SHMUP Pinball?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
RikOclon

SHMUP Pinball?

Post by RikOclon »

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, but have been learning to develop shmup style games since 2010 or so.
I started as an artist and taught myself to program, and over a decade later I've got a something worth showing people!

Retro Space Ball is my first commercial game attempt as a solo developer, and people seem to like the beta demo!

I'm wondering how the die hard shmup world would feel about a bit of pinball mixing into the genre?

The beta demo has a story mode, where levels with giant bosses are beaten in succession, and a vs mode where players can play head to head locally or against AI.

I'm also working on a pinball table mode, and a roguelite mode.

I'm nearly 4 years in development, and would love any feedback or help testing that I can get!

Does this look like something you might play?

Thanks for your response!
Ixmucane2

Re: SHMUP Pinball?

Post by Ixmucane2 »

It looks much more like breakout than pinball:
  • Empty playfield instead of interesting fixed locations to aim at
  • Ball interaction with close contact with a moving object rather than through fixed flippers and plungers
  • Wide gap at the bottom instead of the traditional arrangement of three small ones in the middle, left and right
You should develop advanced breakout features, such as fixed destructible targets (like Arkanoid brick walls) and manipulating enemy movement and ball movement for tactical purposes with obstacles, shots and balls.