Xbox 360: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (November 2010)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gs68

Re: Xbox 360: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (November 2010)

Post by gs68 »

I'm enjoying Type-A myself. It may be lower-scoring compared to other types but I don't care.
It especially works for bosses, where if you do S+L, the option lasers act as damage enhancement (since all of the lasers will be hitting the target if the main laser is touching it too).
Last edited by gs68 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

Galactik wrote:Sounds like I made the right choice with 1.5 for now. I will pick up BL for sure down the road. Super excited to have finally ordered a J-360. Looking forward to all the great shmups I can now take advantage of.
I've been gaming since NES days and honestly I think the J360 is my all time favorite console.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

apple arcade wrote:
Galactik wrote:Sounds like I made the right choice with 1.5 for now. I will pick up BL for sure down the road. Super excited to have finally ordered a J-360. Looking forward to all the great shmups I can now take advantage of.
I've been gaming since NES days and honestly I think the J360 is my all time favorite console.
Same here, man.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

apple arcade wrote: I've been gaming since NES days and honestly I think the J360 is my all time favorite console.
That's the most upsetting thing I've heard in ages. :(
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

bcass

Post by bcass »

It's without doubt the best shmup console of all time for me. All it needs is a really good Gradius game (hell, a decent XBLA port of arcade Gradius II would do me) and a few more original shmups. Before the next gen arrives, its shmup catalogue is going to look phenomenal. Nobody would have guessed at the start of this gen that it would play host to all of Cave's best games, including impossibly rare PCB iterations.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

As much as I really like having a J360, Ketsui 360 (and I don't care if it's emulated), and DFKBL retail, I still wish Cave would bring more of their games overseas, for those who cannot afford to own a second 360 or expend 70~80 USD per shmup.

[is secretly thinking "u jelly?" whenever he sees YouTube comments along the lines of "GDI THIS IS REGION-LOCKED"]

In other news, going from Ketsui or DFKBL to Ketsuipachi = not bad. Going from Ketsuipachi to DFKBL, on the other hand is a brief battle against muscle memory.
bcass

Post by bcass »

gs68 wrote:those who cannot afford to own a second 360
Ban request.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

...why do I hold partial disdain for this forum again?

OH THAT'S WHY
bcass

Post by bcass »

It was a joke. :roll:

Just in case you didn't get it, you don't need a 2nd 360. Many PAL/NTSC-U games are region free, and of those that aren't you can get Asian (not Japanese) releases to play on a J360 as they're always in English and will run fine on a Japanese console.
Sandlegs

Post by Sandlegs »

bcass wrote:It was a joke. :roll:

Just in case you didn't get it, you don't need a 2nd 360. Many PAL/NTSC-U games are region free, and of those that aren't you can get Asian (not Japanese) releases to play on a J360 as they're always in English and will run fine on a Japanese console.
Asian (not Japanese 360's) are nice.
Asia region releases are sometimes $20 cheaper than NA releases.
I got Asia Halo: Reach on release for $40.
Also plays JP region games. All I needed was a 110 watt power supply to replace the 240 that came with it.
(2x middle fingers)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Just did a tasty as hell 202bil score in BL arrange tonight and the weirdest thing happened on my replay! :shock:

I watched it and on the second stage boss the ship starts doing all this weird stuff I didn't do and goes all kamikaze, slamming into the edges of the screen and then ploughing headlong into the boss and losing all the lives. Wtf is going on there?! :?

I didn't touch the controller at all and the replay info still says 202bil Stage 5. Anyone know why this might happen?

StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I believe there's a known bug with BL Arrange replays that causes them to desync if you skip the stage clear scoring screen.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

StarCreator wrote:I believe there's a known bug with BL Arrange replays that causes them to desync if you skip the stage clear scoring screen.
Huh, how weird. Thing is I didn't touch anything at all. :|

StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Skykid wrote:Huh, how weird. Thing is I didn't touch anything at all. :|
That IS weird... is your replay attached to the leaderboards? If it is I can try watching it when I get back home to see if it does the same thing.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

StarCreator wrote:
That IS weird... is your replay attached to the leaderboards? If it is I can try watching it when I get back home to see if it does the same thing.
I'm not sure, I just saved it afterwards. :idea: Let me give it another look tomorrow (it's 4:20am now) and if it does the same thing I'll upload it and you can have a look.

ratikal

Post by ratikal »

I finally got a Saturn X360 pad and holy shit, its like that video all over again. It just feels like a new game.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

StarCreator wrote:
So I watched the replay again yesterday and it does the exact same thing. :? It's like it suddenly becomes someone else's replay at the stage 2 boss and kamikaze's all my lives, despite the fact that the run still says 1-5 and 202 Bil. :(

WTF man, that was actually my best run by a mile, I was pulling stuff off even I couldn't believe (hence I saved the replay.)

whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

so I'm getting completely and utterly ruled at BL. I'm giving myself every advantage I possibly can outside of actually going into the menu and giving myself more lives and making the game easier by default. I'm playing on Novice mode with C-Bomb-autobomb and I still cannot pass the game without continuing yet. That 1-up in stage 3 helps though. I'm loving the game though. It's like "DoDonPachi: Greatest Hits, remastered for the first time on one disc. Order yours today!"

edit: does the 1.5 limited edition come with the 1.51 DLC code? I'm thinking of picking it up too for that and the 2 arrange modes. You guys think that's worth it if I already have BL retail?
Last edited by whoozwah on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

So I think the whole scoring system in Ketsuipachi is this:

1. Rack your hit up with 10 cubes.
2. Before your counter ends, use a hyper to turn all bullets into 10s for more hit.
3. I think there's some multiplier involved as well with what cube you get and the timer.
4. Flashing BEEs to cash in your hit meter.
5. Full Reddo mode at boss fights.
6. Hypering at key moments during boss fights to get stars.

That's all I got from the game. So essentially its rack your hit meter up and cash it in with big stars. Anyone else got stuff to add?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ratikal wrote:So I think the whole scoring system in Ketsuipachi is this:

2. Before your counter ends, use a hyper to turn all bullets into 10s for more hit.
3. I think there's some multiplier involved as well with what cube you get and the timer.

That's all I got from the game. So essentially its rack your hit meter up and cash it in with big stars. Anyone else got stuff to add?
I figure you need to use your hyper early in a boss fight and probably only once, or else you won't be able to get the red meter back up in time and afaik getting the big star bonuses off of the boss are worth a lot more than incrementally driving up your combo counter with the hyper.

ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Skykid wrote:

I figure you need to use your hyper early in a boss fight and probably only once, or else you won't be able to get the red meter back up in time and afaik getting the big star bonuses off of the boss are worth a lot more than incrementally driving up your combo counter with the hyper.
The closer you are to the boss, the faster your Red meter goes up. I don't think there is a difference in damage either.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ratikal wrote:
Skykid wrote:

The closer you are to the boss, the faster your Red meter goes up.
Ah, cool, didn't know that. And Hypers burn out faster on a boss right? Still, using hypers doesn't seem to have massive point advantages on the boss (correct me if I'm wrong there) but getting the red bar to max is all important.

Did I mention this game is incredible btw? :o

ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

appleofsolipsism wrote: I've been gaming since Atari VCS days and honestly I think the J360 is my all time favorite console, except maybe for the Gameboy and the SNES
BIL wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:01 pm Imagine a spilled cup of coffee totalling your dick and balls in one shot, sounds like the setup to a Death Wish sequel.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Does anyone else think that Shooty is harder than Taisabachi? Holy crap, she is giving me a load of trouble at full rank.

Also something I noticed, if you have the arrange music during Ray'n's boss fight, the music heats up when she fires all them lasers at the end. I thought that was kind of neat.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I'm currently playing the Black Label disc.

I keep reading that autobomb is optional in black label, however I don't see the option anywhere. I select my ship type and game mode, then the game starts; there's no selection after that. It's always off for me, which is fine, however it bugs me that there's an option I don't know how to use.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
whoozwah

Post by whoozwah »

It's on the screen where you select bomb, power or strong. If you press left or right it will toggle your autobomb. Bomb and Strong styles have bomb stock but power style doesn't unless you pick them up in the stages so if you wanna use autobomb, don't use power style.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

On the plus side, Power Style with no autobomb allows you to stock an extra Hyper.

Think of Hypers as bombs with less guarantee for safety but without combo nullification (provided you cancel fast enough so the risks of draining the combo meter or dying don't present themselves).
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

whoozwah wrote: edit: does the 1.5 limited edition come with the 1.51 DLC code? I'm thinking of picking it up too for that and the 2 arrange modes. You guys think that's worth it if I already have BL retail?

1.5, 1.51, and Arrange A are worth it. Arrange B isn't worth 15 cents.

It's less of an Arrange Mode and more of well ...it's just boring.
Sandlegs

Post by Sandlegs »

Yeah, I would also say worth it. 1.51=LAZORS EVERYWHERE!!! and Arrange A is like a brother to Ketsuipachi. Those two are my favorite modes on both discs. Very intense.
And yeah Arrange B. :?: :?: :?: For me at least.
(2x middle fingers)
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Has Arrange B been patched yet?