Xeno Fighters EX and Parallel Dimensions '99

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
EddyMRA

Xeno Fighters EX and Parallel Dimensions '99

Post by EddyMRA »

Since the threads in the old forum are gone, I will give the links to my two homebrew shmups again.

Xeno Fighters EX:
http://www.rf-emporium.net/xf-ex/

Parallel Dimensions '99: Journey into the Unknowm:
http://www.rf-emporium.net/PD99.zip
landshark

Post by landshark »

I haven't been able to run Xeno Fighters EX since I installed SP2. Any ideas on getting it working? I can't give you any more details right now as I'm at work.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

landshark wrote:I haven't been able to run Xeno Fighters EX since I installed SP2. Any ideas on getting it working? I can't give you any more details right now as I'm at work.
Have you tried setting Win98/ME compatibility on the game EXE?
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

Looks great! When I am not so swamped with work I will definintely give it the time it deserves.

May I ask if you wrote your own engine for this game or if you used a 3rd party engine?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Strychnine wrote: May I ask if you wrote your own engine for this game or if you used a 3rd party engine?
I used a program called Multimedia Fusion to make both of these games. You can find info about this program at http://www.clickteam.com
landshark

Post by landshark »

Alluro wrote:
landshark wrote:I haven't been able to run Xeno Fighters EX since I installed SP2. Any ideas on getting it working? I can't give you any more details right now as I'm at work.
Have you tried setting Win98/ME compatibility on the game EXE?

I wonder if the setting got reset. I'll give that a shot.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Nice work Alluro! Being a big Strikers and 194X fan my fave of the two by far is Xenofighters. As a North Dakotan I love that the second level is an epic battle over the Midwestern U.S. Is that my house down there? :P
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

I had trouble playing Xeno Fighters EX as well, though running it in Win 98 emu mode helped. I like it, good work.

Bill
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like both games. PD '99 is a nice tribute to Gradius and Salamader and Xeno Fighters is a cool tribute to the Raiden Fighters games.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I primarly like Japanese shmups (a lot of the US and European releases just don't do it for me) but these games are just fantastic. Keep up the good work man, I'm looking forward to seeing the new version of Xeno! :D
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Dylan1CC wrote:Nice work Alluro! Being a big Strikers and 194X fan my fave of the two by far is Xenofighters. As a North Dakotan I love that the second level is an epic battle over the Midwestern U.S. Is that my house down there? :P
Haha! Hope it's not the house where a smoldering crater now exists because of the boss!

I gave Xeno Fighters EX an immersive and compelling storyline, where you as the player actually care about your mission as much as blowing stuff up. I also gave the game a lot of atmosphere and mood. Check out stages 3, 5, 6, and 7.

The music is one of the most important parts of any game. Although the soundtrack for Xeno Fighters EX borrows music from other games (like Earthworm Jim 2), I chose each music track because it totally fits the stages on which they play.

Parallel Dimensions '99 is my first ever homebrew shmup. Some ideas and concepts made it over the XF-EX, and is my tribute to Gradius and Parodius. You swear I was smoking something mighty strong when you see the kind of stages I created for PD99. Wait until you see what the final boss of PD99 is!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

^^^

Yeah, I also like how each stage intro screen apes 19XX's stage title screens. Now I just need to put this game on my jump drive, bring it home and enjoy it with a USB pad.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

One important technical note:

If any of these games should crash if you play them under Windows XP, open up the game EXE's property sheets. Select the Compatibility tab and set to Windows 98/ME compatibility.

For my new Windows XP laptop, the XF-EX crashes only when I exit the game.

My older desktop PC went down about two weeks ago with a virus, so I won't be able to make any progress on the new Xeno Fighters version anytime soon. As far as I know, all my files are intact. I just can't start up Windows on that PC anymore, and I was not able to make backups of my work before the virus...
Skyknight

{waking up one VERY old topic}

Post by Skyknight »

I noticed from the st. 1 .avi that you already had mission explanation before I came up with the NEMESIS vs. ERIS storyline...{grumble} I hate finding out that I made an effort for something that already existed. Never mind that, being a Macintosh devotee, I didn't HAVE a way of finding out...

What WERE the original (if not still-existent) mission intros?