Where to find full background tile/sprite sheets for DonPach

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
nekitu

Where to find full background tile/sprite sheets for DonPach

Post by nekitu »

Hi, working on a shmup myself, trying to emulate DoDonPachi style and hw more or less.
I wonder if I can find somewhere the background tile sets for that game or similar, I am interested how it is done.
Or if anyone knows some article about how the Cave game were made, what tools they used, techniques, etc.
Thanks.
casualcoder

Re: Where to find full background tile/sprite sheets for Don

Post by casualcoder »

I think their backgrounds/tiling methods are "what you see is what you get." What you might be noticing as different of this era from similar earlier titles is there is very little by the way of repeating tiles.

That's part of what gives Cave titles from this era their distinct look.

It's possible that on limited hardware they had to do some hacks like carve up the main sections into grid slices, but you will not have any such limitation developing in 2020.

Basically just go into photoshop (or whatever editor) and make one long background, then you can slice it up at regular intervals as a convenience (rather than requirement). Memory is not going to be an issue so you can pre-load the entire level even (it might be a few megabytes). That's it. Nothing special.
nekitu

Post by nekitu »

Yeah, I will probably use tiles and a tilemap editor, because its easier to re-use the tiles to make various backgrounds.
Tile-editing in PS without additional tools might be a bit cumbersome.
I still wonder if there are any footage or exe-s or anything about the tools used back in the day.
But I guess they're lost or in some floppy-vaults of the companies or individuals :)
Would be a great inspiration.

My current dev progress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsVZRbho0u0
Full channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5C-Zq ... 84Q/videos

(game thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66088)
Thanks
Last edited by nekitu on Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

If you want to go down the tile route, I can recommend "Tiled".
Spits out some formats that are easy to parse and implement, if you're writing everything by yourself anyway.

Back in the day Japanese studios used a lot of super custom stuff. While western development companies often relied on standard software (like for example Deluxe Paint for pixel graphics), they made their own sometimes using custom input devices, too (I've once seen a video about a custom pixel art software operated with an extended arcade joystick, with more buttons than usual, like you would operate something like Koala Painter on the C-64, but I can't remember the URL of that video)
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.