (HARD mode would be a nightmare) and the Chapter 3 boss once he starts shooting lasers.

GC
-A decrease in sharpness is clearly seen from Chapter 2 on. This bothered the hell out of me.
-Conquest mode - This is useless, there is a dump truck of better videos out there than these. Choosing sections of the level to start at is also flawed because you can't select if you want to start with full homing.
-Music is out of sync.
-Sound and Music glitches.
-Graphical glitches.

Even though I hate the GC version, there is no reason to switch to the DC version as long as you are happy (which I assume most will be).
Last edited by Valgar on Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Does ANYONE have a half-decent shmup stick for the GC? If not, you have your answer.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yeah, but there are converters and custom sticks could always be made.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Regarding DC slowdown in Ikaruga:I noticed that some dreamcast are faster than others.
Speaking on a dreamcast forum a few users told me that there're some Dreamcast with faster ram....I don't know if it is true, but I have 2 DC consoles and one is faster with very little slowdown.
I noticed the same in 'Border Down' too.
:lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

GaijinPunch wrote:Does ANYONE have a half-decent shmup stick for the GC? If not, you have your answer.
I heard that the Hori pads and sticks are good for shmups.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I have two arcade sticks for PS1. I have convertors to make them work on Dreamcast, PC,and GameCube, and they work wonders :)

I also have a Hori digital pad, but I hardly use it at all in favour of the arcade stick setup.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Forgot they had them for GC. It's a wonder they would bother though... there's like what, 2 shmups and no 2D fighting games?
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

iatneH wrote:the GameCube version has some graphical glitches like some textures not showing up (most noticeably on the mothership in stage 1 when you launch) as well as some out-of-sync timing with the music. That's a bigger problem when you rely on audio cues to time your movements and attacks (not to mention the off-timing screws up some of the more dramatic moments).
The text that appear at the end of the first part of each chapter (and also at the beginnings of some) have also been removed completely.
The text for each chapter is perfectly intact on the original JP Gamecube Ikaruga. Just avoid the "frothing demand" US version...
roushimsx wrote:has anyone bothered trying to play the Gamecube version with a component or HDMI cable
The Gamecube version on a large Sony flatscreen through Component Video looks gorgeous. The Gamecube has by far the best Component Video output quality of the three Component-capable consoles this generation (Xbox/Gamecube/PS2).

Not quite as nice as full VGA though... but don't underestimate the impact of a large screen size either, in the case of what you can plug the Gamecube version into.
zubiac

Post by zubiac »

GaijinPunch wrote:Forgot they had them for GC. It's a wonder they would bother though... there's like what, 2 shmups and no 2D fighting games?
do you mean the hori-pad?
It's not only one of the best pads ever....it also should be used for one purpose:
To play the +1000 2D games on gamecube.
No seriously.....GBA-Player +horipad turns the gamecube into one of the best 2D consoles.

of course I play 2D-GC games like "Star Soldier","Ikaruga","Capcom VS SNK 2","Castle of Shiki 2","Alien Hominid","Zelda 4 swords adventure","Mega Man Anniversary" etc etc with the Hori-Pad too.
Gamecube has plenty of (great-)2D titles.
War is in my Heart -- Death is by my Side
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

I just got the DC version of Ikaruga a few days ago, and aside from what everyone's mentioned, the DC version also has less loading. There's definitely longer pauses during loading for the GC version (really noticeable when restarting).
now tighter than your sister
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Neon wrote:GC version practice modes can be helpful in mastering the game. However the DC version, especially through VGA, is better looking and sounding.

Hopefully the DC emu will have savestates and legit game support in its next incarnation, then it would definitely be the ultimate version.
Legit game support is impossible since PC CD-ROM devices can't read GD-ROMs.