shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:56 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Remote Weapon GunFencer [shmup with Caravan-style scorin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:58 pm 

One of the recurring aspects of Caravan shmups are secret bonuses, and I relaized that was missing from my own game. If some of you guys played Macross 2 for example, you know how exciting it can be.
So now there are some Special Bonuses that can be triggered on specific enemies to score even more. Here's an example that's directly inspired by Star Soldier's simultaneous destruction bonus :

https://streamable.com/19u1v

I always try to ensure those bonuses don't get in the way of the main scoring systems, so none of the Special Bonuses should have you delay enemy destructions, but who knows. I also plan to have Special Bonuses for some bosses.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:27 pm 

I added a little sequence at the end of each stage as a recap for the enemies destroyed, items collected, etc.
Here the footage was in Stage Select mode so the stage ends afterwards, but the sequence can also be used in the Arcade mode to provide closure to the stage and prepare a transition to the next.

And for the record, the heroine's clothes can change depending on the settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_YylOf4QUo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:36 pm 

I was hoping maybe you could give the protagonist a voice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 pm 

It would be nice to have I guess, but it's definitely out of my budget, scope, priorities, etc.
I am just a guy in his room making the game alone during his free time, so the only hypothetical option for such a feature I can think of would be the bleeps and bloops you can hear in some JRPGs when characters talk, but that mostly works for slower paced games where the dialogue isn't displayed all at once like it is here.

In any case, thanks for your interest!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:05 pm 

Man, I think a voice would definitely suit Emily... Anyway, when is the game coming out?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 pm 

All I can say is the usual "when it's done".
While adding some game content to the game (enemies and waves) isn't too tricky for me, there still are a lot of things I haven't completely figured out yet nor implemented, the most important one being music.
I would still like to release a new demo with more polish and QoL than the previous one so there might something looking forward to despite the game not being completed yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:40 pm 

Hope it doesn't take too long, I'm considering trying this baby.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:04 am 

After a bit more than a year since the previous release, here is the newest demo : https://mknight.itch.io/remote-weapon-gunfencer
It mostly added some polish and ​features to the pre-existing 3 stages that were playable in the previous build. The exact list of changes is pretty big given the time gap bewteen the two releases so here's a summarized list of new things you can find in this build :

-Visibility improvements to the main game, with darker backgrounds and slower camera movements to help focus on the action and the foreground elements. Point counts when destroying enemies and picking up medals are also toggleable and off by default.
-Addition of a test room feature, which is an endless stage with harmless enemies. It can be used to test the controls and most mechanics in the game.
-Reorganization of the main and option menus, with their own submenus.
-New color schemes for the GunFencer
-Recap screen at the end of each stage
-Special Bonuses triggered by performing specific actions on some enemy types
-Bosses summon helper enemies in a dynamic way (the faster you destroy them, the more spawn)
-Some enemy waves and boss patterns adjustments
-Life cap at 3 (but all midbosses spawn a 1UP)
-New animated opening video
-Improved Sword slash effects
-Some enemies can fire destroyable bullets
-VSync ON and OFF options (when launching the game). The game logic should also be framerate-independant but I haven't tested it on a 144Hz monitor to confirm.
-Analog inputs for shot/sword/bomb
-One new outfit for Emily, the game's heroine
-Additional visuals in the VN-style tutorial segment to illustrate the topics discussed

[Note : The Mac version has not been tested on an actual machine, so there is no guarantee it will work as intended]​

Offline Profile