Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Obscura

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by Obscura »

Funny; that also happens to be a handy list of people that I pretty much consider to be a joke. Aspie with a Dakimakura, Graphics whore in denial, Blinge, and Eurogamer hipster. With enemies like that, who needs friends?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Obscura wrote:With enemies like that, who needs friends?
My brain is tired and struggling to make sense of this
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Surely you're familiar with the saying that you can judge a man by his enemies?

With a list of enemies like that, I must be doing pretty good!
Squire Grooktook

RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Given that Satan was the protagonist of Paradise Lost, the argument you're trying to make doesn't really work.

Like I said, judge me by my enemies. Including the one that was homeschooled and thus missed out on many valuable educational opportunities.
Squire Grooktook

Tragic protagonist doomed to inevitable failure, but hey whatever floats your boat.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Obscura wrote:Surely you're familiar with the saying that you can judge a man by his enemies?

With a list of enemies like that, I must be doing pretty good!
Lol. Making enemies of the best posters on the forum is not doing good.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Come on two-faced little bitch, I know for a fact that you've read the Continentals. You should know better than to think that tragedy is supposed to serve as an example of what not to do, as a simple warning.
Squire Grooktook

I would turn to Oedipus Rex as the undying example of tragedy without the comfort of moral warning.

I wonder if the tragedy of mod action will similarly strike without warning.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Typical homeschooled kid -- your ultimate comeback is "some designated authority figure is gonna have my back and get my revenge on you!"

Weak. Looks like I should have emphasized the "little bitch" part of "two-faced little bitch" a bit more.
Squire Grooktook

Actually "mod warning" was the only thing I could think of to go with "warning". Just trying to keep the literary repartee going.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I played a bit of the Leynos remake for PS4. I'm liking it so far, though the classic mode seems to be more of a Tempest Plus-ish remake rather than a straight up port. I also sampled a bit of Valken and the MD original on real hardware. Target Earth seems to be a better localization than Cybernator. It at least keeps the portraits intact.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Cybernator is a ghastly poor localization -- NoA's strict "no death" rules caused the entire story to get butchered.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Every time I peek into this thread, 2 or 3 more pages have passed. I love the sudden surge of activity, but there's a lot of stuff I want to comment on and join the discussion in, and it's kinda moot when it's already two pages ago.
kitten

Post by kitten »

Sumez wrote:Every time I peek into this thread, 2 or 3 more pages have passed. I love the sudden surge of activity, but there's a lot of stuff I want to comment on and join the discussion in, and it's kinda moot when it's already two pages ago.
please, god, do talk about something from 2 or 3 pages ago, when things worth talking about were being discussed. this is a sincere plea
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BIL

Post by BIL »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:All this Alien Soldier talk made me put a credit into it for the first time in several years, and hey, I finally figured out how to beat that fucking Street Shark reject! It was... pretty anti-climatic, honestly. Died to the guy after that, though I probably could've gotten farther if I didn't keep getting the A ad C buttons mixed up. :oops:

But, to be honest here, if you don't care about getting 10 points from the Russian judge for your grace and speed in killing the bosses, the first batch ain't exactly the most interesting bunch. There's a few things you can do with the Counter-Force here and there, but it really is a lot of zip-to-win.
I'm guessing this is more of a later-game issue? Burning through ammo on Flying Neo has never really screwed me on Xi-Tiger before.
*shrug*

I play action games for the pleasure of action gaming. If you're happy playing slowly and awkwardly, so be it. None of Act I's bosses live more than 10 seconds or so when I'm at the controls, but that requires more sophisticated play than "zip to win." I can explain, if you like. Maybe you'll actually take heed, unlike that shitposting scrub Obscura.

Speaking of him:
Squire Grooktook wrote:Proving his arguments wrong like BIL is doing is only really useful for outside readers,
That's the only reason I've ever engaged with him tbh, once it became clear he's not a genuine eccentric but your garden-variety internet poseur with an ego. I came here to get away from such characters, so the least I can do is squash 'em when they appear. It's for the kids. Image

Obscura: I'm really sorry I shot down your gruff, world-weary game critic shtick and exposed you for a whiny poseur who doesn't know his ass from his elbow, or his Punch Out from his Alien Soldier, but I warned you - I can't abide shitposting in this thread. Get better soon, or leave - either would be preferable!
Obscura wrote:And there's people just up this page a little bit pointing out that the entire first act is just "zip to win". Seriously, why the fuck would anyone play enough of that shit to learn what's beyond it? It doesn't matter if, shortly after the first act, Alien Soldier turns into literally the best sidescroller ever -- there's no reason for any sane person to play through its first area to get there and find out for themselves.
See above. If you're happy playing like shit, be happy with it. Don't pretend you have anything to say about the game's design. Punch Out, lmao.

I also like how instead of acknowledging my posts on competent play, which demands use of the game's entire mechanical suite, you're riding my coattails like some sort of shitposting parasite on a safari in Adept Player Land. Fuck off with that and figure out if the game's any good for yourself, already.
Graphics whore in denial
Like I've said, I can't abide by outright shitposting here. 3: Tell the truth or I'll have to correct the record. Apparently, the humiliation you received last time you tried that (all of a day or so ago!) was so severe, you've blacked out the memory. Want some more? I can still get those links and many besides, just ask.
kitten

Post by kitten »

BIL wrote:That's the only reason I've ever engaged with him tbh, once it became clear he's not a genuine eccentric but your garden-variety internet poseur with an ego. I came here to get away from such characters, so the least I can do is squash 'em when they appear. It's for the kids. Image
a completely fair point, and one that i'd not really considered. that may have actually contributed to why i joined the forum and posted in the thread in the first place. apathy for shitposting has caused me to leave or avoid joining places, entirely.

- - - -

by the way, bil, if i'm playing TWNA it's only fair you play batman: tas (gb)! i am begging for someone else to agree with me on this being a superb game. actually, if someone can just agree with me that it is notably good i'll probably be happy.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'll get around to it. ;3 I say that a lot. 3;
kitten

Post by kitten »

i'm curious: have you played any of the natsume power ranger games for the snes? i posted impressions on one on the last page. i'd be interested to hear what you have to say in how they relate to TWNA in terms of design - there's definitely notable similarity.
Image | Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've not played them (I've caught up on all the posts), not out of any disinterest (I'm sure they're good at the absolute least), but because

i) they're non-JP, which always deters me a bit :oops:

ii) Macaw, the acclaimed frontiersman, pointed out to me long ago that the sidescrolling and 1v1 SNES PR games are pretty much "early beta" versions of TNWA and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, both of which I own and love (the latter's EZ infinites be damned - it's such a fun game, with authentic mecha stomp). I definitely see what he meant from video footage, but haven't felt too compelled.

I'm very interested to hear what you think of TNWA, having played MMPR first - remember, Kamaitachi is EZMODE! Ninja and Kunoichi are where it's at. :cool: One of the most finely-differentiated dynamic duos in any game ever.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Finally made it back here to the tail end of the thread again, and yeah. Seems like at least the last page has been Obscura vs. Squire fluff.
We know you guys' standings with eachother, and I know it can be hard, but try not dragging it on any more than it has to. :P I would hate to see anyone banned even more than I already hate seeing the thread drifting off in this direction.

I guess you guys are being understandably hard on Obscura because of your history with him, and with some of his "funny" opinions that he continues to juggle around here he's kinda asking for it. But honestly I think his perspective has a lot of relevance to it, whether you agree or not (and when it doesn't, you could safely ignore it). The problem here is that you can't just assume a binary solution for game design, whether it's a "bad" or a "good" game.

(and with that we're getting back to discussions about video games:)
I think Obscura's point about Makaimura, which was quickly dismissed, is actually pretty interesting. Even back in the days, when all arcade games were notably hard, these games were famous for being super hard! Are they harder than other arcade games? Maybe a few, but otherwise not really. But people played these games a lot, and most people would consistently die on the second stage, if not the first, and still held them in high regard.
If Makaimura and Daimakaimura were not fun to play when you are shit at them, they would not have become the success they are today. That is absolutely true! I think especially for the first game, which is a ton of fun when you are learning it and constantly improving. But once you've figured out the game, it starts getting tedious. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Makaimura, but it's a highly flawed game and very reliant on repeating specific patterns. Lets not forget that most romsets commonly out there in the arcades were of variations that implied horrible design choices on the final actual stage, as well as random patterns on the Satan fights that made them highly reliant on pure luck.
In general though, this series is (or was?) popular mostly because it appealed to both people who were good at it and people who sucked at it. As stupid as it sounds, I think it's an interesting fact that the C64 version is highly cherished among purveyors of that system despite actually lacking the last two stages of the game (ie. where it actually becomes hard).

Here's the issue though. Just because a good game is appealing to people who aren't able to play it well, that doesn't mean it's a required attribute. It's an asset, just like every potential quality a game can have. I consider Rainbow Islands one of the best arcade games created, but what's keeping it from a perfect 10/10 in my book is that it just isn't fun to play for a beginner. The rainbows will feel awkward and fickle when you haven't yet achieved an intuitive feel for the controls, and that makes the game difficult to get into for a lot of people. This doesn't keep it from being an amazing game once you do have a feel for the controls. I have played the game a lot, and cleared it multiple times, but whether I do make it to the end is never set in stone, which is why the game continues to be fun for me to play.
Conversely you have games that never get difficult at all but are still great. Super Mario Galaxy is another game that is one of the best ever created in my book, but it is super easy. The thing is that playing it is simply super fun straight from the get go, and it never lets up. Would it have been better with some highly challenging stages? Maybe. But not having them doesn't make a dent in its steez.
And then we have a game like Battle Garegga which supposedly has incredible amounts of depth once you reach a certain level of skill and are able to invest your resources into attaining much higher scores. I have read a lot about the game and I think I get a lot of it, but I can only judge this game as a potential masterpiece because I trust the people who deem it as such. As someone who is not good at playing it at all, it is not a particularly enjoyable game to me, but I will never consider it a shitty game. I guess this is where "second hand opinions" do have some value after all.

I guess I could have just skipped my wall of text here and just said "duh, an action game can be good for any reason, you don't need to appeal to both beginners and experts, nor especially towards either".
Last edited by Sumez on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote: i) they're non-JP, which always deters me a bit :oops:
Is this a different game then?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-RANGERS ... 2262322938

I had a short lived impulse to buy the game, but the price is a little steep to me, and then I quickly remembered that I don't like beat'em ups and I already own TNWA.
Last edited by Sumez on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitten

Post by kitten »

a super famicom version of the first mmpr game, the one i was discussing on a previous page, does exist - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... m&_sacat=0

the first mmpr game definitely seems (just from observation) like a very early idea that would later form into TNWA. the second one (the movie game) honestly feels like a slight divergence in the mechanics and somewhat more its own beast.

also, the racing game is a surprisingly decent bit of fun! i've owned this one since i was a kid and have always preferred its battle mode to snes mario kart.
Image | Image
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Man this thread has been derailed to holy hell, I preferred it when it was Bil and some of the other guys talking about video games, without having anyone attack one another. Bil sorry that a perfectly good thread has been ruined man.

Anyways, bought Conquest of the Crystal Palace recently, it's kind of short at 4 stages, but I like what I see of it. Last stage seems to be a maze to get through. I wish I had bought it years ago when it was 5 bucks, paid 14 for it, so it wasn't too bad, though the prices have since come up to about 20 for it recently. Pretty good game from what I could assess of it, hence why I purchased it after ROM-ming it for awhile.
kitten

Post by kitten »

http://www.glitterberri.com/developer-i ... -fujiwara/

sumez, obscura, you will likely find this interesting. interview with fujiwara that touches on makaimura being location tested

(you all can thank sharc, super lurker, for this link)

(not just linking it to me, but commissioning/paying for the translation)
Image | Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Bloodreign wrote: Anyways, bought Conquest of the Crystal Palace recently, it's kind of short at 4 stages, but I like what I see of it. Last stage seems to be a maze to get through. I wish I had bought it years ago when it was 5 bucks, paid 14 for it, so it wasn't too bad, though the prices have since come up to about 20 for it recently. Pretty good game from what I could assess of it, hence why I purchased it after ROM-ming it for awhile.
edit: Why did I think this was a Vic Tokai game!?! You may safely ignore around half of what I write below

Conquest of the Crystal Palace is definitely a hidden gem for the NES, and once of the few titles I would truly award that title - mainly because it has yet not suffered inflated eBay prices, nor been featured by favourite "youtubers" like James Rolfe and his "insufferable friend" or Game Grumps or whatever exists out there (those are literally the only two I know of). Also, this was a completely unknown title to me until recently, which is rare for a NES/Famicom title. Maybe it's more well known in USA, but since it never saw a European release, I never read about it in magazines back in the days, and it is a title I rarely see mentioned in online communities either.

Which is a shame, because I think this might actually be Vic Tokai's most interesting output. More so than the rather traditional MAGICAL FLYING TURBO HAT ADVENTURE, and definitely more playable their early outputs such as Psycho Fox or the NES fan favourite Clash at Demonhead. Despite their trademark floaty controls, Crystal Palace aka Matendouji is definitely a unique game that I think is worth playing. And yeah, the maze at the end kinda sucks.

Considering it's an NTSC exclusive, and both the US and Jap versions have their own unique attributes that make either one worth acquiring, it is only a question of time before the game starts fetching sky high eBay prices. :3
Last edited by Sumez on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:
BIL wrote: i) they're non-JP, which always deters me a bit :oops:
Is this a different game then?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-RANGERS ... 2262322938

I had a short lived impulse to buy the game, but the price is a little steep to me, and then I quickly remembered that I don't like beat'em ups and I already own TNWA.
kitten wrote:a super famicom version of the first mmpr game, the one i was discussing on a previous page, does exist - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... m&_sacat=0
Aww sheeit! :o I had no idea, thanks for the tip you two. Will have to give it a look now. I am a shameless collector quickly deterred if I can't get goodies in my region of choice. :wink:
Bloodreign wrote:Bil sorry that a perfectly good thread has been ruined man.
Eh, worth it. ;3 It's a large and storied entity at this point, and it's not the first hoedown we've had. Hell, I wish the explosive sequel to Edmond The Mad, which took place in Little Annoyed Hell, had been here too.

In all seriousness, it has to be this way unfortunately. As much of a mess as charlatans like Obscura tend to leave behind when someone has the temerity to question their posturing, the alternative of giving some shitposting scrub free reign over the thread is unacceptable.
Last edited by BIL on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura wrote:Funny; that also happens to be a handy list of people that I pretty much consider to be a joke. Aspie with a Dakimakura, Graphics whore in denial, Blinge, and Eurogamer hipster.
This made me lol out loud (yes.)

Not worth a description! Cast from the world of light, let his tag become a curse, the forbidden word. There shall be no insult worse than the name Blinge. Your tongues shall rot to even speak the name!

Well that's a shame, you were just starting to be friendly to me too.

Despite things that annoy me about Obfuscura, like absolute judgement on entire developers, everyone else must be wrong only he is right etc, things I don't really care enough about to argue with..
Forum amusement comes in many colours.
I usually don't see real malice in his posts.

This douche, on the other hand
Cee wrote: You're all of bunch of jokers tbh who contribute to my tired scroll finger on a regular basis, gaming communities and manbabies i swear.
Hahahah. My dear cee you enn tee.
I've only ever seen ONE post from you that isn't an attack or otherwise designed to troll. You and your ilk accuse people of virtue signalling, yet it's something you always do. Every post is an attempt to elevate yourself above others. "you guys are all manbabies HURR. not like me I'M A GROWN UP. Behold my manly virtue "

You must bust a nut when you see an opening to enter a thread with some miserable cheap shot. What's the point.
Why the rage bro, I bet you're nowhere near as confrontational IRL. Give that scroll finger a rest.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
kitten

Post by kitten »

Sumez wrote:Considering it's an NTSC exclusive, and both the US and Jap versions have their own unique attributes that make either one worth acquiring, it is only a question of time before the game starts fetching sky high eBay prices. :3
i own a jp version of this game, but i have not played it (it's one of like... five? fc games i own a box for). acquired a complete version in a very large bundle of famicom games i purchased from a friend. i had assumed for some reason the language barrier would make this tough for me to play, is that not true? it's one of very few fc games i own that i still haven't gotten around to playing at all (it was purchased probably about half a year ago at this point). also, is the nes version any better?
Image | Image
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Obscura wrote:Eurogamer hipster
So that's a summary of my efforts in trying to bring a little hardcore gaming to the mainstream is it?

I'm not your enemy; I provided a detailed response to your flawed criticism. But I can be your enemy if you like. It's been a while since I cracked my knuckles over this fucking keyboard in the righteous cause of abusing internet retards.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die