Adagio preview video

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
fenrirwolf

Adagio preview video

Post by fenrirwolf »

Here's something I whipped up just to get some practice at compositing video. I try to emulate the style of those preview/trailer videos you see for commerical video games.

Some of you might have remembered me posting about my game Adagio on the old Shmups board. Well, since then I've done a lot of fine tuning of the gameplay and I'm just about ready to release it. While the game remains the same slow movement pace, I've spiced up the enemies and slowed down the enemy bullets. As you can see in the video, it really livens the game. (That's me playing hard mode.)

Click to download Adagio Preview: Low quality (MPG, 6.7m)

Click to download Adagio Preview: High quality (MPG, 12.1m)

Still working on the scoring system and adding special bonuses. (One intended secret is to have a special mini-game unlockable. It'll be a homeage to one of my favorite old-school shmups, Dragon Spirit. :))

Anyway, enjoy!
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Nice work! I'd like to play this game.
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

Looks neat. How does the Option work? Is it homing or do you guide it by holding a button down?

Also, nice work on the video. My only comment would be to move the credits to the end, the video runs for 25 seconds before you even mention the game.

Is this a freeware or shareware shmup?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Looks good, I like the amount of bullets on-screen. At least the trailer didn't have the bane of many a 16-bit shmup, the annoying lulls between action. It's nice that you've gone for the small sprites -approach, kinda like W-Ring (Double Rings) for PCE if you've played that.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
fenrirwolf

Post by fenrirwolf »

The option has two modes, defense and offense. In defense mode, it circles your ship and will absorb bullets and damage enemies it touches. In offense mode, it will seek out the enemies without requiring any intervention on your part -- however, it no longer acts like a bullet catcher in this mode. You can instantly switch between either mode by pressing the secondary fire key.

The option in offense mode will attack enemies, but it also overheats easily and will be slow to attack enemies until it cools down. This randomizes its behavior a bit so it just doesn't instantly kill everything. (Kind of like the little spinny option in Hellfire.)

Absorbing bullets gives you a little score bonus, while destroying an enemy with the Orb will net you extra points. Still tweaking these settings, though, so that might change in the future.

The game is freeware and will be available pretty soon. There's a demo on the website, but it's for the old version that doesn't have the new manic-like modes like the ones in the video.

Ghegs: Originally the bullets were much faster, but a friend suggested I slow them down and when I did it gave it a much more frantic feel. I've tried to keep the levels consistantly throwing stuff at you, especially on hard mode. I hate lulls in action too. :) And no, I never did try W-Ring (never owned a PCE/TGFX16), but if it's similiar I would like to play it!
druuna

Post by druuna »

very interesting :)
I love its 16 bit techno soundtrack!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Very nice work, fenrirwolf! Looks very manic on the boss fights, love the homing bit.

The graphics are very unique for a shmup. I especially like the forest and arctic stages. This may sound strange but to me, some of the visuals have an interesting arts and crafts appearance to them I can't quite pin (especially the forest and arctic level). Love the cinema at the end with the ship crusing past some space stations.

A homebrew shooter which is an homeage to 16-bit horizontal shmups with a unique art style? Sign me up.

EDIT: Just noticed you shoot birds in the forest and the cinema seems to be cel shaded? Nice.