new game for fun

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
__SKYe

Re: new game for fun

Post by __SKYe »

heli wrote:I have chosen not to write any data then people get no administrator windows-10 warning to make changes to your system.
So no highscore saving in this game, maybe more people will play.
You shouldn't be saving config/hiscores on the same folder as the game; if the game is stored in a priviliged folder (such as Program Files) and the user doesn't have administrator right, the game won't be able to create/modify the file(s).
Ever since Windows Vista, at least, application data is supposed to go into the user's documents, saved games or appdata folders.
heli

Post by heli »

Thank you very much.
If i understand correct :
If i place the save file in user's documents, saved games or appdata folders,
then there will be no administrator warning for changes to your system ?

Ok, now i have to find out where i can find the saved games folder.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Technically you need only create/write the files to a non-administrator folder/path and it will work; the saved games/documents/appdata are the recommended places, though. The user might not be too happy if you save the files in random places. :)

To get the path to one of these folders, you can use the SHGetKnownFolderPath function. It only works on Vista and above, so if you are also targeting XP you can use the deprecated function SHGetFolderPath.

The list of folders you can query for SHGetKnownFolderPath is here (and for SHGetFolderPath here).

For example, the following:

Code: Select all

SHGetKnownFolderPath(FOLDERID_LocalAppData, 0, NULL, &path);
will return the current user's local appdata folder (eg. "c:\users\username\appdata\local") on the pointer "path". You have to call CoTaskMemFree to free the string when you're done with it (the function allocates the string for you). Also, it is a wide string in UTF-16 format.

After that, you can just create a folder for your game data in there and create/write the save files.
Take a look at the links above, as they properly describe what you can do with the function(s).

Alternatively, for some of the special folders, you can also get their path from the environment, using the GetEnvironmentVariable function (I don't know if Windows has libc's getenv() function). For example, the same local appdata directory is in the environment variable %LOCALAPPDATA%.

If you'd like to provide an option for a portable installation (ie. save files in the same folder as the game), a common way to do it is to check for the existence of a specific file (eg. one named "portable.txt") in the game folder, and if it exists then it is a portable installation so the config/save files come from the same folder. Of course, now you still have a problem -- the possibility that the user puts the game in a privileged folder and runs it as non-admin -- but that is the user's problem at this point and you could just quit with an error message.
Another way would be to pass a command line argument to enforce reading/writing the save files from the game folder.

The downside of providing multiple save locations is that you have to think about the possibility that multiple save files exist and which should take precedence.

The functions above are from win32's C API. I don't know which language you're using, but there should be comparable bindings available.

Forgot to add: the save games folder token for the SHGetKnownFolderPath function is FOLDERID_SavedGames. The folder itself is "c:\users\username\saved games" and was introduced in Vista.
heli

Post by heli »

Thank you very much, great information, and double thanks i am targetting XP, building in XP, with directX 9
It all works perfect in win10 as long as you wont close the game in fullscreen, then norton comes up with shit.
heli

Post by heli »

The language i use is C++

If someone please like to test for crashes :
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4lanpkob ... e.zip/file
Here it is.

It is not in the state to make a movie yet.
Sick of programming now.

Let me know what you think, or it crashes.
Important : close all important things before playing.

Pressing control sets difficulty to 100%
Dont accidently press it.
Input automaticly is configured to the first joystick it finds, if you want keyboard, you have to change in the menu.
The menu is only keyboard, you have to exit the menu.
Ultra wide monitors no tate mode supported so far.
Have support for 4:3 type monitors.
Made for 16:9
heli

Post by heli »

No one tried yet ?
Comeon, its the "game of this year edition".
heli

Post by heli »

I guarantee its better then cyberpunk 2077
heli

Post by heli »

Still no programming, if i get back on it,
i need to combine vertex buffers to save some GPU.
heli

Post by heli »

I dont feel like working so i added more for fun instead of finishing the first boss i added a second boss.

heli

Post by heli »

Still working on the second boss

In this attack pattern the arms should be destroyed and wont show.
Need to work on the first pattern with arms.
heli

Post by heli »

With arms looks better

I dont know how to move them, i have to find out.
It might take a while.

Once i have it i implement it in the other boss also.
heli

Post by heli »

I made it so you can push the arms away with shooting.
Reminds me of earth defence force 4.1, where you push the big robots so they shoot the wrong direction.
Nice idea, only to random, i removed it, shooting the arms dont messes with the aim, just pushing the arms away.
Still have to think what to do with it, and add collision so it wont go inside itself.
This is way to cool, i keep playing, cool games are bad for production.
heli

Post by heli »

Added laser instead of bomb.
heli

Post by heli »

Bug found : without joystick connected the menu position is not changable.
My friend found it and was complaining about it, i could not find any bug because i always have joystick connected.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

Good work here. I tested the game under wine and it runs quite well and smoothly. That’s good news for linux/steam compatibility. I get the impression you’re making the game engine more or less from scratch, so what you have is impressive! I encountered the joystick menu issue as well; if I have a joystick plugged in, I have to use the keyboard to start the game. After the menu the game works fine with a Dimput joystick. Fullscreen can be turned on, but doesn’t seem to be able to toggle off again. The jewels icon in the top left seems to display just a random jewel. I might not be understanding the chaining system though, so ignore if it works as intended.

Also, I know a good bit of Blender if you’re still looking for someone to manage art. I can make 3d models or do pre-rendered sprites. Let me know if there’s an upcoming boss or something that I could show you a test of if you’d like.
heli

Post by heli »

Thanks for testing, if you can make a nice 3D spaceship for the player i would appreciate.
I am working on the laser when i have it done i will upload a new version for you to test,
i wanted to complete it this week only i dont get to it, days go very fast.

The chaining system is as follow :
gold color have nothing to do with the chain.
first you grab 1 colored block.
then you need 2 colored diamonds.
then 3, and so on until you have red diamonds.

Losing a diamond increases difficulty, losing many red diamonds makes it difficult very fast.

Blender can easy generate .x files, you can replace the mesh for testing, it is small scaled, it need rotation as visible in the game.
heli

Post by heli »

The game engine is this game.
When this game is finished/done i copy all and remove everything exept what is left, that is the engine.
It should grow every game from now on, i removed lots of 3D and now focus only 2D,
so it shrunk

i only have to look at PS5 movies to make me certainly only creating realistic 2D shooters, not realistic as PS5.

I need to add 3D again next game for nice backgrounds, this game have simple scrolling backgrounds.
heli

Post by heli »

I already want to make a new game, that is bad.
Ark

Post by Ark »

I like the tumbling rocks and how they break a part. The boss is destroying me after it starts its spread pattern. I think the ship movement is pretty good with the controller.
heli

Post by heli »

Yes the movement is so good, that if i play battle-garegga i keep stopping shooting to move faster, thanks for testing.

Laser :

Maybe i can make it to charge the laser you need gold blocks.
Then bullets turn into gold blocks and theoreticly can laser forever.

Laser is set to twice shot power for now.
heli

Post by heli »

I stop programming for now i need to focus on music and 2 other projects for now.
Verticen i give you a month ok ?, post screenshot of game with new ship please.
heli

Post by heli »

By the way i am planning a third spider boss that shoots bullets in web formation.
heli

Post by heli »

You can make a few ships, the best will be the player, the rest enemys.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

It's been a bit, but I haven't forgotten about this. I'll send some screenshots of a ship soon to see if it's like what you're after. I could also put some simple texture details if your game engine has texture mapping support.
heli

Post by heli »

Hi, thanks for your reaction.
Take it easy, i,m glad you reacted within a month.

The problem with textures is they are hard programmed, also the materials.
Cant load those from a mesh in this game.

Just make a basic shape and i,m happy enough,
with texturing i am really perfectionist, i cant or dont have patience for that exactly how i want it.
It means nothing is double loaded, all from one source.
Lets say you have 2 wings with the same shape, left and right side have the same texture, then you should use the same coordinates so no piece of texture is being repeated/reloaded if you understand.
We have to talk about it if you can do that ?, its really hard work and its extra, if the game is complete it can be made nicer with textures later.
I dont wanto spend to much time on this game, and before end of this year a playable version that is just enough to keep people happy.
After that we can see : new game or more textures.

The thing with textures is it all have to be in 1 texture.
You can not use multiple textures on 1 spaceship because of GPU slowdown.

I am long not done with making any music so take your time, i,m happy you helping.
*ps : no payments involved for this game, free for all, so i cant pay you,
if you need music of sfx for your own project no problem i make for you.

I need at least one month from now to make any music, still busy developing sounds.
You know it will be good music already, its my other hobby, i stopped making normal music, from now on only game music, my music have purpose now.
heli

Post by heli »

Hello Verticen ?, you there.
I have made nothing, you need to inspire me with a great spaceship and a crazy spider boss.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

Hey dude, I'm back.

Here's what I have for a player ship model. I designed it roughly off of your model. I want to add some depth to the wings which are just flat planes right now, and some detail to the back thrusters and underside.

I also did some concept for a spider boss like you suggested. Just a drawing at this point; Here's what I've come up with.
I can make all the legs different objects with their pivot points at the joints if that is what you would like to make the rig in your engine. I think it may be cool to be able to destroy the legs and other boss parts for score, and making the boss attack's more difficult as more parts are killed.

Let me know how you'd like me to send model's files, and if you have a preferred format for them. I could probably just pass you blender files for the models if that's what you've been using to make the models in the engine.

Cheers.
heli

Post by heli »

Great.
Yes the rig is done in software.
I like the shapes so far its good enough already.
Once you send me the ship i add it in there, maybe it need some scaling for the height not width to fit.

Now for the spider-boss it just need some armor plates and guns so it really look bad-ass,
what i was looking for is eyes maybe you can add on top.
Then its done.

Adding the spider-boss will take quite a bit time with all those seperate parts.
Maybe you can try re-use smaller leg objects more often.
Ah whatever you decide.

I send you my email now thank you.
heli

Post by heli »

By the way i want the spider to be walking between the walls,
can your next screenshot have the legs in normal walking position with lets say the knees above the rest ?
heli

Post by heli »

I want the laser to look nice, it are two rotating 4 legged stars, they rotate the opposite direction,
the screenshot looks nice because it is well timed to see 8 legs in the hitstar,
when timed wrong there is only 1 star.
Big problem.

Plan : i am going to add unique music for each stage and boss.

I also need to lower GPU usage very much, while i just want to make a game.
I could program much and you wont notice a difference if you have good GPU.
All the .x files are loaded in a piece of default direct-x code,
It will have a index/vertex buffer for each object.
Whatever not my fault microsoft sucks.
I should copy into my own buffers.
Or do nothing most likely lazy.

Then i should re-program the whole asteroid section.
Now there is only 1 list, i should have a list for each type for swapping texture only once.
Only it dont matters if i dont have my own buffers and you a good card.
All the work is insane for a simple game.

The lose ends in the menu are fixed, only laser ammo and instructions are not there yet.