Xbox 360: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (November 2010)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Special World

Re: Xbox 360: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (November 2010)

Post by Special World »

For being a "lenient, newbie friendly, easy-clear" Dodonpachi game, this is easily the most infuriating Cave game I've ever played. Everything about 1.5 triggers me to yell at my TV. Easily Cave's worst 360 release, imo.

Arrange A and Black Label are pretty fun, at least.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Special World wrote:For being a "lenient, newbie friendly, easy-clear" Dodonpachi game, this is easily the most infuriating Cave game I've ever played. Everything about 1.5 triggers me to yell at my TV. Easily Cave's worst 360 release, imo.

Did you get this on release or more recently? Give it some time. 1.5 is a slow burn for some people, myself included. I've only recently started enjoying it, using Power C style, but admittedly before that it was all Arrange A and Black Label.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Special World wrote:For being a "lenient, newbie friendly, easy-clear" Dodonpachi game, this is easily the most infuriating Cave game I've ever played. Everything about 1.5 triggers me to yell at my TV. Easily Cave's worst 360 release, imo.

Have you played a previous ddp game before? Its sure alot more lenient then doj.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

It's more lenient in a survival sense, but when you try to do any sort of scoring it's really not much easier. You have to build your chain early then hold it with normal DDP chaining rules. The huge score figures are really demoralizing when you're struggling on the low end.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Special World

Post by Special World »

I got it upon its J360 release, but I haven't played it much because I sort of instantly disliked it. I play as Power B usually, because Bomb and Strong seem unsatisfying to play. People say it's a super easy clear, but the autobomb doesn't really make me feel like I'm earning my way through. Without autobomb, survival is tough as nails.

I've played DOJ (and DDP), and I enjoy that a lot more. Since DOJ has a more pure system and such brutal difficulty, it's easy to shrug off a chain break and continue playing for survival.

I think there's a couple things that make DFK feel a lot more punishing, though.

a) It feels like you're working toward your score rather than actively generating it. For example, in DOJ I feel like getting a high chain is a scoring reward in itself, but in DFK I'm trying to rack up a large multiplier and + score, and if I die before I get a hyper stocked, it feels like completely wasted time.
b) The chaining's variable elasticity makes it a kick in the nuts when you get a full chain-break. It doesn't feel too strict when your hyper isn't stocked, so you fall into a confident and comfortable groove. Then you get a hyper in stock, and all of a sudden your chain breaks because you weren't in top form. The game lulls you into complacency before breaking your chain and crushing your score.

I also tend to dislike 4-button control schemes. They're just not as natural, imo. So yeah, not a lot I like about the game. I'm not trying to say it's a terrible game, but I will say it's easily the worst Cave title, imo.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Special World wrote:I got it upon its J360 release, but I haven't played it much because I sort of instantly disliked it. I play as Power B usually, because Bomb and Strong seem unsatisfying to play. People say it's a super easy clear, but the autobomb doesn't really make me feel like I'm earning my way through. Without autobomb, survival is tough as nails.

I've played DOJ (and DDP), and I enjoy that a lot more. Since DOJ has a more pure system and such brutal difficulty, it's easy to shrug off a chain break and continue playing for survival.

I think there's a couple things that make DFK feel a lot more punishing, though.

a) It feels like you're working toward your score rather than actively generating it. For example, in DOJ I feel like getting a high chain is a scoring reward in itself, but in DFK I'm trying to rack up a large multiplier and + score, and if I die before I get a hyper stocked, it feels like completely wasted time.
b) The chaining's variable elasticity makes it a kick in the nuts when you get a full chain-break. It doesn't feel too strict when your hyper isn't stocked, so you fall into a confident and comfortable groove. Then you get a hyper in stock, and all of a sudden your chain breaks because you weren't in top form. The game lulls you into complacency before breaking your chain and crushing your score.

I also tend to dislike 4-button control schemes. They're just not as natural, imo. So yeah, not a lot I like about the game. I'm not trying to say it's a terrible game, but I will say it's easily the worst Cave title, imo.
Yeah I must say that I am defiantly not a real fan of 4 button control schemes. I would say its probably the reason I struggle so much in the espgaluda games. In DFK i'm too trigger happy with hypers and tend to forget you can manually bomb at all (autobomb certainly doesn't give more of an insentive too either).
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Been playing this lately and realizing that I really dislike the four button set up. I enjoy Daioujou a lot more than DFK. DFK feels very convoluted to me, with a lot of different tricks going into scoring and what not, whereas DOJ was really just "follow this path".

I really miss hyper items, too. Not a big fan of the hyper meter.

Anyway, I enjoy the game but its a game I'll never take seriously for score. Could see it being an easy 1CC though.
moh

Post by moh »

I just got the PAL release a couple days ago, and I 1-ALL'd it on my 2nd play..

I'm terrible at shooters, so let it go to show how easy the game is. Doesnt mean i didnt enjoy it though!

I agree that the autobomb doesnt really make you feel like you're earning the completion, but i find the Arrange A to be a ton of fun since you're not immediately stocked with a billion bombs.

DFK is just a very different breed of shmup. Its not meant to be similar to DOJ, in style or in gameplay. but that doesnt make it bad, it just makes it different.
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
Pharos

Post by Pharos »

Would anyone be able to tell me the requirements to fight Doom in the Ketsui arrange mode? I've searched around but wasn't able to find anything. Thanks.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

I had a couple of runs on PAL DFK 1.5 when I bought it at launch, but it didnt gel with me which I put down to been ill, so I put it on my shelf until I felt better.

Ive been trying the different modes out today and although I quite like it (love the doj like arrange mode) using the fire button for both shots feels very unnatural when changing from focus to spread fire.

Because Ild hate to use autofire in a DDP game ill stick at it in the hope I can get used to the timings, Type B feels more natural to play imo.
NzzpNzzp

Post by NzzpNzzp »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Because Ild hate to use autofire in a DDP game
Why?
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Because I love using one button to control my fire, its how I played the previous games and how I played Mars Matrix
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Cave's games as of late pretty much require you to use regular fire and auto fire in conjunction with each other. If you're not, you're just handicapping yourself, and shortening the lifespan of your fire button.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

It doesn't matter in DDP but using one button in DOJ is already a bad idea. The auto button in that allows these really quick bursts of shot that are really useful in some places.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Yeah you guys do have a point, especially about wear and tear on the control pad. Im waiting for those SF vs Tekken fight pads to come out which have mechanical buttons.
Erppo wrote:The auto button in that allows these really quick bursts of shot that are really useful in some places.
True, I found myself tapping auto for quick bursts, I would still like to get used to using one button fire for other sections though
deexor

Post by deexor »

Pharos wrote:Would anyone be able to tell me the requirements to fight Doom in the Ketsui arrange mode? I've searched around but wasn't able to find anything. Thanks.
First, meet the requirements to fight Golden Disaster:
- no continues used
- max 2 bombs used
- at least 2 bosses killed with full reddo

Additionally:
- destroy Golden Disaster without using continues
- collect all 45 bees.

Haven't done it myself, just reading off http://www12.atwiki.jp/xbox360score/pages/1223.html
GAME OVER
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Pharos wrote:Would anyone be able to tell me the requirements to fight Doom in the Ketsui arrange mode? I've searched around but wasn't able to find anything. Thanks.
Plug in a USB keyboard and type IDDQD on the title screen. ;)
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

First post in ages.

Real sorry to ask something that retarded, but I looked around and couldn't find the info quick enough...

Will the PAL copy of DFK play on a US console?
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Yes.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Much appreciated. I'll be hitting the scores section soon.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It appears that Japan will be getting both a reprint of Black Label and a "Double Pack" which includes both 1.5 and BL. Not sure which if any of the "hard-to-get" modes (1.51, Ketsupachi, etc.) are included.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

BulletMagnet wrote:It appears that Japan will be getting both a reprint of Black Label...
This is a reprint of DDP DFK Black Label Package Edition, which includes 360 Black Label, Novice Black Label and Black Label Arrange (Ketsuipachi/Daifukkestui).
BulletMagnet wrote:and a "Double Pack" which includes both 1.5 and BL. Not sure which if any of the "hard-to-get" modes (1.51, Ketsupachi, etc.) are included.
I assume the double pack is version 1.5 with the Black Label DLC included on the disc... unless it's an actual 2 disc set that includes both 1.5 and BL Package Edition. I highly doubt 1.51 will be included with either re-release.
rancor

Post by rancor »

I noticed that a 1.5 platinum edition was in stores yesterday. Is that new?

edit: yup - looks like it comes out today, but was somehow available for purchase yesterday.

Amazon.co.jp Link
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

There are now listings for an NTSC-J platimum version of black label, along with a bundle listing which looks to include 1.5 and BL in one package. Good prices too.

I've linked them in the pre-order thread.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

would be cool if the double pack included something extra. ....like idk. a finished version of DDP that they started with instant brain
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

As far as I'm aware, the double pack contains seven distinct modes, not counting style differences. Are you sure you really need that extra? :roll:
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Annoyboy

Post by Annoyboy »

I'm honestly surprised they're not including a first print exclusive DLC code for some arbitrary new version number of the game where the only difference is a slight change in background colours on stage 3 and trying to charge $120 for it.
So, are we expected to turn our TV on its side?!
Game Collection | 1CCs
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

moozooh wrote:As far as I'm aware, the double pack contains seven distinct modes, not counting style differences. Are you sure you really need that extra? :roll:
Considering how I already own DFK & DFK BL, yes, yes I am sure I need the extra. :roll:
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

So the double pack includes the BL Arrange? Someone who actually owns this version could confirm?
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
rancor

Post by rancor »

Animaitor wrote:So the double pack includes the BL Arrange? Someone who actually owns this version could confirm?
It isn't released until the 26th of his month, but I'll most likely pick it up and confirm.