Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
soprano1

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by soprano1 »

Pit And The Pendulum (1961)
Oh, this one had great performances, and a nice story too. Usual great scenery and wardrobes, with good colour usage.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Just saw the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie that Adult Swim was showing for the time change.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that it had an actual plot! It's still Adult Swim, so it's not anything super fantastic, but it managed to keep me engaged through the whole way through when I initially intended to stop partway through.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Night Moves (1975) - Arthur Penn (re-watch)

Great film. Haven't seen it in decades. Saw it first in my pre-teen years and it made a strong impression (Jesus! Were we much more "grown up" back then, or what? :shock: )
This time around, I am strongly taken with Gene Hackman's brilliance. He has Huge on screen presence here, tempered by a strong introspective quality to his performance.
Perfect for the dark waters his character finds himself (sinking?) in. "Night moves" indeed.

There are fine performances all round (except perhaps, James Woods overacting)
Melanie Griffith's archetypal "Jail-bait" role . . . Merciful Christ! Still sets the standard, as far as I'm concerned.

Watching this again is overwhelmingly buffering my confirmation bias that 70's film was the apex in cinema.
Then again, I have a strong feeling that "modern" society in general, peaked in the 70's, so I'm hopelessly biased :wink:

Highly recommended.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Code of Silence
Found myself enjoying the soundtrack a lot on this rewatch. A good police movie in general, not just a good Chuck Norris movie. Aside from a couple of shots Chuck takes in the movie, it is pretty believable. I'd love to kill the mob too!
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Soylent Green (1973)
Dystopian future movie with Charlton Heston. The story was very engaging, as well as the plot twist, but the ending seemed quite abrupt, as to suggest that despite Thorn telling the truth about the food Soylent Green to his captain, things won't change at all. Pretty bleak sceneries and moments, worth a watch.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The Rocketeer (1991)
Hmm, decent to good adventure/action movie. The sets and wardrobe, as well as the delicious Art Deco motifs, look amazing.
I last watched this movie on TV like 20 years ago or something, now that i think of it. Good to watch with Dick Tracy, eh. :)
EDIT: I would like to thank Disney for casting Jennifer Connoly's boobs. They did some fine acting. :lol:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Doctor Zhivago (1965)
God, 3 and half hours... Great story and sceneries, though. An interesting story indeed.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I finally got around to watching Julia Ducournau's Raw from last year. So fucking excited to see what she will do next. Highly recommend.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Anyone from the UK can recommend me a Carry On movie? :P
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

soprano1 wrote:Anyone from the UK can recommend me a Carry On movie? :P
Camping

up the khyber

Dick
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BIL

Post by BIL »

soprano1 wrote:Anyone from the UK can recommend me a Carry On movie? :P
Carry On Behind is the apotheosis of the series. :wink: Relentless yet calculating lowbrow - just when you've recovered your dignity, another ghastly dick joke or smarting pratfall or pandering boob shot is unleashed. Lovable like a good punk LP or ultra low-budget STG.
neorichieb1971 wrote:Camping
Genuinely excellent scriptwriting and performance with the "farmer's daughter" bit. :lol:
Spoiler
"I'll even pay for it this time!" *jaw drops* "I'll KILL YER!!!"
Last edited by BIL on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Soprano1 I think it's really good that you watch the good old stuff. So many twenty somethings I meet these days won't go near anything older than 5 years.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Skykid wrote:Soprano1 I think it's really good that you watch the good old stuff. So many twenty somethings I meet these days won't go near anything older than 5 years.
Ha ha, I'm 32. But yeah, i know what you mean.
Thanks for the replies, I'll check them out. But now I got two movies on the queue, a certain 1984 cop movie and a legendary 1963 epic movie.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Spoiler
:lol: :lol: :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Skykid wrote:Soprano1 I think it's really good that you watch the good old stuff. So many twenty somethings I meet these days won't go near anything older than 5 years.
I like older movies too. Last movies I watched were Little Caesar (good stuff. Edward G. Robinson was excellent in that movie) and Charlie Chan at the Opera (I liked Boris Karloff quite a bit in this one and love the chan-isms). I'm watching Charlie Chan at the Circus now. I am actually older than soprano 1, though. I'm 38.

I have a soft spot for animation, as well. Too bad most current networks don't seem to give a hoot about older cartoons and animated films. TCM did have a nice surprise with the Puppetoon Movie, though.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BrianC wrote:I have a soft spot for animation, as well.
Some weeks ago I watched a bunch of banned cartoons from the late 30's and 40's. Banned because of the racist stereotypes, or being war propaganda.
The Fleischer(?) Superman cartoon has some pretty good animation.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote:
BrianC wrote:I have a soft spot for animation, as well.
Some weeks ago I watched a bunch of banned cartoons from the late 30's and 40's. Banned because of the racist stereotypes, or being war propaganda.
The Fleischer(?) Superman cartoon has some pretty good animation.
cool. I have the WB set of the Fleischer Superman cartoon. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Those cartoons were a huge influence on later animation like Laputa: Castle in the Sky, as well. I also watched some Mr. Magoo theatrical shorts recently. Good stuff.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Paddington 2. 5/5

Beautiful and warm.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)
Another 3 and a half hour movie, but boy what a thrill! If only I was more familiar with half these comedians, though, I bet I would appreciate it more. Greed makes for a funny ass movie. :lol:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

soprano1 wrote:It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)
Another 3 and a half hour movie, but boy what a thrill! If only I was more familiar with half these comedians, though, I bet I would appreciate it more. Greed makes for a funny ass movie. :lol:

Last time I watched this was with the wife. We only had a room so the bed and TV were opposite each other. That last scene with the fire truck and ladders had my wife crying, her legs were literally up in the air.

Find the W.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Carry On Behind (1975)
:shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Awesome comedy, indeed. And hey, the undertaker Monsieur Alphonse from Allo Allo is here, cool!
Thanks BIL. I'll try to find Carry On Camping now.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Knew you'd recognise its quality - thing's a whirring dynamo of vintage seaside postcard bawdery. :mrgreen:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BIL wrote:Knew you'd recognise its quality - thing's a whirring dynamo of vintage seaside postcard bawdery. :mrgreen:
"Show me yer knickers!" :lol:
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Thor Ragnarok: ***1/2

Basically a straight-up popcorn movie, devoid of any real substance, but that's not what you're there for anyway. Most of the really funny parts rely on having seen earlier MCU movies to set up the joke (let's just say that Loki was less than thrilled to see the Hulk again) but overall it is one of the better of the "light" Marvel movies (a general category where I would put stuff like Thor, GotG and Ant Man, where stuff like the Iron Man and Captain America films would be more drama oriented) although I think I liked the recent Guardians movie a bit better.
Spoiler
Oh, and it looks like Yondu is going to have some tough competition for the "Best Mass-killing of low-level bad guys set to a 70s rock music montage"
award this year.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Carry On Camping (1969)
O gods, I loved this one too. :lol: :lol:
Splendid, splendid!
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Unfortunately a lot of the humor in this one gets lost on modern audiences. Some parts are timeless (I don't think anyone has come up with anything that compares to Jonathan Winters destroying a gas station with his bare hands,) but most people these days will have little to no idea who any of these people are. That said, I'm convinced that the entire 3 hour movie was basically just one big long setup for the final cheap gag at the end.
Last edited by Vexorg on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Which version was it? I assume you were watching the Criterion Set. Damn, that movie will cheer anyone up on a bad day. If not, they have no good sense of humor. I love how the cars go so much faster than the WWI airplane that nearly falls apart whenever they move at all.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I rented the it's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World DVD from Netflix a long time ago and liked it quite a bit. I ordered the criterion Blu-ray from Barnes and Noble along with the DVD of The Thief of Bagdad (1940). The latter doesn't have a US Blu-ray yet, but at least it qualified for the extra 15 percent off coupon.

I knew of a few of the comedians in the movie, but prior to that movie the only other thing I seen with Jimmy Durante was Frosty the Snowman. Too bad the 3 stooges weren't in their prime then, though I still enjoyed the cameo. That reminds me, on the New Scooby Doo Movies set, the stooges were incorrectly listed as Moe, Larry, and Curly, despite the series having Curly Joe's likeness, not Curly's (and all three were voiced by impersonators).
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

lilmanjs wrote:
Which version was it? I assume you were watching the Criterion Set. Damn, that movie will cheer anyone up on a bad day. If not, they have no good sense of humor. I love how the cars go so much faster than the WWI airplane that nearly falls apart whenever they move at all.
Yes, Criterion extended version.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Child´s Play 1+2:
I like Chucky. The first one was slightly better, but the ending of part 2 was awesome.
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo