Suggestions for shmup similar to Mars Matrix please!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
AlexCamden

Suggestions for shmup similar to Mars Matrix please!

Post by AlexCamden »

Mars Matrix is my all time favorite. It’s what got me into the genre. I love the mechanic of sucking in bullets and then shooting them back out. With the limit on the amount you can do this it is such a fun and satisfying back and forth, always gauging if a bullet hell storm is dodgable or if it’s time to use the ability.

I’ve been searching for something ANYTHING similar to this kind of fun.

Plus the way you purchase lives and levels and content was super satisfying and engaging.

I’m frustrated with shmups that have infinite lives from the get go, making the only motivation being high score. This bores me.

Any help finding a new shmup would be appreciated!
SavagePencil

Re: Suggestions for shmup similar to Mars Matrix please!

Post by SavagePencil »

You will probably get more replies by moving this to the Development forum, not the Hardware forum: viewforum.php?f=9
EmperorIng

Re: Suggestions for shmup similar to Mars Matrix please!

Post by EmperorIng »

It should actually be moved to Shmups Chat 8)

You may be aware, but Takumi did a number of other shootemups centered around bullet reflecting. I would highly recommend checking out the Giga Wing series: Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, and Giga Wing Generations. While not -quite- as versatile as Mars Matrix, they offer a lot of challenge and a lot of fun figuring out how to suck up the most bullets and make then enemy who shot at you a million times say a second later "I wish I had not done that." GW/GW2 are on the dreamcast (a quick CDr burn or booting an iso in NullDC is all you need), while GWG is on the PS2 Japan only.

None of these games have the depth of Mars Matrix's shop, but that doesn't stop you from wanting to get better. In fact, Giga Wing's final boss can only be reached if you don't use any continues! So you have to learn how to improve yourself a lot, learning the game's shield mechanics, in order to truly beat and master the game. There are hours of fun to be had!

An indie shooter from Japan, RefleX - in case you haven't guessed it - is also built around reflecting bullets, but the system is more restrictive. It still comes recommended! It can be found on Steam.