Evorales. My first shmups.

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
hechelion

Evorales. My first shmups.

Post by hechelion »

Hi.
Like many shoot em up players, I always had the illusion of programming one.
For the past few years, I have been working on this project that I want to present to you, a vertical shoot up em up named "Evorales", inspired by nineties arcade classics such as the aero fighter, but with some more modern bullet hell mechanics, such as bullet time, scoring mechanics , etc.

I thought the game for 800x600 CRT monitor turned 90 degrees, but it can be played on any modern monitor. Programming it in NET + SFML, with graphics created from scratch in a pixelart style.

The game will have different paths to select, but if we want to give 1cc we will have to pass 6 levels, we will have 5 different ships, only 3 unlocked from the beginning.
My idea is to try to get an entertaining game for anyone from the beginning, but with a high level of challenge for those who want to deepen.

At the moment I do not have a playable beta available, and the only playable version I released is very old and I do not recommend it, but I hope within this year, release a playable version for people who want to try it and comment on possible improvements.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Thank for reading.
Tatsuya79

Re: Evorales. My first shmups.

Post by Tatsuya79 »

I'm disappointed Evo Morales isn't the pilot.
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Tatsuya79 wrote:I'm disappointed Evo Morales isn't the pilot.
That for the second part. Evorales revenge. :)
Leander

Post by Leander »

It looks really cool. I look forward to playing the demo :)
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

First and last public beta if someone like to try.

Beta 0.6.0.0
(SFML + NET 4.5)

Only left path is enable and the last level don't have the boss, for the rest, the game is fully playable.
Last edited by hechelion on Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Alerta! Alerta!

Hey, this is pretty good! Loving the whole espgaluda thing where you can slow stuff down and turn bullets into coins.
Does grazing do anything? I saw an effect on my ship when I was close to bullets but couldn't tell what it did.

It feels a little bit like it needs a slight kick up the arse, make the bullets and enemies a bit faster maybe. I don't know if others would agree with that, but it's good fun.
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Hi.

passing near the bullets gives you energy for the slow mode ("alma" mode), the blue bar at the bottom of the screen.

Originally the game was much more tactical and difficult, but I received several complaints about this in the closed beta, so I opted to reduce the difficulty and remove items such as the store. I would have to redo the levels to adapt the number of enemies and bullets to this new design, but that is something for later.

Thanks a lot for trying the game.
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

I have continued to develop my game.
I don't have much experience editing videos, but I tried to create a trailer that I hope will be liked.

https://youtu.be/ZZwXNn40kpA
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I had fun with the old demo, so I'm glad you're still working on this and looking forward to whatever comes next.
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Lethe wrote:I had fun with the old demo, so I'm glad you're still working on this and looking forward to whatever comes next.
I'm very glad you enjoy the demo.
I would like release the final version before end of year.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

The screenshots look great, but the graphics would be even better if the laser beams started from inside a proper weapon, not abruptly in midair.
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Ixmucane2 wrote:The screenshots look great, but the graphics would be even better if the laser beams started from inside a proper weapon, not abruptly in midair.
Thank very much. From the beginning I thought about it, but since it is a detail I left it for later.

EDIT:
Pixel Krisis

Post by Pixel Krisis »

Looks cool.

The name reminds me of Evo Morales.
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Hello again.
I haven't been here in a while.

I've finally finished Evorales and it has quite a few changes, like slowdowns and a pretty solid point mechanic.
I signed up for Steampartner to be able to publish the game, I had originally planned to publish it as a free game, but I have received comments that this could harm the image of the game, creating the idea that it is a bad game.

I'd like to ask what you guys think.
Do you discard a game for being free?
What would be the best strategy, publish it for free, charge 5 dollars or maybe 10?

I know that the price of a game depends on many other factors, but being my first game, and being programmed as a hobby, I have never started to calculate its sale value and as I mentioned, I had planned to release it for free, but now I have the doubt if it will be a good strategy or if it is better to charge something, so that the players do not have the feeling that it will be a bad game.

I appreciate your comments.

------------------------------------------

About the game, I leave new images and the key features that the game currently has.

--12 levels with their respective bosses, plus a hidden level.
--On arcade mode you can choose different paths every time.
--Different types of damage. Blue bullets deals more damage to biological units and yellow bullets deals more damage to mechanical units.
--4 aircraft to select, each one with its own abilities, strengths and weaknesses.
--Bullet time controlled by the player (Alma and Ultra modes).
--Slowdown controlled by the number of bullets and enemies on screen.
--Different mechanics to score.
--Achievements.
--Different endings depending on player's skills and the amount of secrets discovered along the way.

History

Every game needs a villain and this will be no exception.

Our villain does not stand out for his wickedness or his power, but for his envy to his neighbors, reaching the point of making a pact with a gnu-demon, who will give him the secret of the Alma technology.

A technology that transforms normal army into a powerful gnu-demon force able to defeat his neighbors.

But not everything is lost, since intel has managed to copy and implement this new technology, creating prototypes capables to standing up the gnu-demon army.

Will these prototypes change course of war?

Can you take command of these mighty aircrafts and control the Alma technology?

Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

Hi, the game looks good. With free games I don't always disregard them. There have been some decent ones like Kaikan and Blue Wish Resurrection. In each case I would pay money for them.

As for pricing, I buy a lot of indie/arcade games on ps4, the sweet spot for me to take a punt on a game is £5-6 which is about the same amount as the Hamster Arcade series. Ratalaika publish a lot of indie games and those are set out at £3.99. For a polished shooter which I know I am going to enjoy I will pay anything from £10-£20 thinking about titles like Zero Ranger, mushihimesama etc.
I hope this helps a little.

hechelion wrote:Hello again.
I haven't been here in a while.

I've finally finished Evorales and it has quite a few changes, like slowdowns and a pretty solid point mechanic.
I signed up for Steampartner to be able to publish the game, I had originally planned to publish it as a free game, but I have received comments that this could harm the image of the game, creating the idea that it is a bad game.

I'd like to ask what you guys think.
Do you discard a game for being free?
What would be the best strategy, publish it for free, charge 5 dollars or maybe 10?

I know that the price of a game depends on many other factors, but being my first game, and being programmed as a hobby, I have never started to calculate its sale value and as I mentioned, I had planned to release it for free, but now I have the doubt if it will be a good strategy or if it is better to charge something, so that the players do not have the feeling that it will be a bad game.

I appreciate your comments.

------------------------------------------

About the game, I leave new images and the key features that the game currently has.

--12 levels with their respective bosses, plus a hidden level.
--On arcade mode you can choose different paths every time.
--Different types of damage. Blue bullets deals more damage to biological units and yellow bullets deals more damage to mechanical units.
--4 aircraft to select, each one with its own abilities, strengths and weaknesses.
--Bullet time controlled by the player (Alma and Ultra modes).
--Slowdown controlled by the number of bullets and enemies on screen.
--Different mechanics to score.
--Achievements.
--Different endings depending on player's skills and the amount of secrets discovered along the way.

History

Every game needs a villain and this will be no exception.

Our villain does not stand out for his wickedness or his power, but for his envy to his neighbors, reaching the point of making a pact with a gnu-demon, who will give him the secret of the Alma technology.

A technology that transforms normal army into a powerful gnu-demon force able to defeat his neighbors.

But not everything is lost, since intel has managed to copy and implement this new technology, creating prototypes capables to standing up the gnu-demon army.

Will these prototypes change course of war?

Can you take command of these mighty aircrafts and control the Alma technology?

hechelion

Post by hechelion »

thank a lot
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

I took a survey and 80% thought it was better to charge something, so in the end the game will be worth $ 5.99.
I'm going to distribute the game on itch.io and on steam.

I leave the links in case there is someone interested.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1682840/Evorales/
https://hechelion.itch.io/evorales

If someone wants to try the game and can't pay, send me a private.