Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Mischief Maker

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by Mischief Maker »

Zen wrote:Does he look like he has time for people who choose to become self harming, emo fuckwits?
actual picture of Jesus/Supes

ain't nobody got time for that shit! :lol:
Spoken like a true Pharisee.
James 15:1 wrote:Then [Jesus] drew near unto Him all the publicans and sinners to hear Him.

2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, “This man receiveth sinners and eateth with them.”
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Zen wrote:Does he look like he has time for people who choose to become self harming, emo fuckwits?
actual picture of Jesus/Supes

ain't nobody got time for that shit! :lol:
Spoken like a true Pharisee.
James 15:1 wrote:Then [Jesus] drew near unto Him all the publicans and sinners to hear Him.

2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, “This man receiveth sinners and eateth with them.”
Spoken like a man wantonly preparing a case for plausible deniability.

1 John 2:21
“I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.”
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Batman not killing people is to make the franchise kid friendly, thereby increasing revenue.

There's really no reason or justification for it beyond that.

Objectively Batman is worse than the Joker. How many times have we been on this merry go round:

1. Joker goes on killing spree.
2. Batman stops him.
3. Joker is incarcerated in the Arkham asylum.
4. Joker easily escapes Arkham asylum.
5. Joker goes on killing spree.

Once or twice, ok fine. But by the twelfth time or so and the third or fourth dead sidekick, you'd think Bats would perform a little snip-snap on the clown's neck and save hundreds of thousands of lives.

An essay could be pinned on how unhealthy this kind of media is (in the same vein as Family Matters)... or it's just a simple franchise for kids who want to see a world where all the problems of the world can be solved by a cosplaying billionaire punching someone in the face.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Gaining insight via the different/enhanced/altered perception of archetypes, is always healthy. "The Gods" help us think outside the box.
The problems arise when, as you say, we handle these archetypes dishonestly.

We all know that madman Wayne killed The Joker, first time round.
Slowly. With serene calm, he crushed his neck until his Puddin's eyes went . . . Image

That sort of thing. You know, catharsis.

I don't know about anybody else but I feel better already :lol:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Hook (1991)
When Spielberg did some genius work, he went all out. Not the first time I saw this, but I surely appreciate the finer stuff from the movie like the beautiful sets and wardrobes. Williams/Hoffman/Hoskins were superb here.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Not only will I say Superman is more interesting than Batman, The Punisher is more interesting than Batman (no rule against killing and all the other superheroes are horrified by the results).

Bringing this conversation back to movies, Punisher: Warzone is a better antihero movie than Deadpool.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

BryanM wrote:Are there even any DC characters the masses likes outside of Batman?
Flash and Arrow?
BryanM wrote:You know what comic has completely fallen off a cliff since its hey-day in the 60's? Superman. More interesting stuff has been done using that setup in things like Invincible and Irredeemable (and I guess that one plot in Powers). He's just not an interesting character these days, just a primordial archetype. (I'd argue he's not a good character in any time period, weirdos back then just liked to revel in USian hegemony I guess.)

When's the last time Mickey Mouse ever starred in a Disney film? Sometimes, characters just die.
What's odd is that people try to make the case for Superman being an interesting character, they only ever pull out titles written in the last twenty or so years, which is odd given the character's lengthy history. It's not like there weren't good stories before then - remember that All-Star Superman was intended as homage.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

At times I consider going back and watching some episodes of Lois and Clark to see if it's as decent as I remember it, or if I was just a dumb kid trapped in the 90's with nothing better to watch. But... like Bruce Campbell said, tv shows age faster than old fish.
Hook
I dunno why so many people don't seem to like this one.
Mischief Maker wrote:(no rule against killing and all the other superheroes are horrified by the results).
Gasp. Are you suggesting superheroes spare calamity level murderers in order to keep themselves in business?

An inherently corrupt incentive structure they've got, there.
they only ever pull out titles written in the last twenty or so years, which is odd given the character's lengthy history. It's not like there weren't good stories before then
That's just it - if he has longevity and relevance to the world today, the stories left for him to do should be able to stand on their own. Everything that can be done has already been done with him.

Of course good stories can be written about bad characters. I'm sure there are intricate Pokémon fan novels out there where one can get super invested in one animal abuser's quest to be the very best, and shed a tear as he wins the day in the memory of his beloved dead pikachu that he never bothered giving a name to.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Zen wrote: Sweet, my arse!
Does he look like he has time for people who choose to become self harming, emo fuckwits?
Clinical depression is not a choice.

And even if that was not the case in that panel, it is still an act of saving someone. Which is, again, what the fantasy is about.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mischief Maker wrote:Not only will I say Superman is more interesting than Batman, The Punisher is more interesting than Batman (no rule against killing and all the other superheroes are horrified by the results).
I was disappointed with the Marvel Civil War comic overall, but the Punisher's part in that along with the reaction of the other heroes was priceless.
soprano1 wrote:Hook (1991)
When Spielberg did some genius work, he went all out. Not the first time I saw this, but I surely appreciate the finer stuff from the movie like the beautiful sets and wardrobes. Williams/Hoffman/Hoskins were superb here.
I like that movie quite a bit too. I was a huge fan of Robin Williams growing up. Definitely a much better movie than Pan (which isn't saying much, but even 100 Pans wouldn't come close to Hook).
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Got around to seeing Creed yesterday. It's a worthy installment to the Rocky series. It felt very much like the first Rocky movie, or the Karate Kid. My favorite parts by far is the fight scene done in one take, as well as the final fight with Conlan. The fight scene done in one take felt like it could have been a fighting game, or a match in Punch-Out. And I also like before every fight, we see Adonis's opponent's stats, it's especially awesome with Conlan's intro in the climax.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Zen, all your complaints about Superman trying to save people who can't be saved are addressed by the character of Lex Luthor.

People focus too much on the powers in superhero stories, it's the character interactions that I find interesting.

Of course Superman could end Lex Luthor in a heartbeat. But he doesn't do it because 1) Lex is a childhood friend from his hometown (and one of Superman's defining characteristics is that he's a Kansas farmboy at heart, not an alien god), and 2) Lex's genius could usher in a new golden age for humanity if he'd stop squandering it on petty crime, so Superman is always looking for opportunities to get him to turn to the good.

While the Joker is the dictionary definition of "cartoonishly evil," Lex Luthor is totally relatable. He's worked hard for his accomplishments, mental and physical, and he's been outdone at them all by the naturally gifted Superman his entire life. Then Superman turns around and starts preaching at Lex, telling him what to do, even though he's never had to work for anything in his life. Who hasn't felt the urge to defy a sanctimonious authority figure just for the sake of defiance in similar straits? Another great thing that All Star Superman captured:
Spoiler

My one complaint about All-Star Superman the comic is that it shows nothing of Luthor's reaction to Superman's apparent death.

I like the change in the cartoon that it's Luthor who redeems himself (independently) by using his singular genius to figure out how to clone a new Superman, not Supes himself.
Another Superman story I love is Red Son, in part because the personalities of Superman and Lex Luthor are identical, but circumstances flip their position as hero and villain in the story.
Spoiler
And in this story Superman does succeed in making Luthor usher in a scientific golden age by letting Luthor think he'd destroyed him and giving up on trying to influence him entirely.

Plus Superman as a far-future human (a literal "man of tomorrow") is so much cooler than him being from a race of overpowered aliens.

Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Clinical depression is not a choice.

And even if that was not the case in that panel, it is still an act of saving someone. Which is, again, what the fantasy is about.
Whoa! Slow down there S.G, who said anything about clinical depression? Not me.
Of course its not a choice.
I clearly referred to cutters, posers and the lost child of Tim Burton in the panel there. You know, emotional masturbaters.

The real thing does not telegraph like that.

You intentionally missing the humour in those posts, buddy?

Just in case, one more time, just for you;
Spoiler

Anyway! back on topic;
Le Samouraï (1967) - Jean-Pierre Melville

Having re-watched Ghost Dog recently, I though it only proper revisit the source.
What a beauty!
The only regret, is that we never got to see the final shot of Delon, that Melville wanted. It would have been perfect. Oh, well.

Also, how ridiculously good looking is Alain Delon in this film and did he father JCVD? 8)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Zen wrote:Le Samouraï (1967) - Jean-Pierre Melville

Having re-watched Ghost Dog recently, I though it only proper revisit the source.
What a beauty!
The only regret, is that we never got to see the final shot of Delon, that Melville wanted. It would have been perfect. Oh, well.
Thanks for the tip!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Re. Mischief Maker

Interesting.
Replace the word "can't" with "deserve", in your first sentence though and you will be closer to what I was saying.

Having said that, I fucking love Lex.
He is luciferian man, to Superman's monomaniacal messiah ego. Long may he spit in the face of the Gods.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Zen wrote:Re. Mischief Maker

Interesting.
Replace the word "can't" with "deserve", in your first sentence though and you will be closer to what I was saying.
You just made that determination because you were offended by her outfit, Bruno.

Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Zen wrote:Re. Mischief Maker

Interesting.
You just made that determination because you were offended by her outfit, Bruno.
Well!
Perhaps your onto something there.
Only a man in a red and blue hobo suit, could empathise with such a hideous ensemble.
That cape, darling . . . no, no, no ,no

All I will say, is that she is lucky miss Mode did not find her first;

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Zen wrote: The real thing does not telegraph like that.
True, but it's a comic. A visual medium. You have to be a bit blunt with visuals sometimes in order to telegraph to the audience. The stereotypical goth attire + the mention of doctor/therapist was just how the comic chose to make the subject of depression clear within the very limited span of a single page.

Again, not that it would change much even if it wasn't the case.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Batman VS Two-Face (2017)
Sequel to Return of the Caped Crusaders. Harvey Dent is voiced by William Shatner. Pretty campy and fun, like Batman '66. This seems to be Adam West's last role before he passed away. :(

Tombstone (1993)
Hot damn, what a cast. :) A few mushy moments, but it's a fine western. The Cowboys gang can't aim for shit, though. :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Has anyone seen Vanishing Point (1971)?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Stevens wrote:Has anyone seen Vanishing Point (1971)?
Yeah, it rules. If you dig road movies then it's top tier. It's really got that trippy early 70's vibe and all about drugs and existentialism, maaan.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Anyone can recommend the director's cut of Donnie Darko ?

Just learned about it and apparently it's heavily edited. I've enjoyed the original, so I wonder if hat DC is worth or if there's a risk it'll ruin my appreciation of the film.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Xyga wrote:Anyone can recommend the director's cut of Donnie Darko ?

Just learned about it and apparently it's heavily edited. I've enjoyed the original, so I wonder if hat DC is worth or if there's a risk it'll ruin my appreciation of the film.
Glad you brought that fact here, I was thinking of watching that soon. I'm sorry I can't help you, though.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

drauch wrote:
Yeah, it rules. If you dig road movies then it's top tier. It's really got that trippy early 70's vibe and all about drugs and existentialism, maaan.
Thanks! Was introduced to it from Audioslave's "Show Me How to Live". Guessed it was a movie and a quick search confirmed what I suspected.

Now to get my hands on it:D
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

drauch wrote:
Yeah, I dig Vanishing Point, it's groovy.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote:Unforgiven (1992)
Never heard about this western, liked it. Everyone's too old, dumb, or have some faults, making them more human and believable.
I still need to watch that. I got it in a two pack with The Outlaw Josey Wales.

I watched some Cary Grant movies recently (including North by Northwest and To Catch a Thief) and enjoyed them quite a bit. I liked his interaction with Grace Kelly in To Catch a Thief and enjoyed his banter in His Girl Friday. I just ordered Charade (not the Criterion, but I heard the current Blu-ray is about even in quality and has digital with it) and plan to watch it. It sounds like something I'll enjoy.

I also watched Sullivan's Travels and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and enjoyed them both quite a bit, the latter for Thanksgiving. Sullivan's Travels was definitely good stuff and Veronica Lake was a knockout in it.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Apparently Clint Eastwood got the script for "Unforgiven" years earlier and decided he wasn't old enough for the role yet then sat on it until he was ugly enough.

It's the "Harakiri" of cowboy films.

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Finally saw Justice League. It’s what Batman v. Superman should have been.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Xyga wrote:Anyone can recommend the director's cut of Donnie Darko ?

I don't believe it adds anything to the film, only takes away from it. Which seems to be a common sentiment.

Listening to the commentary track did much to diminish my fondness for the film. The movie is so incredibly vague, that your personal interpretation of what's going on can be all over the place and very unique.

Much like listening to the explanation of Board James. It's better to not explain the zombies, the explanation of 'why' isn't what it's about.