OSSS - Open Source Signal Switcher

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
strice

OSSS - Open Source Signal Switcher

Post by strice »

So the plan is to make a Video Switch (similar to the gscartsw or the Hydra) affordable and open source

The idea of it had nothing to do with those 2. I'm making my own game room with retro consoles, and due to the amount of consoles i own and i'm planning to buy, none of those really sufficed the requirements i had for the setup. So i started looking at the Extron Crosspoint series and they looked really good, until i looked at the 32 input price, even the 24 is pretty expensive. So i went around on the web to find a design for a diy scart switch (scart really is overrated....) and i found some, and im being really generous in saying this, shitty designs around the CBT3244, they didnt look that bad it is just poor electronics work.

So i decided to begin making my own switch at the beggining of this year and, since the trend nowadays is open source (ahmm OSSC), i went with the name OSSS for Open Source Signal Switcher. Funny uh?. For now i only have a schematic, which you can check out here:

https://easyeda.com/Strice/switch

First i would like to get some input on the schematic, if everything is ok, i'll proceed to ordering the required components to test it and ill make a prototype, if everything works correctly i'll continue on with the design and i'll make a proper board for it

Features:

- Inputs - Video (VGA), Audio (2.5mm jack)
- Outputs - 1 VGA + 2.5mm jack
- Input/Output video modes supported:
- All of them (As long as the cables in the VGA cables are in the pins that will go to the CBT3244)
- Video (CBT3244) and Audio (CD4066) switching separated
- This ensures that the signal lines for video stay clean
- ESP-01 WiFi module
- The plan is to be able to do all switching from the network
- 24LC256 EEPROM
- Storage for information relative to each input

Future features to be added:

- Power Controller (this probably should be a different box altogether)
- GamingTheSystems on youtube had the idea of adding power switches to each console's power adapter to avoid "zombie power"
- The idea here is the same only that the process of switching power and turning the console on is automatic
- More quantity and types of outputs

I will continue posting the development of the switcher in this thread.