Unnamed Cyberpunk Shooter

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Darckonte

Unnamed Cyberpunk Shooter

Post by Darckonte »

Hello friends!

Long time since I last posted here, really because didn't have something relevant to show untill now.

I'm ironing some details on my next shmup game and I wanted to grab some feedback from people that likes the genre.

I leave you two videos of gameplay I want to know if you agree with the visibility of general enemies or if you see it too complicated.

also what do you think of enemy design / aspect of the game.

Thanks!

Video Log 03 - New game level

Your feedback is very welcome!

The pack has become available in unity3d asset store, you can find additional info here:
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/ ... pack-18008
Last edited by Darckonte on Thu May 10, 2018 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xyga

Re: Unnamed Cyberpunk Shooter

Post by Xyga »

Nice background! And I like those 'bubble' pink bullets.

But the player ship itself and some small enemies fade into the background a bit...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Darckonte

Post by Darckonte »

Xyga wrote:Nice background! And I like those 'bubble' pink bullets.

But the player ship itself and some small enemies fade into the background a bit...
Thanks! will try to add some trail to the player and maybe change the color schema for small enemies.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

The art-style is pretty! And a cyberpunk setting in a shmup is always welcome!

I agree with Xyga on the visibility problems.
Not only it can be difficult to see where your ship is due to the background, but some of the in-game elements also need retooling to improve the overall lisibility of the game.
Bullets should always, always be on top of everything, but your laser obscures half of the boss bulelts' sprite. Also, the bullets and the laser having a very similar color does not help. Aside from the camera layer priority and color changes, I would also suggest a black outline over the bullets to make them stand out more.
The items are rather distracting. They seem to be on the same visual plane as the enemies and also cover the bullets.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Darckonte

Post by Darckonte »

M.Knight wrote:The art-style is pretty! And a cyberpunk setting in a shmup is always welcome!

I agree with Xyga on the visibility problems.
Not only it can be difficult to see where your ship is due to the background, but some of the in-game elements also need retooling to improve the overall lisibility of the game.
Bullets should always, always be on top of everything, but your laser obscures half of the boss bulelts' sprite. Also, the bullets and the laser having a very similar color does not help. Aside from the camera layer priority and color changes, I would also suggest a black outline over the bullets to make them stand out more.
The items are rather distracting. They seem to be on the same visual plane as the enemies and also cover the bullets.
Thanks I'll take all this into account and for the next iteration! thanks very much for your input guys. After working too much time on something one can lose perspective and its good to have some input. As this is one person only work I trend to lose this "perpective" of changes. Thanks.
Darckonte

Post by Darckonte »

Added a new progress video.

I think this time there is better level readability.

Link to Video

I hope you like it. :) any additional feedback is very welcome.
clippa

Post by clippa »

This looks really good!
Darckonte

Post by Darckonte »

clippa wrote:This looks really good!
Thanks!!
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

You have improved the lisibility since last time, that's good!
Bullets in particular are easier to see, the laser no longer obscures them, and the items don't interfere with lisibility anymore. Nice improvements on that front.
However the player ship's position can still be difficult to jauge because of how flashy the shot is. When you shoot, there are a bunch of yellow flares around the ship that hide it. The ship is already kinda tiny to begin with so this makes it harder to know exactly where it is.

Additionally, your purple inverted-V item looks like a bullet given how it shares a similar color scheme. And the screenshake is just way too sudden. It's more like screen-jumping. Not to mention the use of screenshake itself, which I am not fond of due to how distracting it is, but you can set up toggle/slider options to satisfy everyone.

Visual aspects aside, is the ship movement analog or is it so fast that it looks analog on a video?

One last note : I hear a screeching sound in your video when I turn the volume up a bit.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Darckonte

Post by Darckonte »

M.Knight wrote:You have improved the lisibility since last time, that's good!
Bullets in particular are easier to see, the laser no longer obscures them, and the items don't interfere with lisibility anymore. Nice improvements on that front.
However the player ship's position can still be difficult to jauge because of how flashy the shot is. When you shoot, there are a bunch of yellow flares around the ship that hide it. The ship is already kinda tiny to begin with so this makes it harder to know exactly where it is.

Additionally, your purple inverted-V item looks like a bullet given how it shares a similar color scheme. And the screenshake is just way too sudden. It's more like screen-jumping. Not to mention the use of screenshake itself, which I am not fond of due to how distracting it is, but you can set up toggle/slider options to satisfy everyone.

Visual aspects aside, is the ship movement analog or is it so fast that it looks analog on a video?

One last note : I hear a screeching sound in your video when I turn the volume up a bit.
Thanks!

I'll review some of the points you said.

BTW soon this will be released as an Unity3D asset, in the asset store. so I want to polish the first level but I'll try to focus more on functionality. As people will like to use the tools to create their own games.
Darckonte

Post by Darckonte »

And here's a video on how to create bullet patterns.

https://youtu.be/NdHGITjWKVg