PinaShmuppada

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
qmish

PinaShmuppada

Post by qmish »

Hello! So, recently I was learning how to make something playable in wonderful Shmup Creator (development environment created by Suny).
And after several weeks of learning and what not, I finally reached something with my first project, called PiñaShmuppada.

It's just one stage + boss fight, but that already was a challenging project to do for me. Obviously, I'm very new to this and still learning, so your feedback and critique will be appreciated much!

Here is the download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hlN8MG ... share_link
About 30 mb download. Includes README with info about system requirements and default controls (which are rebindable via menu).

In regards to "gameplay system". You have main weapon that consists of straight shot (which reaches the end of screen) and spread shot (which has limited range). You can stay safe, shooting enemies from afar with straight shot and using spread as defense tool. But also you can risk more and point-blank enemies with more power (better learn their behaviour first, though). And then, during focus mode (which enables slow speed of movement for more precise dodges) you have auxiliary weapon (nya bombs) which launch after 0.5 seconds from the start of focus mode, and they launch each 1 second. They are more slow than main weapon, but deal more damage and have a dose of auto-aim for closest enemies. Not only "nya bombs" might help you during slow movement maneuvers, but also you can do a "combo shot" by luring enemy into "nya bomb" and instantly shooting the main weapon to complement. Scoring-wise, you can keep chains of enemy kills, with 1 second time given before chain breaks. I designed the stage in a way that you can fullchain it if you want. As a reward, additional lives are granted to player.

I drew the graphics myself (except for a few things I might replace later like explosions or in-game fonts), but admittedly I was heavily influenced by games like Mr. Driller, Puyo Puyo Fever, Super Puzzle Bobble, Cool Cool Toon, Space Channel 5, Chu Chu Rocket, Technic Beat, Koloomn and the likes, with a dose of inspiration from Milestone shooters (Radirgy, Illvelo, Karous etc.) and Y2K aesthetics in general (rave flyers designs and what not). Music is by one of underground electronica (local) legends of the past, Jared Newby. Sounds are mostly default for now except for boss alerts.

So, that's it for now. Looking forward your impressions and, of course, post you're score!
Cheers
Ark

Re: PinaShmuppada

Post by Ark »

My score was 52326

I was going to say the art style reminded me of... Then I saw the Puyo Puyo and Chu Chu rocket references.
I miss Sega Dreamcast. I can see the inspiration, nothing seems visually out place, but it would be cool to give the explosions the same art style as the overall game visuals.
I think the music works for this game based on your influences (space channel 5 and Mr.Driller). Granted I do enjoy smooth/ lofi jazz and electronic. I think the enemies come at a solid pace. I like the second phase of the boss.
There is a moment where you have an enemy pattern spawning out of thin air at the top middle of the screen. I don't know if that was intentional.

Just a thought, would it be possible to have a multi-layer of hexagons moving in the background, some slightly faster than another so they slowly overlap each other. I don't know, could add some interesting background depth.
The character is a little big for me but other than that I enjoyed it.
qmish

Re: PinaShmuppada

Post by qmish »

Yo, thanks for playing and feedback! Hope it was fun.

Yeah, perhaps would try to draw cartoonish explosions and see how it looks.
Sorry about some sudden spawns, I now think of adding water splashes or sparkles or whatever in place where they would appear to signal the danger.

Multi-layer background... yeah, might be possible. The engine (Shmup Creator) allows to have several layers of parallax scrolling, but I haven't tried doing that yet.