Against Great Darkness - SHMUP, brick breaker, roguelite

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
DirlyD

Against Great Darkness - SHMUP, brick breaker, roguelite

Post by DirlyD »

Hey All,

Been working on a brick breaker shmup roguelike for the last 6 months I'd love for you to check it out and play test it. Currently a very rough version of an alpha state is up on itch.io, I need testers. There is some missing audio, and a few soft locks to watch out for but it at least showcases what the game is. Let me know your thoughts and feedback thanks!

Here is the trailer:
https://youtu.be/WvCbJCwLPlA

Itch:
https://hitregstudios.itch.io/against-great-darkness

If you like what you see feel free to wishlist on steam, I'm gunning for a july release.

Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2302 ... _Darkness/
Ark

Re: Against Great Darkness - SHMUP, brick breaker, roguelite

Post by Ark »

You have a beautiful presentation going for this game.

I haven't played your game yet, but are the vertical sides enemies as well?
The images on the side have the same contrast and color scheme as the enemies you are attacking.
DirlyD

Post by DirlyD »

Ark wrote:You have a beautiful presentation going for this game.
Thanks!

naw the walls wont hurt you. Originally I thought I would make them, but it plays better if they do not.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

I was able to play through the demo a few times the other day.
Ark wrote:You have a beautiful presentation going for this game.
The presentation is indeed beautiful and bulges with detail. The immaculate menu and GUI design matches, though must use the mouse, not WASD to navigate GUI in current build. Sound design is pretty good too, though overall program volume could be a touch louder imo.

I found some important in-game elements do occasionally get lost with the Red→Black pallet limit. Bullets do a pretty good job standing out being black with a saturated red moving ring around them, but I think I would put that same red outline around enemies that move down vertically and threaten to collide with the player, like the skulls, worm-leaches, and the charging octopus dudes. They could be difficult to see, becoming especially obscured against the black edges of the screen. Enemies that stay in formation up top aren’t a collision hazard, so their appearance is good as is.

There’s a noticeable amount of momentum slide with the movement controls that I am not fond of. The movement controls feel sloppy when the character continues to travel after the controller is moved to neutral (This issue was present with all of the characters I tried). I think that there should be less or no distance traveled after the player ‘lets go’ of the controls (imo as an stg player). Offering more precise controls can allow you to balance your game toward a faster/more intense experience with a higher skill ceiling and better micrododging. I ended up trying to counter the sliding after moving by immediately performing a brief opposite direction input to negate some momentum and stop more abruptly on the spot. I was not able to get any sort of built-in controller support working anywhere in the game with my setup and resorted to using a joystick keymapper similar to Joy2Key to use my arcade stick.

I found axe-throwing characters to have the highest DPS and top killing power. The 3-way shot characters were good for quickly killing formations and dealing with skull zako, but had painfully low shot DPS of ~1-2 HP and was not shield-piercing like the axe making large enemies and bosses 3x+ slower kills. My most desired upgrades were the 1-bounce-use wave shield and the 4-bounce for rapid shot ability.

The game seems to have a good deal of items and meta that I am not sure how they affect gameplay. The game in general feels like it has a lot of mechanics going on at once with only so much the player can devote their attention to at a time. I recognize this may be somewhat by intent. I understand that a lot is still to be done. End boss seems cool too, but has minimal scripting after opening attacks.

I was able to get this (unity) game demo working in Linux under Wine. I needed a 64bit Wine prefix with d3dx11 b/c my system does not have Vulkin. Users with Vulkin could potentially use DXVK for better performance, idk. I don't think my legacy system was achieving unbroken 60 frames, but the game generally appeared to run smooth with some slight choppiness when large waves appear onscreen.

Also, the game softlocks after defeating the end boss if you get the dog event (after the boss) & pet dog: GUI breaks and can’t take bone. Funny.
Game looks fantastic so far, but there’s some polish to do.
DirlyD

Post by DirlyD »

Verticen wrote:I was able to play through the demo a few times the other day.
Thank you really for spending the time with it. This might be the most feedback I have received from someone as of yet. I think I may put a buffer on the side so enemies cannot spawn that close to the walls. Or I might remove the red "eyes" on the walls to see if that makes it a bit better. I will try and rework the movement mechanics to fit a more snappier response it's funny I've seen some people state that it is great while others share your same sentiment. It seems for the hardcore SHMUP fans however the non-floaty movement seems to be the most desired I will tune it. I know of the soft lock with the dog (and sometimes the skull), its such a pesky bug I knew about it when I put up the pre-alpha demo, been putting off trying to fix it to finalize some of the core meta progression I should have a fix for that by next week. Everything does need a balancing pass I expect to refine alot once I'm strictly in the building of content phase.

Those are some of my favorite items as well... however I have added quite a bit more from the demo release. I plan on launching with over 100. Currently have 60 developed, but I cannot recall how many I put in the demo. I do agree more polish is needed but I needed to see if the core is fun before hammering away a few more months on the project.;

It does appear that you did overall enjoyed the core so thats a plus in my book.

Thanks again, developing in a bubble is so hard and sometimes I'm just not sure if its just fun for me and not my potential players.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

DirlyD wrote:I think I may put a buffer on the side so enemies cannot spawn that close to the walls. Or I might remove the red "eyes" on the walls to see if that makes it a bit better.
I found the leech enemies specifically notorious for getting visually hidden in the BG edges. The other charging enemies had more choreographed attack paths, but the leeches spawned seemingly randomly anyway. One could spawn right at the edge and move straight down without the player ever noticing them being there. This does add a bit of random gameplay risk to going toward the edges, but it typically feels more like taking random damage when it happened to me. Perhaps a spawn buffer for these at least; the player will still be plenty vulnerable in the corner to bullets and skulls that are directed towards them. Changing the appearance of the leech enemy to blend in less with the side BG elements here is also a potential solution.
DirlyD wrote:I know of the soft lock with the dog (and sometimes the skull)
Yeah, I bet that static shock event could potentially cause issues if player got RNG shocked to death after clearing the game lol.

I played slightly more, this time with some characters that had the staff hitscan weapon. Getting the %300 attack speed upgrade with this weapon after 4 bounces can really rapidly chew though a wave of enemies. Axe is probably still the better weapon, but this did pretty good.
This time I noticed there were collectible white orbs which moved down the screen, but I could not determine what collecting them impacted.
DirlyD

Post by DirlyD »

Hey thanks for the continued play testing! I'll have to throw your name in the credits! I just updated the demo version to 0.03 with alot of addtions, biggest thing was gamepad support, meta progression, unlocks systems, few paragons, and additional items.
Verticen wrote:This does add a bit of random gameplay risk to going toward the edges, but it typically feels more like taking random damage when it happened to me.
Yeah I feel the same way it just feels like random damage. I think the best way for me to ensure this doesnt happen is to limit them from spawning close to the edge. I really am trying to avoid additional colors in the pallet I also thought about putting a solid outline on the outside of the edge which may help slightly but I'll have to test it to ensure it matches the aesthetic.
Verticen wrote:This time I noticed there were collectible white orbs which moved down the screen, but I could not determine what collecting them impacted.
This depends upon which character you collected them on. With Thyche it causes an expolsion on a random enemy. With Udea it replenishs 1 cleanse (she actually might be the most OP one right now). I have to do a serious balancing pass once all items are implemented