Xbox 360: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (November 2010)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skykid

Re: Xbox 360: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (November 2010)

Post by Skykid »

8 1/2 wrote:It's especially frustrating in Ketsupachi, since it takes a little while to adjust to having to rush up and point blank the silos to destroy them fast enough. I've never understood why they care if I start over in stage ONE? How is that cheating?
Yeah, that's really shitty actually. My problem isn't chipping up, but getting the Ura route on Ketsupachi - it's a lot tougher than any other mode I've played to pull it off, but much better for score.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ptoing

Post by ptoing »

8 1/2 wrote:I've never understood why they care if I start over in stage ONE? How is that cheating?
Perhaps they are just to lazy to code a little exception for this. Who knows.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

It would be nice if they learned from 5pb. The DOJBLEX and Ketsui ports have proper restarts, and I'm willing to bet Bullet Soul will as well.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

Skykid wrote:So BL scoring. I jack up the red gauge to full by lasering, then hyper and bullet cancel. Or do I have that all wrong? :idea:
In 1.5 you eat bullets to jack up your counter as fast as you can then chain through the level with a full hyper meter to score high.

In BL you still want to raise the counter as fast and high as you can but it raises differently. The main way is by taking the bees when they are yellow or when they flash. This will cancel all the bullets on screen and add them to your counter (as well as turn them into stars; yellow bee = little stars, white/flashing = big). The other big way is by killing certain enemies that cancel their own bullets when destroyed; usually you have to kill them with the laser+shot but this can vary. An example is the green ships at the start of stage 3. So set your routes up to let enemies flood the screen with bullets then grab a bee or kill them if they are of the self-cancel variety. Obviously killing enemies adds to your chain and you can still ride some lasers (like the tanks at the start of stage 1 if you're playing Strong).

Once your counter is jacked up activate your hyper, eat the bullets, and watch your score rise. Unlike 1.5 you eat the bullets for score instead of for the chain. There's a multiplier based on your chain count like in 1.5 but I'm not exactly sure of the values.

Hope this made sense. :lol:

ETA: Having a full red meter makes the enemies fire a lot more bullets so you want to be full red when you're eating them for score. The bosses will also drop large stars if you defeat them with a full red meter.
Peace Through Violence
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Shalashaska wrote:
Skykid wrote:So BL scoring. I jack up the red gauge to full by lasering, then hyper and bullet cancel. Or do I have that all wrong? :idea:
In 1.5 you eat bullets to jack up your counter as fast as you can then chain through the level with a full hyper meter to score high.

In BL you still want to raise the counter as fast and high as you can but it raises differently. The main way is by taking the bees when they are yellow or when they flash. This will cancel all the bullets on screen and add them to your counter (as well as turn them into stars; yellow bee = little stars, white/flashing = big). The other big way is by killing certain enemies that cancel their own bullets when destroyed; usually you have to kill them with the laser+shot but this can vary. An example is the green ships at the start of stage 3. So set your routes up to let enemies flood the screen with bullets then grab a bee or kill them if they are of the self-cancel variety. Obviously killing enemies adds to your chain and you can still ride some lasers (like the tanks at the start of stage 1 if you're playing Strong).

Once your counter is jacked up activate your hyper, eat the bullets, and watch your score rise. Unlike 1.5 you eat the bullets for score instead of for the chain. There's a multiplier based on your chain count like in 1.5 but I'm not exactly sure of the values.

Hope this made sense. :lol:

ETA: Having a full red meter makes the enemies fire a lot more bullets so you want to be full red when you're eating them for score. The bosses will also drop large stars if you defeat them with a full red meter.
Sweet, thanks for that! :o

That's pretty helpful actually. So it's really a case of combo counter multiplying score when eating bullets in hyper mode. Think I got it. What happens when the hyper dies, does the multiplier reset?

I didn't like the no hyper rule for the latter half of the stage in 1.5 - it was frustrating. Is this tact completely out the window in BL?

Also (sorry), would someone mind giving me a quick ship overview for BL? I'm using Type B/Power at the mo as it seems to build hypers quicker in boost mode.

Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

The multiplier doesn't reset when your hyper meter runs out. The multiplier seems to be based solely on your chain count so you can hyper as much as you like in BL. It still pays to plan out when you use them though as your red gauge will deplete by about a half or so when the hyper ends thus reducing the amount of bullets the enemies fire. If it ends at the wrong time you could miss out on a valuable scoring opportunity.

You're right about the power type ships. Their red gauge fills the fastest of all types when in Boost and once the red meter is in red their hyper meter fills the fastest as well. Power has no bombs and can have a total of 2 hypers ready. One can be stocked and one can be used when the hyper meter is full a la DFK 1.5. Also you are forced to the Ura mid-bosses when playing power style. I'm not sure if you can get the regular mid-bosses; never tried.

Bomb is pretty much the same as power except your shot and laser is weaker obviously, you have bombs, and the red meter fills the slowest of all the styles. Your bomb stock can be used as hypers; it just depends on whether you hit the bomb or hyper button. So when you start stage 1 for instance, you already have 3 hypers ready to go or 3 bombs if you want/need them. The enemy patterns seem to be the same as power.

Strong style ships have a beefed up shot and laser and their red meter raises at a rate in between bomb style and power-boost. The enemy patterns are that of the second loops in DFK 1.5 and you also now get the revenge bullets/lasers when you're canceling enemy shots with your hyper. Your bomb stock can also be used as hypers just like in bomb style. Strong also has Zatsuza if you can get to him. :D
Peace Through Violence
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I just discovered the soundtrack customization feature for BL retail.

Which is all kinds of neat--you could have, for example, 1.5's Stage 1 music, but then have BL's Stage 2 music in the same playthrough.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Shalashaska wrote:The multiplier doesn't reset when your hyper meter runs out. The multiplier seems to be based solely on your chain count so you can hyper as much as you like in BL. It still pays to plan out when you use them though as your red gauge will deplete by about a half or so when the hyper ends thus reducing the amount of bullets the enemies fire. If it ends at the wrong time you could miss out on a valuable scoring opportunity.

You're right about the power type ships. Their red gauge fills the fastest of all types when in Boost and once the red meter is in red their hyper meter fills the fastest as well. Power has no bombs and can have a total of 2 hypers ready. One can be stocked and one can be used when the hyper meter is full a la DFK 1.5. Also you are forced to the Ura mid-bosses when playing power style. I'm not sure if you can get the regular mid-bosses; never tried.

Bomb is pretty much the same as power except your shot and laser is weaker obviously, you have bombs, and the red meter fills the slowest of all the styles. Your bomb stock can be used as hypers; it just depends on whether you hit the bomb or hyper button. So when you start stage 1 for instance, you already have 3 hypers ready to go or 3 bombs if you want/need them. The enemy patterns seem to be the same as power.

Strong style ships have a beefed up shot and laser and their red meter raises at a rate in between bomb style and power-boost. The enemy patterns are that of the second loops in DFK 1.5 and you also now get the revenge bullets/lasers when you're canceling enemy shots with your hyper. Your bomb stock can also be used as hypers just like in bomb style. Strong also has Zatsuza if you can get to him. :D
Ah fantastic info, thanks so much! I was wondering after a run with Strong why the bosses were so vicious - I thought it was a crazy rank thing. So by that note, Strong is by far the best for scoring - just nutty difficult. Perhaps autobomb is suddenly necessary in this mode, although I expect it still kills your combo counter (although dying won't help it much either. :idea: )

gs68 wrote:I just discovered the soundtrack customization feature for BL retail.
Where is it? Does it let you have BL OST in Ketsupachi?

Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Skykid: I've compiled a bunch of info about DFKBL here, if you'd find it useful. :P
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Sapz wrote:Skykid: I've compiled a bunch of info about DFKBL here, if you'd find it useful. :P
Brilliant, thanks for that. (I probably should have checked the strats last night. :) )

Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

Skykid wrote: Ah fantastic info, thanks so much! I was wondering after a run with Strong why the bosses were so vicious - I thought it was a crazy rank thing. So by that note, Strong is by far the best for scoring - just nutty difficult. Perhaps autobomb is suddenly necessary in this mode, although I expect it still kills your combo counter (although dying won't help it much either. :idea: )
Actually Power is the best for scoring high. You can just sit there and absorb shots when you hyper. The revenge bullets in Strong make that not as easy to do. Also note that if you use auto-bomb you can't use your bomb stock for hypers.
Peace Through Violence
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Shalashaska wrote:
Skykid wrote: Ah fantastic info, thanks so much! I was wondering after a run with Strong why the bosses were so vicious - I thought it was a crazy rank thing. So by that note, Strong is by far the best for scoring - just nutty difficult. Perhaps autobomb is suddenly necessary in this mode, although I expect it still kills your combo counter (although dying won't help it much either. :idea: )
Actually Power is the best for scoring high. You can just sit there and absorb shots when you hyper. The revenge bullets in Strong make that not as easy to do. Also note that if you use auto-bomb you can't use your bomb stock for hypers.
Ah I see. Intricate little beast this BL eh? :|

I did check the WR and realised that Strong is among the lower in the field, so yeah, definitely counter productive for score. I do enjoy the Danger Lasers sometimes for the added fun of shot switching.

moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Actually it's definitely higher than Bomb, the problem is that it's harder to actually score in it (and also that C-Strong is fucked because of its screen-covering shot that makes hyper bullet canceling a lot harder). I see B-S overtaking A-S eventually. I'd say 1.5 trillion or higher should be achievable at least in theory.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Galactik

Post by Galactik »

Just placing an order for my first J-360 and going to order a game as well with it. Which one do I order?

http://www.play-asia.com/Do_Don_Pachi_R ... -3xkl.html
or
http://www.play-asia.com/Do_Don_Pachi_D ... -433k.html

I have been playing Futari 1.5, Deathsmiles, Esp2, mainly the region free games, but finally decided to pull the trigger and go full on into 360 Shmups.

I am just not sure which version of the game to order. Any info would be great, thanx.
bcass

Post by bcass »

They're two seperate releases. Each package contains stuff that the other doesn't have.
Galactik

Post by Galactik »

* ordered Resurrection with the system

So would it be wise to start with Resurrection? Then order the other one once I get comfortable with it?
bcass

Post by bcass »

Personally, I think Black Label is the better package, because I think BL is a better game than 1.5, but plenty of people would disagree.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

Get 1.5. It's on sale and in stock. It's a great game. When you have spendable cash again then nab Black Label.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

bcass wrote:Personally, I think Black Label is the better package, because I think BL is a better game than 1.5, but plenty of people would disagree.
I think you'll find plenty probably would agree tbh.
I'd go for Black Label if you don't mind your games tough, 1.5 if you prefer the option of a comfortable 1cc (as its Strong type + autobomb settings are a neat option for beginners.) Also, Arrange A on 1.5 is superb fun if you're after a simple DFK experience (more on the DOJ lines).

Damn, there's good reason to buy both actually.

brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Skykid wrote:
bcass wrote:Personally, I think Black Label is the better package, because I think BL is a better game than 1.5, but plenty of people would disagree.
I think you'll find plenty probably would agree tbh.
I'd go for Black Label if you don't mind your games tough, 1.5 if you prefer the option of a comfortable 1cc (as its Strong type + autobomb settings are a neat option for beginners.) Also, Arrange A on 1.5 is superb fun if you're after a simple DFK experience (more on the DOJ lines).

Damn, there's good reason to buy both actually.
Honestly the reason I most miss 1.5 is that my kids had a blast with it. I had it in the cab quite a bit and they had a blast, and the auto-bomb + strong mode helped them to enjoy it. Of course they're 5, so they didn't really grasp the scoring right away.. :mrgreen:
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Galactik

Post by Galactik »

Sounds like I made the right choice with 1.5 for now. I will pick up BL for sure down the road. Super excited to have finally ordered a J-360. Looking forward to all the great shmups I can now take advantage of.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Skykid wrote:
gs68 wrote:I just discovered the soundtrack customization feature for BL retail.
Where is it? Does it let you have BL OST in Ketsupachi?
Sound options. You can customize soundtracks for both modes.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Note too that you can get DFKBL as a DLC with the 1.5 version for 1200 Japanese points (a little under $25). It's Black Label alone, though, so you wouldn't get the Ketsui-themed Arrange mode (or its music) and would be unable to access most of the leaderboards.
bcass

Post by bcass »

You can access all the leaderboards via 1.5 + DLC except those for BL arrange mode. You can't download replays that were uploaded via the BL disc though if browsing using 1.5 + DLC.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I need to check some BL vids out to find the rhythm in this and learn to hyper when the sweet spots come, but I'm having a blast. Found I scored better with Power/Type C as opposed to Type B, which is odd as the Tybe B's slightly more concentrated shot should allow you to bullet cancel without prematurely killing enemies right?

Still, only made 11 bil by 1-4, I got some work to do.

ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Skykid wrote:I need to check some BL vids out to find the rhythm in this and learn to hyper when the sweet spots come, but I'm having a blast. Found I scored better with Power/Type C as opposed to Type B, which is odd as the Tybe B's slightly more concentrated shot should allow you to bullet cancel without prematurely killing enemies right?

Well, if you don't mind shitty iPhone quality and unconscious humming of the games soundtrack, I uploaded a 1.4 trillion B-Power replay on youtube. Here is the first stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2KweMwj3yg

You can find the same one on XBL but I find it easier this way.

The other stages are on my profile. I'll upload Stage 5 when my college internet stops being shitty.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

ratikal wrote:You can find the same one on XBL but I find it easier this way.
Assuming you're playing the retail version, I could capture this in 720p and upload it if you want, I can upload videos longer than the 15 minute limit.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ratikal wrote:
Skykid wrote:I need to check some BL vids out to find the rhythm in this and learn to hyper when the sweet spots come, but I'm having a blast. Found I scored better with Power/Type C as opposed to Type B, which is odd as the Tybe B's slightly more concentrated shot should allow you to bullet cancel without prematurely killing enemies right?

Well, if you don't mind shitty iPhone quality and unconscious humming of the games soundtrack, I uploaded a 1.4 trillion B-Power replay on youtube. Here is the first stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2KweMwj3yg

You can find the same one on XBL but I find it easier this way.

The other stages are on my profile. I'll upload Stage 5 when my college internet stops being shitty.
Ha ha, brilliant. 20 seconds of watching that and I already can see how much I have to learn. Thanks, I'll give it the twice over. :wink:

twalden

Post by twalden »

Is there any scoring benefit by hypering in Ketsupachi? If there is, I'm not seeing it.

Fun mode. I'm already used to point blanking everything from playing 1.5, so it's pretty easy to pick up on.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

StarCreator wrote:
ratikal wrote:You can find the same one on XBL but I find it easier this way.
Assuming you're playing the retail version, I could capture this in 720p and upload it if you want, I can upload videos longer than the 15 minute limit.
Yeah, it was the highest score with a replay. If you want to upload it, go for it. I just recorded it so I could watch it stage by stage easily. I uploaded it because...why not, I need videos on my youtube account ;P.