Single screen shmups?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Mux

Single screen shmups?

Post by Mux »

Hi all!

New(ish) to the forum but been lurking for a while. Odd question... and I don't know if this is the right section but is anyone developing / does anyone know of any good single screen shmups? By single screen I mean non-scrolling (galaga, galaxian, Juno first, etc) which all rely on pattern memorization and strategy, at least IMO.

I love the simplicity of this type of shmup and I'm interested in how to ramp up difficulty, pace and what not..

Any links / hints / tips welcome!

-Mux
Shepardus

Re: Single screen shmups?

Post by Shepardus »

Probably best to post this in Shmups Chat (which is generally more active than Development) unless you've got specific design or technical questions. Also check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52290

Space Bomber is decidedly more modern than what you've listed and also features two-dimensional movement which is quite unlike most fixed-screen shmups, but it's a great game and you should check it out.

Battlantis is an interesting take on the Space Invaders formula with strong, but also quite brutal, level design.

Galaga '88 has a system where you can collect certain items to gain access to more difficult paths, which it sounds like you would be interested in. I haven't played it much but from what I can tell it's a nice evolution of classic Galaga.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube