Mini-pc (beelink SER 7) for gaming

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jandrogo

Mini-pc (beelink SER 7) for gaming

Post by jandrogo »

I am considering to get the beelink SER7 mini-pc https://www.bee-link.com/catalog/product/buy?id=540 as dedicated gaming device for Steam indie/shmups and teknoparrot. It has focused my attention due to low wattage consumption, small form factor and decent gaming performance for the price.

I have read from various reviews it is a decent device for playing new games at 1080p with low settings, so I suppose it will perform without problems any shmup at 1080p/1440p 60fps.

I have an old i3 3220 Dell ssf with 4gb ram, a gt1030 and 250gb hdd that sounds like a teapot.. I don’t want to throw at it 100-150€ to limitedly update it, considering the SER7 is about 600€

Does anybody have experience gaming in one of those Beelink mini-pc.. is there any limitations in Teknoparrot to have in consideration (I have never run it). Any advice?
Working in the japanese language achievement
Guspaz

Re: Mini-pc (beelink SER 7) for gaming

Post by Guspaz »

The CPU/GPU is identical to the Z1 Extreme found in modern gaming handhelds (literally the same die, only difference is the TDP is configured a bit higher). The price is virtually identical to a Lenovo Legion Go 1TB, which has half as much RAM (16GB) but that RAM is much faster and it's also got a 2560x1600 144 Hz IPS touchscreen and detachable controllers (switch-style).

I think you'd be better off buying a Z1 Extreme gaming handheld and using it in docked mode, since you'd also get the optional portability.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

I was also looking for something for Indie games but i went with something a bit different than what you have in mind. I picked up the Asus rog flow z13, lower end, Intel Iris GPU. I have not tested with Teknoparrot. I have tested it with Hollow Night, SSF4A etc and games if that sorts 2D, works well.. There are also versions with built in nVidia GPU but a bit higher price. I like it overall and I'm pleasantly surprised that it works very well as a laptop due to the detachable keyboard being a bit heavy and great quality. Something else to look into before you make a decision..look at youtube for reviews if you are not familiar with this system,,,choices are good.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16996678-asus- ... sult-click
The Future Is Now
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

As long as the majority of the games you want to play aren't AAA, i think you should be good. I have a handful of Beelinks and they are more than capable, it's the only miniPC apart from the NUC I trust at this point. You're not going to move mountains, but it's a neat device. I have a Launchbox setup on an old AMD 5350 APU and it's dog slow, so trust the Beelink.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The problem with handhelds and small cases are thermals and throttling. I'd look around and see if there's any reviews or forum posts about that specific model. Maybe someone put the machine under load for a long session and shared the results.
We apologise for the inconvenience