OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
zak

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by zak »

ZellSF wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:One problem with splitters though adding them to the chain usually adds at least an extra couple seconds to re-sync time, so if you're trying to play games with 240p/480i transitions, splitters make those transitions take even longer, in my experience anyway.
Both the cheap China HDMI splitters I have manages to sync in less than a second, total. Would be pretty good for playing 240p>480i games if it weren't for the fact that the VP50 displays a ugly blue screen when the signal is lost for that second.
Didn't you eliminate the dropouts by unlocking the framerate on your VP50? :) Or am I mistaken?
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Would it be possible to swap the D-Sub input to do output instead? Maybe it would be possible to connect a CRT monitor this way and being able to use light guns. Would it be possible to convert a 15kHz input to a 31kHz output and still use light guns? Also with the BVM/PVM drought we would be able to game on CRT monitors instead. Perhaps not as great but still much better than consumer CRTs. You could still force the artificial scanlines through the OSSC itself.
Blair

Post by Blair »

H6rdc0re wrote:Would it be possible to swap the D-Sub input to do output instead? Maybe it would be possible to connect a CRT monitor this way and being able to use light guns. Would it be possible to convert a 15kHz input to a 31kHz output and still use light guns? Also with the BVM/PVM drought we would be able to game on CRT monitors instead. Perhaps not as great but still much better than consumer CRTs. You could still force the artificial scanlines through the OSSC itself.
it's not really necessary for the OSSC to output analog video. a good amount of digital to analog converters are available for reasonable prices ($15 - $25 for a decent one) check my spoiler below.
Spoiler
Blair wrote: in the meantime here are some screenshots of the OSSC on a Sony e400 CRT, I wanted to show how nice OSSC works with both 2-D graphics and 3-D graphics. (I think it looks pretty awesome, the colors are stunning).

[Sega Saturn+240p line double mode+scanlines 100%]

[Original Xbox+480p Component to RGB via OSSC]

ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

H6rdc0re wrote:Would it be possible to convert a 15kHz input to a 31kHz output and still use light guns?
Light guns do not work on a 31 kHz display, even on a CRT.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The Dreamcast one does work on both 15 and 31khz CRT displays, doesn't it ?
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Fudoh wrote:
The Dreamcast one does work on both 15 and 31khz CRT displays, doesn't it ?
That's right, forgot about that one. It's the only exception AFAIK though.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What about the NES one ? If you can essentially point it at a light bulb (in Duck Hunt) instead on the display, wouldn't it work on a 31khz as well as on a 15khz one ? But you're right about the rest of course.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You can't point the zapper at a lightbulb for duck hunt, since it has specific protection against this: it shows a fully black frame, then a white box around the duck on a separate frame, and it is the transition from black to white that it detects. If you just point it at a lightbulb, there is no transition.

I would think that Duck Hunt should work fine on a 31 kHz display if the overall latency is low enough.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can't point the zapper at a lightbulb for duck hunt, since it has specific protection against this:
I remember it working. A quick google search says "Early models of the NES Zapper gun could be tricked into thinking the target was always hit by simply pointing the gun at a bright light source and pulling the trigger.", but I have no idea when it might have changed.
LK4O4

Post by LK4O4 »

I keep forgetting that this is the OSSC thread. Would it be possible to change the name of this topic to something like "OSSC: Open Source Scan Converter" similar to the Framemeister thread?
zak

Post by zak »

When should we expect to receive the OSSC units from the reserve list?

I imagine 90 day lead time was for everyone who wasn't on the reserve list?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

zak wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:One problem with splitters though adding them to the chain usually adds at least an extra couple seconds to re-sync time, so if you're trying to play games with 240p/480i transitions, splitters make those transitions take even longer, in my experience anyway.
Both the cheap China HDMI splitters I have manages to sync in less than a second, total. Would be pretty good for playing 240p>480i games if it weren't for the fact that the VP50 displays a ugly blue screen when the signal is lost for that second.
Didn't you eliminate the dropouts by unlocking the framerate on your VP50? :) Or am I mistaken?
No, by a combination of unlocking the framerate on the VP50 and using line2x for both 240p and 480i. It's a fairly substantial image quality hit you only want to be taking for games that switch modes often.

For most games I have the OSSC set to 480 passthrough and 240p line5x. There I get dropouts of a second of blue screen.
Blair

Post by Blair »

LK4O4 wrote:I keep forgetting that this is the OSSC thread. Would it be possible to change the name of this topic to something like "OSSC: Open Source Scan Converter" similar to the Framemeister thread?
As far as I know that would be up to Marqs as he's the one that created the thread originally so he would have to go into the post editing options and change the thread title. him and BuckoA51 have also suggested that users post OSSC related questions in the official OSSC forums at
https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/forum/ossc/
zak

Post by zak »

ZellSF wrote:
No, by a combination of unlocking the framerate on the VP50 and using line2x for both 240p and 480i. It's a fairly substantial image quality hit you only want to be taking for games that switch modes often.

For most games I have the OSSC set to 480 passthrough and 240p line5x. There I get dropouts of a second of blue screen.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. So you are limited to line double mode to eliminate the drop outs through VP50?
nissling

Post by nissling »

While I've been an XRGB fanboy for many years, I've always been annoyed by its noise. The OSSC wasn't an option due to its lack of 1080p output but thanks to V1.6 I did get interested in this unit. So interested that I reserved one. HDMI also makes things much easier for me. I don't care for input lag, never noticed any with my XRGB-Mini on my current setup. Since it can give me 5X scaling and output at 1080p with (hopefully) no color noise, I'm pretty much happy. I'll keep the XRGB-Mini as well since it has way too many features that I'd otherwise be missing. This is very exciting overall.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Does the hdmi version also output sound via hdmi?
nissling

Post by nissling »

Yes, it supposedly does.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

zak wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. So you are limited to line double mode to eliminate the drop outs through VP50?
Pretty much, yes.

I wonder if DVDO Edge / Duo processors could do smooth 240pX4/480iX4 transitions...
marqs

Post by marqs »

Blair wrote:
LK4O4 wrote:I keep forgetting that this is the OSSC thread. Would it be possible to change the name of this topic to something like "OSSC: Open Source Scan Converter" similar to the Framemeister thread?
As far as I know that would be up to Marqs as he's the one that created the thread originally so he would have to go into the post editing options and change the thread title. him and BuckoA51 have also suggested that users post OSSC related questions in the official OSSC forums at
https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/forum/ossc/
I couldn't find an option to change thread title. Editing first post only allows changing its subject (like other posts) and I doubt it affects actual thread.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Editing first post only allows changing its subject (like other posts) and I doubt it affects actual thread.
it does :mrgreen:
sd_snatcher

Post by sd_snatcher »

I just heard about this wonderful scaler.

There's one topic that I have never seen to be covered by any scaler: Legacy 3D glasses support. Would it be possible to add Legacy 3D glasses support for the OSSC?

The Sega Master System is the main system that had support for this, but many other systems of the 80s and 90s support the 3.5mm 3D glasses output connector. Just to name a few:
There is a lot of technical info about legacy 3D systems and formats at this webpage.

Of course the main target for this feature would be the Sega Master System, as it sports a wonderful library of 3D games that can't be experienced without proper 3D glasses support.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

nissling wrote:Yes, it does.
Fixed.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Guspaz wrote:I would think that Duck Hunt should work fine on a 31 kHz display if the overall latency is low enough.
I can play Duck Hunt on my 480p Panasonic Tau if I set my OSSC to Line 2x.

I haven't figured out how to get Time Crisis to work with it though...
Blair

Post by Blair »

Triple Lei wrote:
Guspaz wrote:I would think that Duck Hunt should work fine on a 31 kHz display if the overall latency is low enough.
I can play Duck Hunt on my 480p Panasonic Tau if I set my OSSC to Line 2x.

I haven't figured out how to get Time Crisis to work with it though...
what type of video set up are you using? to your cables have the little pigtail at the end for syncing with the light gun?
sd_snatcher wrote:I just heard about this wonderful scaler.

There's one topic that I have never seen to be covered by any scaler: Legacy 3D glasses support. Would it be possible to add Legacy 3D glasses support for the OSSC?

Of course the main target for this feature would be the Sega Master System, as it sports a wonderful library of 3D games that can't be experienced without proper 3D glasses support.
is there a technical reason why those systems don't already work when a system is directly connected to a modern monitor? I'm not sure how or why the OSSC would have any bearing on whether a 3-D glasses solution works properly or not. wouldn't that depend on what type of monitor technology the glasses were designed for in the first place?
LDigital

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by LDigital »

I have my ossc running to 2x bvm and a fw900. Duck hunt works for me on all of them
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Blair wrote: what type of video set up are you using? to your cables have the little pigtail at the end for syncing with the light gun?
It's been a while but I think I tried two setups with the OSSC:

1) PS2 using the light gun SCART cable from retro_console_accessories ("PlayStation RGB SCART, Sync-on-Luma with Guncon support"). I quickly realized I didn't have anywhere to put the yellow cable; the Panasonic Tau was in DVI mode so I could use the OSSC in the first place.

2) PS2 with component cables. I thought I'd put the yellow Guncon cable in the green component port in the OSSC, but that didn't work either.

I don't think the cursor even appeared on that startup test.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Has anyone also tried an OSSC with a PC-8801 or PC-9801? I don't see there being any problems but I thought it'd be nice to ask regardless.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Wondering if anyone else is encountering the same or similar issues. Can't seem to use my PC Engine via dbGrafx Booster and OSSC. I have a set up that is running on a 15" ViewSonic PC CRT and generally have no issues with Super Famicom and Genesis 3 but can't seem to get anything to output with the PCE. I have an older revision of dbGrafx Booster (rev.C manufactured in Aug.'15) that doesn't seem to have a jumper switch which would allow me to select between two different csync settings/levels (75 and TTL). I'm also using an SCART cable with csync and outputs pure sync signal. Lastly, would HD Retrovision Genesis YPbPr Component Cable work differently in terms of csync? Any help would be much appreciated.
Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm »

With the new HDMI output, I was hoping to use an HD Fury Gamer Edition (version 1) HDMI to VGA cable that I acquired on sale. However, I noticed on the product page for the cable it has the following:

“A power supply cannot be added to the HDfury Gamer Edition cable due to the all-in-one sealed design. The HDfury Gamer Edition should therefore only be used when connecting a PS3 or Xbox360 Elite directly to a display device. We recommend that the standard HDfury with power supply be used for all other setups. If you are looking for ultimate quality and compatibility watch the brand new 2009 HDfury2, 2010 HDfury3 or 2012 HDfury4 !”

Does anyone have experience with this cable or know if it should work with the OSSC. I’m assuming it is pulling power from the HDMI port, but I have no clue how this would affect the OSSC unit itself.

Thanks!
Blair

Post by Blair »

quick question, would these adaptors let me connect RGBS/YUV sources to the OSSC scart input?

I wanted to use the video-out on a chained PVM to line double and record gameplay. any possible dangers or failure points? (besides cable quality).

azmun wrote:Can't seem to use my PC Engine via dbGrafx Booster and OSSC. I have a set up that is running on a 15" ViewSonic PC CRT and generally have no issues with Super Famicom and Genesis 3 but can't seem to get anything to output with the PCE.
have you tested the PC engine+OSSC on any other display besides the ViewSonic?

Tapeworm wrote:Does anyone have experience with this cable or know if it should work with the OSSC. I’m assuming it is pulling power from the HDMI port, but I have no clue how this would affect the OSSC unit itself.
I'm getting an HDGamer2 in the mail soon (somebody had a used one for sale, only $10. couldn't pass up that deal) specs indicate that it can be used with or without a power source so I'm assuming it should perform the same without a power source as the HDGamer1. so I'll give that a test and report back here later.