I made another shmup. This one is green.

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
CaptainKraken

I made another shmup. This one is green.

Post by CaptainKraken »

Very green.

Ahoy!
I made a thing a while ago but didn't post it here because, in my infinite wisdom, I subconsciously assumed that, because it's made in scratch, it's not "hardcore"
enough for all of the shmuppers on the stg forum.

Well, it certainly isn't hardcore enough for me anymore. I'm learning java now, so hopefully soon I'll be able to make something with that.

Anyway, here is the thing I made.
Green Ship: Overkill

It's short (3 stages), but I think I did ok with the stage design and whatnot.
I'm especially happy with the TLB.

I'm not working on this anymore, so any feedback I get will be kept in mind for whatever game I make next.

This is a danmaku game that I made to challenge myself.

Known issues:
It's made in scratch, which means it won't run very well. (I use a laptop, and decreasing the screen resolution helps with performance)
People have said the TLB is too RNG-heavy, is that true and is it ok to use RNG for bullet patterns?
The 'art' is simple because I spent all of my effort on the level design and patterns.

So, uh, enjoy, I guess.
And please tell me what you think of it
(aside from the performance and art, I know those are less than perfect)

I'm looking here for feedback because people on the scratch forum don't even know what a "shmup" is. :P
Squire Grooktook wrote:Make a game because there's something you want to exist that doesn't.
Shooting game never die!
blackpawn

Re: I made another shmup. This one is green.

Post by blackpawn »

Nice! Thanks for sharing I just had a lot of fun with it :) I made it to the boss and got a greenest score of 23603 so far. :D The arrow keys on my laptop suck though so I'll retry on my PC later.
blackpawn

Post by blackpawn »

For feedback, something that stood out to me for some reason is the player firing sound effect. Instead of a high pitched dwop dwop dwop maybe something lower pitched and smoother like dwub dwub dwub? haha maybe you'll know what I mean. The current sound feels a bit out of place to me and distracting when I think it can be better if it can take a background role to other sounds. If you haven't come across it before this sfxr (and derived) tools can be nice for making sound effects http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html I'm using it for sounds in my shmup.
CaptainKraken

Post by CaptainKraken »

blackpawn wrote:Nice! Thanks for sharing I just had a lot of fun with it :) I made it to the boss and got a greenest score of 23603 so far. :D
Glad you liked it! The high score doesn't seem to work but there's really nothing I can do about that. : P

Haha, the shot sound? It's actually one of the stock sounds that comes with scratch, but edited to make it less terrible sounding.
Imagine what it originally sounded like XD

I will look into making original sfx for whatever I choose to do next.

Thank you for the feedback!
Squire Grooktook wrote:Make a game because there's something you want to exist that doesn't.
Shooting game never die!
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I like this game. It reminds me of the old days of Newgrounds.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
CaptainKraken

Post by CaptainKraken »

Lord Satori wrote:I like this game. It reminds me of the old days of Newgrounds.
Thanks!
What did you like/dislike about it so I’ll know for next time?
Shooting game never die!