Crowdfunding yay or nay?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Neowing E.X.E.

Crowdfunding yay or nay?

Post by Neowing E.X.E. »

The concept of Neowing E.X.E. is on kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... eowing-exe

We have started creating the game in Game Maker but was hoping to hire a full time developer/programmer(s).
What are your thoughts on our kickstarter page?

MsK`

Re: Crowdfunding yay or nay?

Post by MsK` »

We succeeded at funding a bit of Pawarumi through Kickstarter back in May. It was really hard but we eventually barely made it. Kickstarter isn't that great anymore for video games, even worse for shoot'em ups. It's all about tabletop games now! Maybe try to make a tabletop shmup? :D (I'd actually love to work on a tabletop version of pawarumi...)
Dodge the bullet, save the world.
Working on Pawarumi, check it out!
My twitter | Manufacture 43's Twitter
TheDogCatcher

Post by TheDogCatcher »

I think the crowdfunding bubble may have burst, I've worked on a couple of games that had kickstarters, the first was successful and raised more than was asked for, the second project (the sequel to the first one) didn't make it.

The trouble is there have been quite a few games that have failed to deliver, some of them quite high profile, and this has erroded the confidence of backers. To be honest I always thought this would happen, games quite often fail to live up to the hype (even big budget AAA titles) , this is bad enough when it happens to regular releases but when someone has personally invested in a game and it fails to live up to expectations they are unlikely to invest in further titles, it's a case of once bitten...
That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I can't say about the viability of crowdfunding now vs. then; but regardless of anything else, you need:

- Something worth showing
- Proof you can finish it
- Ability to self promote

If you need the money to hire on more people to actually finish the game... that's a bit sketchier unless you already have a decent portfolio of game dev work and a solid reputation to lean on.

I've never messed with it personally; but that's more down to knowing my own quirks (I am slowwwww) and knowing how people's attitudes change once *any* money gets involved. I can't self promote to save my life either. :mrgreen:
TheDogCatcher

Post by TheDogCatcher »

Here's a good example of why people are losing faith in kickstarter :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf2i8o3uMAU

It's a shame, but almost inevitable in my opinion given how greedy some people can be, whenever you try and do anything based on trust in this world there are always people willing to abuse it. :(
That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I had considered the option of finishing my game, and then doing a small kickstarter (like $200) to afford a little extra polish.

Here's a post from someone who had a lot more knowledge on the subject then me https://pastebin.com/LphdSB5L

Hope it helps.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

TheDogCatcher wrote:Here's a good example of why people are losing faith in kickstarter :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf2i8o3uMAU
At least the money went to game development...
I juist finished Broken Age, and holy crap - I have no idea where the $3.3mil of Kickstarter money went!? The game definitely doesn't show it - it's a fine game, but the presentation is as crude as your typical 2-person indie game.