Old shmups released source code, know any ?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
nekitu

Old shmups released source code, know any ?

Post by nekitu »

I was wondering if you know any code source releases for old shmups, maybe some github links.
No matter if assembler or whatnot, I am super curious how they made them.
Thanks for any info.
Krushal

Re: Old shmups released source code, know any ?

Post by Krushal »

Sounds like you're most interested in classic/console shmups, I haven't seen any with source code released.
I've noticed a few more-modern games over the years, however. Did a bit of a search...

rRootage by Kenta Cho (ABA Games). His BulletML library might also be worth a look if you're familiar with C++.

Taisei Project, a touhou-like with custom engine, and OpenGL/WebGL rendering for easy cross-platform compilation (even has a Switch homebrew port).

Probably, though, a better place to start learning about shmup-engine and bullet-pattern design is by looking at the documentation for existing engines (a previous post gives a summary of the most popular) and trying things out.

Danmakufu is the most mature of these, with source code (and updated forks ph3sx, dnh-woo), tons of example games and scripts to study, and extensive documentation.

My main PC died recently, so I can't have a poke about in the game directories for any that include source code (some might). I'll check (if I remember) when I'm recovering data off the hard-drive and post anything I find.
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)
nekitu

Post by nekitu »

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the links.
Yes, I am developing a Cave-inspired shmup, C++/OGL+Lua game logic, the engine is done, but I am curious now on how they did certain stuff, boss anims, stages, etc. it is mostly a curiosity since in Lua we can do anything regarding stage logic and gameplay.
Also I've searched about how they did the pixel art, what (obscure) programs, methods.
My fear and almost certainty is that it was quite hardcore :), enemy animations by hand in the code, and pixel art with the available programs of that time.
Still, nevertheless, source code even in its most primitive form would be awesome to study and learn some tricks from the masters :).
nekitu

Post by nekitu »

This is what I got as a test for now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDeQhGF6fr4