STGBuilder English Patch (v1.02 / 18.06.18)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
DrBlowhole20

STGBuilder English Patch (v1.02 / 18.06.18)

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

It's finally here! After almost one month of translation work, STGBuilder version 0.99.89's fanmade english patch is ready for use!

FAQ:
What's STGBuilder?:
STGBuilder has been, for a decade, a japanese-only software that allowed users to make their own Shoot 'em ups games with a unique interface, entirely used without the use of a scripting language thanks to its complex driven grid eventing system. It has been a success for several japanese doujin games such as Mecha Ritz, Graze Counter, the Infinos series, Kirisame Blade 2, etc.
However, this saw a rise of a english community who wants to get hands on this software since many years ago, and today, a english patch rises up from its ashes.

Has there any been word from the original author?
In the past there were no plans for an official English translation but the latter has been confirmed for the next upcoming STGBuilder version, however, that'll take months.

What about the documentation, tutorials, etc.?
We're planning to translate that as shortly, but we start with a simple beginner tutorial as a warmup. Stay tuned!

Download patch:
YOU MUST USE STGBUILDER VERSION 0.99.89 FOR THIS PATCH. LATER VERSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED TO WORK!
Please do not ask me to make the patches for the latest versions. btw.

How to apply the patch:
1. Make sure you have downloaded STGBuilder 0.99.89 from the official site. Get it here: http://firestorage.jp/download/092f354d ... 018228d3e6
2. Download the patch in the link below.
3. Drag the patch files in your STGBuilder directory. The dlls should load the program with patched strings and incorporated japanese locale in it.

Download: https://mega.nz/#!GsAk3AAI!Tfp7zgVzsaTf ... _GLMSMz7F8

Changelog:

Code: Select all

Version 1.02 (18/06/18)
-The gate numbers in the Script Editor's grid will show properly.
-Fixed some typos and translation errors.

Version 1.01 (16/06/18)
-Fixed a string error in the Entity Editor's type list.

Version 1.00 (16/06/18)
-First version, translation may not be fully accurate so feel free to share feedback!
-Nearly ALL the strings have been translated.
Known problems:

-In the Player Editor, when you make a new weapon, the default name is created with the japanese string. Not a very troublemaking bug.
-Script Editor's translation is partially completed, all the function properties have been translated but the function names aren't translated on the title of the properties + the name width and positions from the grid's panels aren't optimized yet.
-Also related to the Script Editor, the "Loop start" and "Loop end" are both displayed as "Loop", so make sure you memorize the "start" is the 1st loop function, while the "end" is the 2nd loop function, example here: https://i.imgur.com/xYwJxPY.png
Translation team:
sc00pj0hn - Project founder, resource hacker, translator.
longbyte1 - Programmer, resource hacker, translator.
Ryann1908 - Minor translator.
YPwn - Programmer, DLL hacker.
Last edited by DrBlowhole20 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DrBlowhole20

Re: STGBuilder English Patch (v1.00 / 16.06.18)

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

Lol, apparently i have to fix something for the minor update.

Version 1.01
Download: https://mega.nz/#!C14nwRyD!LvoJIA6rVAd- ... kBpQvdFXVk

Changelog:

-Fixed a string error in the Entity Editor's type list.
EmperorIng

Re: STGBuilder English Patch (v1.01 / 16.06.18)

Post by EmperorIng »

I can't wait to try this out. I'll have to play around with it later tonight. It's impressive how fast you guys moved; only a few weeks and this is already in a workable state!
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

Oh, i forgot, i should post my discord server here: https://discord.gg/sBg3Ws7 for those who need support and help, aswell i'll be allowing someone to spot errors in the translation!
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

Version 1.02 is out.

Changelog:

Version 1.02 (18/06/18)
-The gate numbers in the Script Editor's grid will show properly.
-Fixed some typos and translation errors.
Download here: https://mega.nz/#!GsAk3AAI!Tfp7zgVzsaTf ... _GLMSMz7F8
EmperorIng

Re: STGBuilder English Patch (v1.02 / 18.06.18)

Post by EmperorIng »

If I already have a pre-patched file, can I just replace it with the new patched SB.exe, or do I need to patch the original Japanese file?
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

EmperorIng wrote:If I already have a pre-patched file, can I just replace it with the new patched SB.exe, or do I need to patch the original Japanese file?
Even without replacing the SB.exe file, it still works since the program saves the program's settings on the registry.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

I'll be posting my work in progress document regarding the first steps in using STGBuilder: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... v0.2.0.pdf

In time, this document will get updated as i progress into watching the beginner videos.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

DrBlowhole20 wrote:I'll be posting my work in progress document regarding the first steps in using STGBuilder: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... v0.2.0.pdf

In time, this document will get updated as i progress into watching the beginner videos.
I also have good news for those wanting to publish STG Builder Games on a different platform, albeit in Japanese:

https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 2779078658

This might also be a good opportunity to talk with EXA Arcadia about STG Builder with English Patch.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

DrBlowhole20 wrote:I'll be posting my work in progress document regarding the first steps in using STGBuilder: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... v0.2.0.pdf

Link to PDF is broken.

Anyways, good job on the translation patch, I liked it. I always wanted to make a shmup.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

https://mega.nz/#!3kxHhIIK!ThBjUr4WV5JB ... 3tKvDTlDqM Here's a link to the latest version of my guide. This should do it.

And... i have an announcement regarding the future of this english patch. PLEASE READ!!!
The development of the fanmaded english patch has been put on hold indefinitely due to STGBuilder recieving minor updates and YPwn currently busy with other projects as i've never ought to speak with him anymore. As the New STGBuilder is still on development, i've only tried to get in contact with SB on 13th August, only to recieve the report that development is at around 30%-40%. Considering much time passed ever since i've messaged him, the development may have progressed through 40%-45% ish or maybe even almost the half of completion?

As SB will be planning to release the new STGBuilder with a new, refined tutorial/manual, it would be safe to say that i will no longer update the PDF guide due to me losing the focus on using the program, for now. This project was a quite fun thing to do, but for me unfortunately it was a big fatigue. The sad thing is that i will not re-do it for any future versions of the current STGBuilder, so please consider this patch is made for the version v0.99.89. If you want to use the current version with more bug fixes, you'd better be accomodating with the japanese language. Or just wait the New STGBuilder with the refined GUI, which you'll have to wait for several months.

Thank you for understanding.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I have to say I've appreciated all of your efforts to bring this program to a wider audience. It will be a great resource in the future (hopefully along with the new STGBuilder) for people wanting to dabble in creating games in the genre. You did a great job! :mrgreen:

The documentation is very helpful as well; I wouldn't have been able to understand what most of these functions do through sheer brute force.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

EmperorIng wrote:I have to say I've appreciated all of your efforts to bring this program to a wider audience. It will be a great resource in the future (hopefully along with the new STGBuilder) for people wanting to dabble in creating games in the genre. You did a great job! :mrgreen:

The documentation is very helpful as well; I wouldn't have been able to understand what most of these functions do through sheer brute force.
The PDF i've made is actually based off the three-parter beginner video tutorials i came across on NicoNico Douga. From what i know, i wanted to finish the beginner tutorial by incorporating the last part of the video series into text, which actually explains a little more about messing around the settings and how to make a boss, but i was too busy with something else so i couldn't bother finishing it.

Despite my efforts to bring up a discord server for everything STGBuilder related, i haven't yet soght of a first game done by a non-Japanese user. This explains that STGBuilder's worldwide popularity still need more power.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

And another good news. By the last time i've contacted SB via twitter once again, a spark of hope has enlightened.

The development of the new STGBuilder is going near to finish in few months, and aswell a new, fresh, documentation will be done for the new version. Incase you don't know, i have a link to one of SB's twitters showing how the new version will look like: https://twitter.com/StgBuilder/status/1 ... 4763936768
It'll be a "mirage" to wait for this, but i'll acknowledge that i could predict for a possible release on December or the start of the next year. We'll see. Patience is a virtue.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

So I tried downloading STG builder and the 1.02 english patch from your link, but running either the english or the original exe just gives an error saying that SB_DLL.dll and SB_CORE_DLL.dll can't be found, despite them being in the same directory. Any ideas?
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

cave hermit wrote:So I tried downloading STG builder and the 1.02 english patch from your link, but running either the english or the original exe just gives an error saying that SB_DLL.dll and SB_CORE_DLL.dll can't be found, despite them being in the same directory. Any ideas?
SB_DLL and SB_CORE_DLL are supposed to be in the main directory where the SB.exe file resides, but since i don't know if you even have those found in the original program, i'll provide the dlls in this download right here: https://mega.nz/#!i8pgFApR!vB5_DU_OGftO ... Nw_3HgrkX4

Place them in the main directory where the program is contained.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

It is time for the fan-translation patch project to come to an true end soon, because the time has been drawing near.

After 11 years, i am proud to state that the waiting is nearly over. SB, the creator of STGBuilder, has opened alpha testing submissions on his twitter for the long-awaited version 1.0, which will definitely mark STGBuilder's true debut to the international community. However, as this is ONLY a alpha testing branch, i'd gurantee that this is not the final build of the game engine and that there is still some time to wait before the public stable release. I would like to wish thanks to everyone who have partecipated and been involved in this project, and that i couldn't have done it without your help.

As now the alpha testing branch is open, i'd declare that the english patch has been canned in favor with the alpha testing. Thank you for understanding. If you want to have a alpha test build yourself, make sure to go to his Twitter account and send him a DM that you would like to partecipate. Use basic english, and enjoy! https://twitter.com/StgBuilder
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

DrBlowhole20 wrote:It is time for the fan-translation patch project to come to an true end soon, because the time has been drawing near.

After 11 years, i am proud to state that the waiting is nearly over. SB, the creator of STGBuilder, has opened alpha testing submissions on his twitter for the long-awaited version 1.0, which will definitely mark STGBuilder's true debut to the international community. However, as this is ONLY a alpha testing branch, i'd gurantee that this is not the final build of the game engine and that there is still some time to wait before the public stable release. I would like to wish thanks to everyone who have partecipated and been involved in this project, and that i couldn't have done it without your help.

As now the alpha testing branch is open, i'd declare that the english patch has been canned in favor with the alpha testing. Thank you for understanding. If you want to have a alpha test build yourself, make sure to go to his Twitter account and send him a DM that you would like to partecipate. Use basic english, and enjoy! https://twitter.com/StgBuilder

I feel very happy that STGBuilder is finally opening up doors to the international community; and even if you no longer decide to do fan translation, you can still help out in the alpha since you can better provide feedback into more English-friendly user experience.

I wish you luck pursuing other things.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

MrJBRPG wrote:
DrBlowhole20 wrote:It is time for the fan-translation patch project to come to an true end soon, because the time has been drawing near.

I feel very happy that STGBuilder is finally opening up doors to the international community; and even if you no longer decide to do fan translation, you can still help out in the alpha since you can better provide feedback into more English-friendly user experience.

I wish you luck pursuing other things.
11/12 years is really enough time we waited for something like this. I've been trying to spread the word for this so hard, but thanks to myself, the dream has come true.
I might be removing the link from my forum signature, as it marks the end of support of the patch. I'd recommend anyone else who sees this to go on and contact SB for requesting the alpha testing, so that we can show the worldwide love for his amazing game engine.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Are there any tangible news regarding this?

There's been no official announcement concerning the English version and SB obviously does not respond to twitter messages (I heard this from several people who tried to contact him, I also tried myself and there was a wall of silence).
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

I went through part 3 of the nicovideo tutorial, thinking I might write it up. In summary, the video covers: the creation of a basic boss (with destructable "turrets"), a title screen (without menu), use of the "build" function, "layout" (i.e. game-UI), custom font (spritesheet), basic use of the "formation" and "barrage" entities. While all essential information, the tutorial stops short of explaining anything that would allow making a unique game. Even things like having enemies appear at the side of the screen, powering-up per level, bullet cancelling, lasers, etc., etc. have no obvious solution. Any advanced usage of scripting basically.

At the moment, someone looking at this should probably be patient for the official English version. While a person could probably figure things out, it's too much trial-and-error without better information. It's also difficult to invest much time in such a black-box application (slowdown happens surprisingly easily).

Back to building my own engine I suppose (in my tests, Lua with Love2d seems like it could handle hundreds of bullets). Playing with STG-Builder was useful at least to see how another dev implemented some things.
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)
madman467467378

Post by madman467467378 »

Hi guys,

i am very interested in this STG Builder. Already looked into it and it looks very interesting. But what happened? I could not find any info on the english version. Is it still in development?
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

Srry for bump, but I get errors when trying to run the SB english exe. I followed the instructions; extracted the contents of the patch directly into the SB directory in my clean Downloads folder. Some jp text with 'DLL' in there in ~3 error messages (I'll post copies/screenshots when I can). I've tested this on two different machines, but both were running win 10. Do I need to run this in win 7/XP or am I doing something else wrong?

The master post instructs to use STG builder version 0.99.89, however, the link in the post takes me to download 0.99.88. This could be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue, and much appreciation for the translation work!
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

You probably need the correct version. Found this link: http://firestorage.com/download/da097e8 ... 04ff982df1.

The English version seems permanently cancelled, see forum thread here.

At this point, I'd suggest that it's easier to get started with Danmakufu or LuaSTG.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

Krushal wrote:You probably need the correct version. Found this link: http://firestorage.com/download/da097e8 ... 04ff982df1.

The English version seems permanently cancelled, see forum thread here.

At this point, I'd suggest that it's easier to get started with Danmakufu or LuaSTG.
Thank you, I'll give that version a try later today.
Yeah, I'm aware that the en patch has been abandoned since 2019 or so, but I wanted to see how viable STG builder was, and how easy/painful it was to work with. Thanks for the recommended alts too.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

I really have had no luck running shooting game builder at all, with or without the english patch. Is there something I am supposed to do with the DLLs? Do I need to be using an older version of Windows? I'm tried on win 10, and tried with compatibility modes and could get nothing but these error messages.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

It works on Windows 10 for me, without compatibility mode. My best guess is that you need some Microsoft Visual C++ runtime installed, not sure what version (there's 15 of them on my laptop :? ). Maybe try "vcredist_2015_x86".

If you're on Discord, a long shot might be to ask on the Bullet Hell Engines server.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

At least the official English support is live, and beta builds are constantly being released with English and Japanese language support.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/stgbuilder/arch ... 23646.html