OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
pyrotek85

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by pyrotek85 »

BuckoA51 wrote:
I don't think they sell rgb anymore for the 3DO. I have the original schematics to the design somewhere if you want them.
I'd be interested in getting this back into production if it's an open design.
Well I'll certainly be interested if you decide to do so. Maybe a way to integrate the 240p mod into it too?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Ah yes I've seen that file, needs someone with skills to make it into proper gerber or eagle files for actual production. Sadly I am but a humble shopkeep.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

pyrotek85 wrote:Honestly for me the OSSC has practically been plug and play, barely any adjustment at all. Just need to adjust whether it's x2 x3 x4 etc, and of course select the correct input.
Same here. There's options you can tweak for better image quality, but they're not that significant (personally I don't use them). For my systems I've never actually had to go into menus at all since default sync LPF setting was changed.

Well that's not entirely true, if I'm not mistaken the default TX transmit mode is set to HDMI and I have to change that to DVI due to a bug that's very specific to my TV.
Dochartaigh wrote: OR, is the problem that videos/tutorials like this don't exist because this is so dependent on what signal(s) your specific TV can take? It seems to be every time I find another post/article about the OSSC, it basically says how the signal is off-spec, and how tons of TV's will simply reject the signal. ...so at that point I really don't even know if the OSSC will work on my TV until I get it, right? And even if I happen to luck out and it does work on my TV, when I upgrade my TV in the future, there's no guarantee the OSSC will work on that new TV since it's not upscaling to industry-standard resolutions like 720p and 1080p, correct?
I think the OSSC is ridiculously YMMV depending on your TV. Not all TVs support its higher line multiplication modes, 480i passthrough, full range RGB, NES/SNES's weird signal, some systems weird refresh rate (Neo-Geo being the best example) and overscan settings. Plus your TV might not have zoom options for the GB Player and PSP.

If your TV doesn't support any of those, you might have to consider a secondary processor. DVDOs are popular and IMO a OSSC+DVDO combo gives way better results and is more convenient to use than a XRGB-mini.
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

I forgot to mention, I'm using my OSSC not with a TV, but an Asus 1080p monitor. It seems to support the different x3 x4 x5 modes. That sounds like the norm, since I generally read that PC monitors tend to be more tolerant of unusual resolutions or frequencies.
LDigital

OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by LDigital »

I am getting a lot of sync jitter when viewing 240p > 480p line x2

It doesn't appear so much with 480p or 720p sources. My tv does not support anything other than x2 nicely
Is there a setting I can tweak to try help this jitter settle down. I have a gscart switch that isn't the issue as it also happens when I plug sources direct
Blair

Post by Blair »

CobraKing wrote:@Blair, did the Rankie HDMI->VGA adapter when used with the supplied micro USB 5V also exhibit the voltage issues that you noticed?

My 6 year old 40" Sony LCD does a great job with the OSSC's Line 2X but won't accept 3X-5X via HDMI. It does have a VGA port though and the Rankie device is cheap enough that I don't mind taking the loss if the TV still won't display the OSSC's 3X-5X.

Just don't want to kill the OSSC by supplying it with too much voltage though. :shock:
@CobraKing, yes unfortunately when I externally powered the Rankie it had the same issue, but it didn't draw the same amount of power as other adapters, and it didn't get hot. on the bright side it doesn't appear that the Rankie actually needs to be externally powered as it performed perfectly fine with the juice supplied by the OSSC. so it's definitely worth giving it a try.

one other thing, you will likely lose the ability to use the 480i pass-through function as most VGA ports om LCD's don't support that resolution. otherwise everything else should work fine.
becker

Post by becker »

citrus3000psi wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:
I don't think they sell rgb anymore for the 3DO. I have the original schematics to the design somewhere if you want them.
I'd be interested in getting this back into production if it's an open design.
Someone by the name of Markus from germany did the work.

His documents:
http://www.greatlakesvista.com/rgb/3do/rgb_3do.zip
The mod shows 24bit RGB digital signals. Could these plus the I2S for sound go straight to the OSSC FPGA+IT6613 to get HDMI out? It would stay digital the whole time. Could the IT6613 be used by itself with no FPGA/MCU?
As an alternative I wonder if a THS8136 can be used to output analog RGB. Or a THS8135 can be used for component output.
If someone more could confirm if these are possible. It could be cool if the IT6613 can hook up to the signals directly and not need a master.
I was hoping something similar to the Marqs CPSII AV board could work for the 3DO.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

Blair wrote:
@CobraKing, yes unfortunately when I externally powered the Rankie it had the same issue, but it didn't draw the same amount of power as other adapters, and it didn't get hot. on the bright side it doesn't appear that the Rankie actually needs to be externally powered as it performed perfectly fine with the juice supplied by the OSSC. so it's definitely worth giving it a try.

one other thing, you will likely lose the ability to use the 480i pass-through function as most VGA ports om LCD's don't support that resolution. otherwise everything else should work fine.
@Blair, thanks for the prompt reply. I'll update this thread accordingly with my results.
marqs

Post by marqs »

becker wrote:The mod shows 24bit RGB digital signals. Could these plus the I2S for sound go straight to the OSSC FPGA+IT6613 to get HDMI out? It would stay digital the whole time. Could the IT6613 be used by itself with no FPGA/MCU?
As an alternative I wonder if a THS8136 can be used to output analog RGB. Or a THS8135 can be used for component output.
If someone more could confirm if these are possible. It could be cool if the IT6613 can hook up to the signals directly and not need a master.
I was hoping something similar to the Marqs CPSII AV board could work for the 3DO.
You'd need FPGA for linedouble, control etc. If you only want to route 3DO's 480i through HDMI, then a simple MCU could suffice. Note that the linked mod does not show a pin for PCLK which is required for any more sophisticated mod (e.g. for either of those THS chips), but it shouldn't be too hard to find that on the PCB.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Does anybody notice moving horizontal noise/lines on PS1 with the 480i speciafically at startup. I sat down last night and try the best I could get rid of them.

Some observations:
Changing the Video LPF to 95Mhz, gets rid of the moving horizontal lines but than I have thick vertical lines.
Dropping the horizontal sample rate does a very good job at getting rid of the noise all together.
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

citrus3000psi wrote:Does anybody notice moving horizontal noise/lines on PS1 with the 480i speciafically at startup. I sat down last night and try the best I could get rid of them.

Some observations:
Changing the Video LPF to 95Mhz, gets rid of the moving horizontal lines but than I have thick vertical lines.
Dropping the horizontal sample rate does a very good job at getting rid of the noise all together.
My SCPH-5501 and 7501 have perfectly stable images, what is your model/setup?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Zappyraccoon wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote:Does anybody notice moving horizontal noise/lines on PS1 with the 480i speciafically at startup. I sat down last night and try the best I could get rid of them.

Some observations:
My SCPH-5501 and 7501 have perfectly stable images, what is your model/setup?
I've tried 3 units, all pu-20 boards. So they would be 700x models. I've tried multiple cables as well both composite and luma.
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

Not sure if you are using optimized modes but I gave up on them if by horizontal lines you meant where pixels were flickering. I just use the default modes now.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Zappyraccoon wrote:Not sure if you are using optimized modes but I gave up on them if by horizontal lines you meant where pixels were flickering. I just use the default modes now.
I'm not using optimized modes. I wouldn't call it flickering. I'll shoot a video soon
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

https://youtu.be/RWRT6y1xOFE

Picked up a new TV, going to make a post for everyone but this is relevant to this thread. i think the OSSC's compatibility issues are coming to an end due to better processors built into these 4K TVs
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

Bahn Yuki wrote:https://youtu.be/RWRT6y1xOFE

Picked up a new TV, going to make a post for everyone but this is relevant to this thread. i think the OSSC's compatibility issues are coming to an end due to better processors built into these 4K TVs
Actually, I have a few questions about that TCL TV from your video to see if it's perfect for me or not. If been wanting to get a bigger/newer TV for the game room that hopefully is perfectly compatible with the OSSC and all my game stuff.

1.) How does DC 480p line doubled to 960p look on that TV? One cheap Toshiba I have makes Guilty Gear X look amazing, but my older Samsung LED scales 960p much more soft/blurry than 720p

2.) (Please use DC 480p, not line doubled, when testing this) Can you adjust the Horizontal/Vertical backporch length and (more importantly) the Horizontal/Vertical active length on the OSSC (http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... ng_tweaker) and still keep a stable image on the TCL TV? (might be unstable while actually changing the value, but not after you stop). On displays this works on, it effectively lets you adjust the image position and the image size. I only have one display this works on but I really need it for my Sharp X68000 due to it's oddball resolutions that tend to get the top and/or bottom of the image cut off by every HD display I've tried on 31khz and 24khz games on it. Changing those settings (or at least the active length) changes the resolution itself, so see if you can change DC 640x480 to some crazy like 624x492 and the TV not freak out.

3.) How's 480p scaling? Haven't gotten a newer TV in a while but in my experience a crisp 480p signal gets scaled a _lot_ more blurry/soft on HDTVs than 720p and up. (This is more of a curiosity and not a "requirement" for me)

4.) I can't tell for sure, but it looks like in your video the TV has a stand that's in the center, but on Best Buy's site it appears that it uses the edge style stand. This isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, but if it is a edge only stand then I'll have to figure something out as my current setup is a TV with a centered stand sitting on a centered "block" that serves the dual purpose of hiding cables and lifting the TV up higher so it's IR sensor is clearly above the sound bar in front of it.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-clas ... Id=5878705

5.) How does scaling look when you set line 5x mode to 1920x1200? (for games where 1080p cuts off too much 'overscan')

6.) BONUS: Does NES and/or SNES work fine at line 5x on the TV? Do you have any crazy equipment like a Sharp X68000 or weird arcade boards? My old Samsung LED in the game room likes everything except the X68000, NES/SNES at 5x (unless I turn TX mode to DVI, which also disables audio over HDMI), and my Double Dragon arcade board. However, my smaller Toshiba LED seems to take anything I throw at it.
Last edited by cr4zymanz0r on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pushky

Post by Pushky »

You are probably right I had a Samsung 1080p tv only did line 2x, bought a 4K Lg a cheap one and I can get all the modes working with the ossc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

cr4zymanz0r wrote:

Actually, I have a few questions about that TCL TV from your video to see if it's perfect for me or not. If been wanting to get a bigger/newer TV for the game room that hopefully is perfectly compatible with the OSSC and all my game stuff.

1.) How does DC 480p line doubled to 960p look on that TV? One cheap Toshiba I have makes Guilty Gear X look amazing, but my older Samsung LED scales 960p much more soft/blurry than 720p

2.) (Please use DC 480p, not line doubled, when testing this) Can you adjust the Horizontal/Vertical backporch length and (more importantly) the Horizontal/Vertical active length on the OSSC (http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... ng_tweaker) and still keep a stable image on the TCL TV? (might be unstable while actually changing the value, but not after you stop). On displays this works on, it effectively lets you adjust the image position and the image size. I only have one display this works on but I really need it for my Sharp X68000 due to it's oddball resolutions that tend to get the top and/or bottom of the image cut off by every HD display I've tried on 31khz and 24khz games on it. Changing those settings (or at least the active length) changes the resolution itself, so see if you can change DC 640x480 to some crazy like 624x492 and the TV not freak out.

3.) How's 480p scaling? Haven't gotten a newer TV in a while but in my experience a crisp 480p signal gets scaled a _lot_ more blurry/soft on HDTVs than 720p and up. (This is more of a curiosity and not a "requirement" for me)

4.) I can't tell for sure, but it looks like in your video the TV has a stand that's in the center, but on Best Buy's site it appears that it uses the edge style stand. This isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, but if it is a edge only stand then I'll have to figure something out as my current setup is a TV with a centered stand sitting on a centered "block" that serves the dual purpose of hiding cables and lifting the TV up higher so it's IR sensor is clearly above the sound bar in front of it.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-clas ... Id=5878705

5.) How does scaling look when you set line 5x mode to 1920x1200? (for games where 1080p cuts off too much 'overscan')

6.) BONUS: Does NES and/or SNES work fine at line 5x on the TV? Do you have any crazy equipment like a Sharp X68000 or weird arcade boards? My old Samsung LED in the game room likes everything except the X68000, NES/SNES at 5x (unless I turn TX mode to DVI, which also disables audio over HDMI), and my Double Dragon arcade board. However, my smaller Toshiba LED seems to take anything I throw at it.
Unfortunately I'm on Business trip and I won't return until Friday. I'll try to answer some of your questions when I return.

I'm envious of your Sharp X68000
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

The UK gets screwed again on the budget 4K TV front
Mikeyy00

Post by Mikeyy00 »

citrus3000psi wrote:
pyrotek85 wrote:Honestly for me the OSSC has practically been plug and play, barely any adjustment at all. Just need to adjust whether it's x2 x3 x4 etc, and of course select the correct input. I've got my systems all connected through an Extron Crosspoint matrix switch, so it's only a few button presses to get whichever system I want working.

Only thing I'd have liked is if it took S-Video as an input. Until I can find a way to RGB mod my 3DO, I'll still need the framemeister for that.

I think I got the last board from Otaku, and after putting it in, it's not worth it IMO. It's 480i, which looks like shit. I installed the mod to do 240p, but this has to be manually turned on after booting, and some games run too fast with it enabled.

The install is a bit bitchy too, quite a few wires. In hindsight, I would have skipped it and just used a cheapo SVid to HDMI adapter (as most TVs do 480i properly still).
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

Mikeyy00 wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote:
pyrotek85 wrote:Honestly for me the OSSC has practically been plug and play, barely any adjustment at all. Just need to adjust whether it's x2 x3 x4 etc, and of course select the correct input. I've got my systems all connected through an Extron Crosspoint matrix switch, so it's only a few button presses to get whichever system I want working.

Only thing I'd have liked is if it took S-Video as an input. Until I can find a way to RGB mod my 3DO, I'll still need the framemeister for that.

I think I got the last board from Otaku, and after putting it in, it's not worth it IMO. It's 480i, which looks like shit. I installed the mod to do 240p, but this has to be manually turned on after booting, and some games run too fast with it enabled.

The install is a bit bitchy too, quite a few wires. In hindsight, I would have skipped it and just used a cheapo SVid to HDMI adapter (as most TVs do 480i properly still).
Yeah I had heard that it wasn't the best. My main reason is that I'd like to eliminate a device from the whole setup (the Framemeister). The S-Video quality is actually rather good, if the OSSC accepted it I'd be just fine.

Anyhow I'm hoping there will be a future mod as it'd make things more convenient.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Firmware v0.78 released:

* Added support for PCM1862 audio ADC (pcb v1.6)
* Added "Allow upsample2x" option to replace pixel repetition in certain modes
* Enabled line2x selection for 640x512 (X68k)
* A number of minor bugfixes
Blair

Post by Blair »

excellent work marqs, the last firmware update fixed a number of issues I was having with my HD3000 and DVDO edge green processors in conjunction with the OSSC. 480p 2x looks particularly beautiful on my edge green. (I'll try to put up some footage in the not-too-distant future).

(hoping to get some time to update to this latest version and do some testing).
Last edited by Blair on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

DVDO edge green processors in conjunction with the OSSC. 480p 2x looks particularly beautiful
Your Edge is correctly seeing the input as 960p ?
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

Now I just need the unit itself but I am among 750 people that will receive it in September. Patiently waiting.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Fudoh wrote:Your Edge is correctly seeing the input as 960p ?
yeah, since the recent firmware update (v0.77) all the output modes of the OSSC seem to be working perfectly with my edge green unit, including 240p line 4x. have users been reporting trouble with 960p on other edge setups? (according to the information page on my green, it sees the resolution as 1440x960)

some games I tested with the 960p mode (mostly PS2, set to RGB) all these games have native 480p modes, so the line doubling works perfectly.

Sega Ages 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection

Guilty Gear XX Slash

King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match

Tekken 4

Soulcalibur III

(along with DE/EE+game mode)
Last edited by Blair on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I have to try this asap with all my gear.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I just sold my Edge Green. :(

Hopefully my DUO will line double 480p.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

I noticed a bug with scanlines when using line 2x on 480p and 512p. Copy/paste:

When taking 480p or 512p video that you then line double (960p and 1024p respectively), there are too many scanlines. Basically it appears there's maybe double the amount of scanlines, and they're thinner. However, a 240p signal of the same game still has correct scanlines at 4x (960p).

Here's pictures I took to show how all the other modes appear to be fine: http://imgur.com/a/pvJZ2
I kept the scanline intensity the same on all the pictures taken.

I don't know if this potentially affects other modes such as 480i line 4x'ed to 960p (I think you can do that). I haven't done much testing on interlaced signals.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The scanlines for linedoubled 480p content are meant for "true" 480p content. Hence you end up with 480 scanlines instead of 240. But I agree that "pre-doubled" 240p content should be taken into consideration and a switch made available to toggle between 240 and 480 scanlines in software.