Energy Core: A Twin-Stick Shooter I made full of fun bosses

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Wschmidth

Energy Core: A Twin-Stick Shooter I made full of fun bosses

Post by Wschmidth »

Hi, this is a game I've been working on for several months now. I've been doing small playtesting sessions throughout the whole process, but now I really want to get this prototype out there for some real shmup fans to try out.

I just want some of you to give it a shot and give me some honest feedback (be harsh). You can download the prototype here. Only thing I should tell you before you play is that it requires a controller, but I will have keyboard + mouse controls in the future.

Thank you in advance if you try the game, but an even bigger thank you if you take the time to fill out this quick survey. It's only 5 questions long.

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Sai'ke

Re: Energy Core: A Twin-Stick Shooter I made full of fun bos

Post by Sai'ke »

Um, I got a screen with two panels that read "press A to join" but my controller wasn't being recognized.

I tried fiddling with the "input" panel, but even after attempting to set my joystick, I couldn't get past the title screen.
Wschmidth

Post by Wschmidth »

Sai'ke wrote:Um, I got a screen with two panels that read "press A to join" but my controller wasn't being recognized.
I'm guessing you plugged in your controller after starting the game. Try plugging it in before you open the game then try again.

This is an issue with Unity, I need to wait until I can afford a specific asset before I can reliably detect controllers plugged in while the gaming is running.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Having to buy proper controller support from an asset store :| I don't blame you for it, but that sounds rough.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Out of curiosity, what kind of controller issues are there exactly?

I sometimes use a Wii Classic Controller Pro plugged to a PC adaptator -which I suppose is a DirectInput controller- in my own project and on Windows, Unity's default start-up config window is able to recognize and bind inputs coming from it, without any specific asset involved.
However, I haven't dabbled too much into it so maybe there is some additionnal complexity I'm missing?
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Wschmidth

Post by Wschmidth »

It's such a bizarre issue. If you have multiple controllers plugged in, and at least one of them is a 360/Xbone controller, the game won't be able to tell the triggers apart properly. Let's say you have 2 controllers plugged in, let's call them P1 and P2. If P1 presses the L Trigger, it could result in any number of combinations like the game thinking you pressed P2's R Trigger, maybe you pressed P1 and P2's L Triggers, or maybe you pressed P1 and P2's L AND R Triggers.

I don't have much experience with other engines, but apparently it's not just a Unity issue, something to do with how Microsoft designed their triggers.
Sai'ke

Post by Sai'ke »

Nope. Controller was definitely plugged in already. I tried it again today.

Maybe you can ask the guy who is making blast pulser (thread here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62206 ) for help. He seems to have the same opening window and is also working with unity, but in his game the controller just works right off the bat. I even tried starting the two games after each other with the exact same configuration (same USB port being used).
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Wschmidt : Ah, so it's XInput that can be troublesome!
I haven't tested my project with such a controller, that's why I didn't run into that issue.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project