Gemini Sky: Game Development

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Ark

Gemini Sky: Game Development

Post by Ark »

Hello everyone,
I'm attempting to make a horizontal space shooter. I hope to show the progress and updates that I have made on this forum.
My game influences have been Darius Gaiden / Thunderforce / Gunstar Heroes / Blazing Star / Border Down / and Radiant SilverGun.

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by Ark on Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ark

Re: Gemini Sky: Game Development

Post by Ark »

Super Update -

Work In Progress

Last edited by Ark on Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ark

Post by Ark »

Got to have environments :)

Water Level: Work In Progress

Under the Water

Through the Mountains: Work In Progress

Into a ??? facility?

Classic Asteroid Level: Work In Progress

Ark

Post by Ark »

Working on some environments.
Super happy I found a way to create better gifs. :|
Very new to this stuff.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Nice, I really like the wave trail effect on the sea stage. Something about it gives a Dariusburst vibe, especially coupled with those super long trains of popcorn enemies.
Good use of color too - the palettes for each environment look very distinct, particularly the blue-purple tint on the mountains and height fog. Lovely.

Though as a little nitpick, the player's bullets look a bit slow and 'snakey'. Though I note that your hit effects are spawning one frame to the right of where they appear to connect - I assume that might be a factor, since the offset appears to be based on their speed? :)
Ark

Post by Ark »

Nice, I really like the wave trail effect on the sea stage. Something about it gives a Dariusburst vibe, especially coupled with those super long trains of popcorn enemies.
Good use of color too - the palettes for each environment look very distinct, particularly the blue-purple tint on the mountains and height fog. Lovely.

Though as a little nitpick, the player's bullets look a bit slow and 'snakey'. Though I note that your hit effects are spawning one frame to the right of where they appear to connect - I assume that might be a factor, since the offset appears to be based on their speed? :)
Thank you for the feedback Lander!

Wave trails stylized.
Yes the Dariusburst is strong with this one, I did use Thunderforce series and Darius series as reference, especially for enemies.
The color pallet was and still is a challenge, but I like the current result. Making a couple of mood boards helped me out. I was aiming for environments that tell a story and show alien worlds yet had vibrancy and activeness to them, things that Darius Gaiden, G-Darius, and Blazing Star did well. I also like how Border Down looked, I think G-Rev and Treasure could work miracles with their environments.

Yeah, I'll have take a look at the fire rate as well as the speed of the bullets in the future. There is a distinct impact when bullets hit an object, granted I'll see what ends up being final in the long run.

Thank you for the feedback.
Alec44

Post by Alec44 »

Hey, lovely !!!! I like the style !

Trails over water for example, I love this in games you are telling a story with background ennemies and I love that !
Ark

Post by Ark »

new background update - work in progress

Sand area

Colony