shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:12 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: VariaBULLET2D Projectile System (Create Patterns Visuall
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:35 pm 

All of these aspects of collisions/globalshotmanager is covered in the System guide:
https://neondagger.com/variabullet2d-system-guide/

The reason why the explosion prefabs are referenced by the string name rather than directly loading in the inspector is because it would mean every shot or collidable object would have an instance of the explosion loaded into memory. It's better to just have a pool of explosions that can be referenced by any object in the scene that needs it.

But the problem isn't with the string itself, but more likely you're loading the explosions in the wrong GlobalShotManager.

I've separated the GlobalShotManager used in demos as the one in the "Demo" folder and the one that you should be using for your own projects in the root folder.

Check out the paragraph in the System guide referenced above for a clearer description:
https://neondagger.com/variabullet2d-system-guide/#globalshotmanager

You can force instantiation of the correct GlobalShotManager by attaching the "ForceGlobalShotManager" script to a persistent gameobject (EG, Camera) and make sure "Demo Version" is unchecked.
https://neondagger.com/variabullet2d-system-guide/#lazy-vs-forced-instantiation

At the bottom of the guide is a checklist of common hiccups to look out for:
https://neondagger.com/variabullet2d-system-guide/#troubleshooting

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:05 pm 

I feel glad that I have experimented with your asset more, and it became very easy for me to make derived classes thanks to well-documented and component-based code.

I managed to create a derived class from ShotCollisionDamage that enables children to explode instantly and modified base to allow objects with ShotCollisionDamage to instantly explode on command. Comes in handy for multiple parts to explode. I don't know of any pre-existing solutions yet, but made one up myself.

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you're interested in seeing some changes that might come in handy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:45 am 

MrJBRPG wrote:
I managed to create a derived class from ShotCollisionDamage that enables children to explode instantly and modified base to allow objects with ShotCollisionDamage to instantly explode on command. Comes in handy for multiple parts to explode. I don't know of any pre-existing solutions yet, but made one up myself..

Ah, very cool! That's a neat little extension. I definitely see the utility in that.

I'll be looking to add to VB very soon here and I got your email and will probably hit you up for some recommends and/or your solutions to potentially add to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 pm 

I have played around with your demo scenes more and noticed that while bullets will go out of bounds for a certain time until destroyed or re-pooled. However, all laser shots are not removed when going out of bounds. I have even tested that on your Horizontal Shooter demo scene. with the packet laser being shot from boss object, and they never get destroyed, with and without enclosure boxes. Can you find a way to destroy bullets after exiting the screen boundaries, translating from pixel to world coordinates?

I also discovered that the default packet laser actually stops stretching and will not move until the laser is released. My project has much bigger play field and lower numbers of pixels per unit compared to your sample projects. I wonder how that works and whether you can enable users to set limits on stretching.

One more thing, is there a way to allow laser packets by creating multiple copies of multiple unique middle sections? Several shooting games have lasers that have spiral-like animations around the 'tube'.

Offline Profile