First time/beginner engine

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
wht11

First time/beginner engine

Post by wht11 »

The basic premise is which would be the "easiest" for code, the only part I would be responsible for and I'm thinking about month full time (~8h), i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ for learning time. Between those:
1. luaSTG
2. STGBuilder
3. Danmakufu v0.12m

Any tips? If someone had experience with one of those 3 (any level, finished/unfinished), how goes the early work flow?
Krushal

Re: First time/beginner engine

Post by Krushal »

In theory, LuaSTG should be the easiest to get started with, allowing one to create a Touhou-like STG without code.
However, the (English) documentation is at an early stage and removing/altering Touhou mechanics requires understanding the code structure and modifying the default scripts.

Danmakufu is all coding, but the documentation is pretty comprehensive. So, it will take longer to get things started, but implementing unique game mechanics should be easier.
I'd highly recommend using the most recent Danmakufu, if you go that route. Version 0.12m requires localisation software to work on non-Japanese OS, among other issues.
Actually, I'd use "DNH_Woo", a tweaked and optimised fork of PH3.

STGBuilder has been discussed in this forum before. Along with the chronic lack of documentation, the engine is outdated at this point (gfx, performance, compatibility).
Maybe the still-updated Japanese version fixes those issues, but we'll likely never see an English version of it.
EDIT: English support has been added since 2021.

The Bullet Hell Engines Discord server seems to be the most active community for this stuff. Judging by their most recent competition (video), and Bulletforge uploads more generally, Danmakufu is still the most popular by far, even for new creators.
Good luck with the project :)
Last edited by Krushal on Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)
wht11

Post by wht11 »

Thanks a lot, LuaSTG does look quite good, certainly by what was released so far. The wiki for it got going, just as it was foreseen by the magic 8-ball.

There's one thing about Danmakufu versions, 0.12m requires JP locale but apart from that it's rock solid. PH3 on the other hand is reported to desync replays notoriously, it depends on the script itself but it is a known issue without a fix(?), unless I missed something. Ever heard of that in DNH_Woo? I see RNG is among changes and if it's backwards compatible with ph3 scripts, maybe the problem is solved there, I might make a test on that.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

wht11 wrote:0.12m requires JP locale but apart from that it's rock solid. PH3 on the other hand is reported to desync replays notoriously
I couldn't find any clear evidence for this, from a quick internet search. I was under the impression that, while there are a few gotchas with the replay handling, careful scripting avoids these issues.

I've been playing tons of Danmakufu games recently, mostly PH3, and only one game's replays desync for me (One no Animism 2).

Interestingly, the only other TH-fangame that desyncs for me, Unstable and Unimaginable Power, was made in LuaSTG. Seems that replays can be a problem any way you go.
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)
wht11

Post by wht11 »

Krushal wrote:
wht11 wrote:0.12m requires JP locale but apart from that it's rock solid. PH3 on the other hand is reported to desync replays notoriously
I couldn't find any clear evidence for this, from a quick internet search. I was under the impression that, while there are a few gotchas with the replay handling, careful scripting avoids these issues.

I've been playing tons of Danmakufu games recently, mostly PH3, and only one game's replays desync for me (One no Animism 2).

Interestingly, the only other TH-fangame that desyncs for me, Unstable and Unimaginable Power, was made in LuaSTG. Seems that replays can be a problem any way you go.
May well, reminds on my very first post here no one knows about, it's a funny story. Here about this desyncs for me:
https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/20533

and this game had a report about that
https://steamcommunity.com/app/834580/discussions/

So in all fairness "notoriously" maybe wasn't the best word for bringing 2 but "Ephemeral Unnatural Balance" is sold on Steam and for that on thread developers say they looked into it, sounds like it isn't easy if there.