OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RaphM

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by RaphM »

Got no NES, but my SNES definitely works with 5x.

* 1chip with a THS7374 based RGB bypass
* As mentioned it _never_ works initially, but most of the time 1x of the mentioned "cycle trick" is enough to get an image (in rare cases I have to perform it multiple times)

Playing A Link to the Past in glorious 5x right now :).
nissling

Post by nissling »

Have anyone tried the OSSC along with a classic Macintosh desktop (II, LC, Quadra etc)? If so, what were the results? I'll get an LC II next week but haven't got have the right accessories just yet.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

bobrocks95 wrote:
RaphM wrote:I got my OSSC this weekend and just finished setting everything up / digging through the settings etc... .
I was especially hyped about the line5x mode, finally got it to work and wanted to share some insights:

* My TV: Sony kdl55w755 (which is known for low input lag in game mode, 1080p screen), no other devices but a gscartsw_lite in the chain
* "Allow TVP HPLL2x" set to off

Initially 5x mode was not recognized, but with the above setting I was able to "trick" my TV into accepting the mode by switching between the "Line5x modes":
Usually a single "Generic 4:3" -> "320x240 optim." -> "256x240 optim" -> "Generic 4:3" cycle is enough and the TV will suddenly accept the image (and it also never dropped again, even on console resets).
Performing this trick is bit annoying though, maybe somebody got some advanced scaling settings that could help s.t. the output is accepted initially?

But anyway, I am super happy with the OSSC and am now connecting all my 240p consoles through it.
The Framemeister is still used for Shenanigans like 7x zooming into the Super Gameboy and interlaced sources (which is basically only my PS2), but for all other uses the super low input lag (I'm reaching ~1 frame results in the manual lag test of the 240p test suite) and perfect color processing of the OSSC make it my new #1 choice :).
This is super interesting since I think it's the first time the low-lag Sonys have been proven to work (at least to some degree) on a setting above 2x?

I'm sure 480px2 remains broken, but for your x5 setup do the NES/SNES work?
Color me interested as well. My KDL50W800B doesn't do anything above x2 when I tested. I'll have to give this a shot!
RaphM

Post by RaphM »

Wow, I didn't even know getting the OSSC to play together with a sony kdl was such a big thing.

Just for completeness - 2x, 3x and 4x for 240p work without any problems on my kdl55w755, and 5x works consistently when performing the described trick.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

'KDL' only points a category of Full-HD TVs, it's the 'W' series (end2013~2014~early2015) like your KDL55W755 that don't like the OSSC beyond 2x, not the Sony 'KDL' in general. With older or newer Sony series the compatibility will be different.

I have yet to try this on my W6 but if the trick is confirmed working on all Full-HD 'W' sets, you will become the hero of many people here and in other communities. :mrgreen:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I may have been erroneously thinking that the W755 was the European equivalent of the US/Canadian W700B, which was the last of the super low-lag sets.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I see what you mean, RaphM's model is actually the KDL55W755C, of the 2015 series without the low lag and IIRC also different compatibility.

Damn that was too good to be true.

I'll still try the trick another time though, whatever. :p
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Xyga wrote:I see what you mean, RaphM's model is actually the KDL55W755C, of the 2015 series without the low lag and IIRC also different compatibility.

Damn that was too good to be true.

I'll still try the trick another time though, whatever. :p
Yeah the C series was when they switched to Android for the OS, right? Lag isn't bad, but I think it's in like the 30ms range, so nowhere near the great 2014 lineup.

Hey maybe the x5 trick will still work, who knows?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Blair

Post by Blair »

here are some sony PS2+OSSC (and GC+OSSC for GBI, screen filled with edge green's zoom) all shots with 480p 2x (1440x960p) some with scanlines and some without.

display: Asus VW246h

(full gallery here = https://imgur.com/a/Y8lmg)

Tekken 4, native 480p mode+OSSC 2x

Metal Gear Solid 3, forced 480p GSM+OSSC 2x

Gun Star Superheroes, GBI 480p mode+OSSC 2x

BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Are you adding any softening to the image with the DVDO?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Blair

Post by Blair »

BuckoA51 wrote:Are you adding any softening to the image with the DVDO?
Nope, all my EE/DE settings are at 0. (some metal gear shots are a little soft because the game uses a depth of field effect and sometimes motion blur)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Hmm, I wonder why everything I tried on the Edge at 480p Line x2 looked so much more over-sharpened...

Anyway, just a quick cheeky post to say OSSC are in-stock now and shipping in 1-2 days. No queues, no pre-orders, just pay and get your unit. https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... converter/
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Does anyone know the advanced settings for SNES Mini for 4x and 5x mode when running directly to a LG OLED (C6)?

3x is perfectly stable but 4x loses picture every now and then, 5x is losing picture every couple of seconds or so.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

In the past few weeks I've been testing the OSSC with a few upscalers assuming that it would perform a pretty much lossless digitization, but now that I've compared the OSSC+CII combo to a direct CII hook-up I'm not 100% sure anymore. Have a look at the following:

PS2 480p Component out -> OSSC passthrough -> CII 1080p: http://image.ibb.co/dwvLXb/480_hdmi_OSSC.jpg
PS2 480p Component out -> CII 1080p: http://image.ibb.co/dv4QyG/480p_YPb_Pr_direct.jpg

Leaving aside the ridiculous brightness level of direct CII processing (which can of course be fine-tuned), bypassing the OSSC results in a clearly sharper picture imho. I tried changing the OSSC LPF settings but it didn't make a difference. The OSSC was set to generic sampling - maybe I should give optimized sampling a try? Or would it just be a matter of the CII performing digitization a tiny bit better?
dadjumper

Post by dadjumper »

Has anyone else had confirmed success with this cycle trick on a Sony W series TV?
I'm waiting for my OSSC in the mail right now and I have a 40W730C. I'm hopeful I can get something other than 2x out of it. Will post and confirm when it arrives.
I assume this trick works for 3x and 4x as well?
xga

Post by xga »

God damn the OSSC is freaking incredible! I'm currently playing the Saturn on a 65" LG C7 OLED (set to game mode) in x5 mode and it's almost like a religious experience! I kinda feel dirty in saying this, but I (almost) feel that I could forego my RGB monitors and BVM's with this device and an OLED TV. Whilst the usability could use some work (is there an overlay available for the remote? Hopefully marqs can squeeze in a menu system at some point), the end result is nothing short of spectacular.

Thanks marqs and Matt for providing an amazing piece of kit! I'm now a believer!
Blair

Post by Blair »

BuckoA51 wrote:Hmm, I wonder why everything I tried on the Edge at 480p Line x2 looked so much more over-sharpened...

Anyway, just a quick cheeky post to say OSSC are in-stock now and shipping in 1-2 days. No queues, no pre-orders, just pay and get your unit. https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... converter/
hmm, I do remember you posting a screenshot somewhere of the 240p test in 480p mode with OSSC line 2x enabled, was that generated by a Dreamcast? (did you account for the resolution weirdness, with the DTV setting?) I'll take a few more shots, and if I get a chance some direct captures. the only real difficulties I've noticed is that some games with odd internal resolutions can look weird. Virtua fighter 4 at 480i 4x can look a little bit rough (but testing the up sample 2x option makes it look a bit more natural, especially with added alternating scanlines). the only time I really use DVDO's DE/EE + OSSC is usually the 3X modes.

in my gallery page, you can see the Tekken 4 gameplay screenshots with the scanline close-ups, I also used up-sample 2X mode for those shots as I was having trouble getting the scanlines to look even without it. but everything else was with the normal line doubling mode.

although, for PS2 games that support 480p native output, I would urge video processor owners to try a forced 1080p GSM output (once progressive mode is enabled of course), as that can look even cleaner than a normal upscale of 480p or 960p. (so far I've tested Star Ocean, and Destroy All Humans with that particular combo+OSSC and I think it looks pretty good, as long as you correct the aspect ratio)
Xer Xian wrote: Leaving aside the ridiculous brightness level of direct CII processing (which can of course be fine-tuned), bypassing the OSSC results in a clearly sharper picture imho. I tried changing the OSSC LPF settings but it didn't make a difference. The OSSC was set to generic sampling - maybe I should give optimized sampling a try? Or would it just be a matter of the CII performing digitization a tiny bit better?
interesting, have you ruled out the possibility that the CII processes analog component differently than digital full range HDMI? (are the sharpness setting neutral for both tested inputs?) I wonder if it would be worth comparing one of the more widely used component to HDMI transcoder's, just to see what results you would get. also, did you test RGB+OSSC as well as component on that same HDMI connection? I remember older component to RGB conversion devices losing sharpness because of difficulty with the color conversion process.
xga wrote:God damn the OSSC is freaking incredible! I'm currently playing the Saturn on a 65" LG C7 OLED (set to game mode) in x5 mode and it's almost like a religious experience! I kinda feel dirty in saying this, but I (almost) feel that I could forego my RGB monitors and BVM's with this device and an OLED TV. Whilst the usability could use some work (is there an overlay available for the remote? Hopefully marqs can squeeze in a menu system at some point), the end result is nothing short of spectacular.

Thanks marqs and Matt for providing an amazing piece of kit! I'm now a believer!
well, that is kind of point of this device. using a modern display of high enough quality you can theoretically get a similar or better experience than a Pro or Pro-sumer grade CRT from the past. if OLEDs continue to evolve then that would be a likely possibility. and it's not like they ever made 65 inch+ BVM monitors (they physically couldn't, from what I understand).
RaphM

Post by RaphM »

dadjumper wrote:Has anyone else had confirmed success with this cycle trick on a Sony W series TV?
I'm waiting for my OSSC in the mail right now and I have a 40W730C. I'm hopeful I can get something other than 2x out of it. Will post and confirm when it arrives.
My kdl55w755C has no problem with 2x-4x, so no "trick" needed there (I find it a bit funny this methodology seems to now be officially called "the trick" ;) ).

As some pointed out that model is a 2015 one running on Android (mind the "C", so its not super low-lag like the 2014s and may have different compatibility - since I found no definitive measurements online I'm getting a Leo Bodnar device as well as the parts for the OSSC DIY lag test to measure my display and will post the results here).
dadjumper

Post by dadjumper »

RaphM wrote:
dadjumper wrote:Has anyone else had confirmed success with this cycle trick on a Sony W series TV?
My kdl55w755C has no problem with 2x-4x, so no "trick" needed there (I find it a bit funny this methodology seems to now be officially called "the trick" ;) ).

As some pointed out that model is a 2015 one running on Android (mind the "C", so its not super low-lag like the 2014s and may have different compatibility - since I found no definitive measurements online I'm getting a Leo Bodnar device as well as the parts for the OSSC DIY lag test to measure my display and will post the results here).
Oh, that's interesting about 3x and 4x! Thanks.
Also dang I didn't realise the C models weren't low lag, I kinda bought this TV for the low lag. Woops.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

RaphM wrote:I'm getting a Leo Bodnar device as well as the parts for the OSSC DIY lag test to measure my display and will post the results here).
Why waste money on an expensive LB now ? You have the OSSC you don't need one.

(unless because the LB works on batteries you plan to go on a journey measuring lag in shops and run like a true rebel)

EDIT: btw can the OSSC work on an external battery pack ? :D
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

Anyone else have a Datapath VisionRGB-E1S capture card? I cannot get a signal at all with my SNES going through my OSSC in 5x 1920 x 1080. I'm able to get 5x 1920 x 1080 into my monitor just fine though. I'm using the latest Vision drivers, tried different pcie slot, reinstalled the drivers, tried different settings through Vision software. I'm all out of ideas and was hoping someone here could help.
RaphM

Post by RaphM »

Xyga wrote:
RaphM wrote:I'm getting a Leo Bodnar device as well as the parts for the OSSC DIY lag test to measure my display and will post the results here).
Why waste money on an expensive LB now ? You have the OSSC you don't need one.

(unless because the LB works on batteries you plan to go on a journey measuring lag in shops and run like a true rebel)
I'm obsessive with taking measurements (for example I got a cheap oscilloscope to verify the sync signal of all my consoles), so of course I also want to get a comparison between LB and the OSSC DIY solution.

And the LB may come in handy for measuring friends TVs etc... - its my hobby, so it feels psychologically OK for me to spend more money than actually needed :).
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

is there an overlay available for the remote?
I meant to mention in the latest newsletter, there's one in the works.
Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm »

If I am going to be assigning my OSSC to one of my Extron Crosspoint outputs, is there anything I should be aware of or anticipate on the Extron side of things? Do the dip switches in the back have an impact?
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

Is this the overlay?

citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I like that overlay
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

^ +1
Nrg

Post by Nrg »

Tapeworm wrote:If I am going to be assigning my OSSC to one of my Extron Crosspoint outputs, is there anything I should be aware of or anticipate on the Extron side of things? Do the dip switches in the back have an impact?
Well you should know Extron Crosspoint BNC outputs are TTL level, which is too high voltage level for OSSC (or any device) SCART input! You need to add extra resistor (470 Ohm) to the SYNC signal(s) to lower them to acceptable SCART levels to protect the OSSC SCART input.

More info: https://www.snailtoothgaming.com/articl ... nc-output/
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Xer Xian wrote: maybe I should give optimized sampling a try? Or would it just be a matter of the CII performing digitization a tiny bit better?
Optim modes give a sharper image on my Panasonic Plasma. Generic modes don't require as much messing about which the sampling settings though, so I just stick with them.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Blair wrote:interesting, have you ruled out the possibility that the CII processes analog component differently than digital full range HDMI? (are the sharpness setting neutral for both tested inputs?)
Well I haven't ruled that out, but I'd certainly be surprised to learn that the CII has a sharper processing on analog inputs vs. digital.. I'm confident that sharpness was set to 0 (neutral) on both inputs, but I'll check that out again to be sure.

I have tried to capture the unscaled 480p output from the OSSC, but unfortunately my capture device is unusable on native low-res content (not enough leeway for the crappy compression to go unnoticed) and it doesn't like 960p either, so I'm unable to get to the bottom of this.
bonzo.bits wrote:Optim modes give a sharper image on my Panasonic Plasma. Generic modes don't require as much messing about which the sampling settings though, so I just stick with them.
Thanks, I really need to mess with the optim modes and adv.timings setting someday. Hopefully that'll give a little extra kick to the (already great) picture quality. In the meanwhile, if other members have a similar - or different - experience with the OSSC+CII combo, please share it here or PM me! Thanks :)