Paging Mr. Nullpointer...

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Bosuonparedo

Paging Mr. Nullpointer...

Post by Bosuonparedo »

Hey, Nullpointer, is there any reason you don't have links to your shmup project pages on your main site?
On that note, is Endless Fire almost done? I was really really really looking forward to it, moreso than Bullet Eater even.
nullpointer

Post by nullpointer »

Hey Boson,,

Yep Endless FIre, Its nearly there, just making it save scores.
Will put a version on line soon. and post links here of course.
Might have to wait till start of Feb coz my website is over bandwidth (again!)... endless fire is more of a fun thing than bullet eater..
Its a good excuse to try out some bullet patterns and crazy screen effects.
I havent linked stuff from the main page of my site just coz its not really done yet.. and i'm tinering with the idea of getting another domain for my games software stuff.. but.. as always the mind moves faster than the wage... ;)

thanks for the interest..
Bosuonparedo

Post by Bosuonparedo »

You're welcome.

Out of curiosity, do you code bullet routines and patterns by hand, or do you use something like BulletML?
nullpointer

Post by nullpointer »

at the risk of feeling like i'm monopolizing things
(very nice that people are into my stuff though)
Out of curiosity, do you code bullet routines and patterns by hand, or do you use something like BulletML?
I do them by hand.. except in endless fire some of them are based on simple trigonometry with evolving parameters.. like spirograph (anyone remember!) the others are often variations on a simple theme..
i.e. aimed bullet..>>> bunch of aimed bullets with slight random variation
etc.. many bullet patterns are just variations on standard effects.
Theres a cool program called sdmkun-1.5.7
http://shinh.skr.jp/sdmkun/
that uses bulletml to show lots of patterns from classic shmups..
I check it out to get inspiration now and again..
might use bulletml for my next stuff though.....
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I gave sdmkun a try, it's pretty fun. It was nice to see some familiar patterns, though some of them felt a bit off-target. For example, XII Stag's 3rd boss attack pattern is too fast and feels to have some extra bullets.

But yeah, great for keeping up your dodging skills when you don't feel like playing an actual shmup.

Also, http://shinh.skr.jp/sdmkun/sdmkun.gif = sexiest gif animation ever.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos